Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

I thought "The Cakes" was the nickname of the 20v00 Clapham Yard to Bricklayers Arms van train, much of which consisted of traffic from Lyons Cadby Hall bakery?

Doesn't that come under the Official Secrets Act?:jester:

• Funny 6

• RMweb Gold

It would appear from conversations else where on the RMWeb, that traps and ambushes have been put in place to catch the Cake Commando.

However, as we know here, it was before Christmas so the raid has now come and gone without loss, (apart from a mountain of cake) and the daring duo are now collapsed in a recliner of Rouolade, a bed of Brioche, a deckchair of Dundee Cake, and a poufe of Pavlova.

I wonder how long the poor souls will stay in their snow caves, stagging on and off every four hours and getting cold and miserable in an ambush that ain't going to happen?

More cake Mr Bear?

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

8 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Almost, Bear and I have internal storage compartments

I refer the Big H to my earlier post re misinformation. His failure to read it will be overlooked so long as cake is dispatched tootsweet. Failure to receive such and I will not be held responsible for the consequences. You have been warned.:triniti:

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Having left a ticking time bomb on ER's in the hope the military manoeuvres have distracted the guards there, I thought it would be safer to leave these here instead.

It was mighty cold out there but I just needed a play with some real steam trains, it has been far too long.  Little 'Doona' (Manx = Dark Maiden) ran perfectly as she always does, rattling around with a few opens for half an hour while I froze half to death.

d1.jpg.6e4bc5be9453a5543df37ecb61256a00.jpg

d3.jpg.59a8943868aac13c77598f53c596e8d5.jpg

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Neil,

I don't think there is a finer way to spend half an hour or so just pottering about with a live steamer when it's a cold quiet day.

Some years back, I was in the habit of running an early morning train prior to going to work.  I suspect it took longer to set up and put to bed than the actual running session.  But on a quiet cool morning, standing there with a hot drink in one hand and some buttered toast in the other, just listening to the noise of the engine working and the birds singing, consigned any miserable thoughts to the dustbin.

• Like 8
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Of course as soon as trains are heard, some passengers showed up, so a couple of coaches were added to the train, and a bigger gun brought out of the shed to pull the increasing weight train - we have a 1 in 30 gradient (3% for Douglas) and the little 0-4-2 would now struggle.  Dubh Lacha is rather larger and much heavier although only an 0-4-0, so had little trouble with this length train.

d4.jpg.42aebf46c5251d9d9a9e443585fa8f88.jpg

• Like 9
  • Round of applause 2

Afternoon,

Nice to see a bit of live action. Funnily enough Neil, I’ve just been on the phone to Peter, an old (91year old) friend of mine and Nicky  (Midgley) and we were pondering when our next running session on on the Midgley Garden Railway would be. Not to long I hope.

Robert

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Neil,

I don't think there is a finer way to spend half an hour or so just pottering about with a live steamer when it's a cold quiet day.

Some years back, I was in the habit of running an early morning train prior to going to work.  I suspect it took longer to set up and put to bed than the actual running session.  But on a quiet cool morning, standing there with a hot drink in one hand and some buttered toast in the other, just listening to the noise of the engine working and the birds singing, consigned any miserable thoughts to the dustbin.

I wouldn't ever have time to run trains before work, but it surely is a fine way to send an hour or two.  I'm sure I'll warm up eventually.....

d5.jpg.e23dd0d30dd7cb1725932b1e55e82d3c.jpg

• Like 11

After a considerable rebuild of the winch, a steam test was had this morning. And the results were, Seamus isn’t quite powerful enough for the winch. I can’t say I really care, as it looks the part anyways. And now for some photos, and a video. (The engine was not in steam when pictured on the grass) 

B0E45A0B-6765-450F-9717-99BB11C65F20.jpeg.061a8f9ac006a81e013bd1a947e42627.jpeg

CA3D335A-9290-4023-8559-B26F54E3B18F.jpeg.30ce2e3cf8e946528798f2476243bcc8.jpeg

0B2F286B-07A0-4181-B648-A7072E0D3AE4.jpeg.3524e60aa845d258da3d46efac607955.jpeg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

I notice there is a thread elsewhere about the BBC condoning railway trespass.

I refrained from commenting but did think about it.

My conclusion was the activities of railway enthusiasts in 'bunking' sheds, cleaning locos at dead of night and a lot of the other activities that occurred in the 1960's towards the end of steam, and which people are quite happy to boast about, was also trespass on the railway.

I suspect there are quite a few who frequent these pages who will have to hold their hand up to that, myself included.

However, the only time you'll ever find me on the tracks these days is within a train as a fare paying customer or when using a level crossing!

• Agree 7

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

After a considerable rebuild of the winch, a steam test was had this morning. And the results were, Seamus isn’t quite powerful enough for the winch. I can’t say I really care, as it looks the part anyways. And now for some photos, and a video. (The engine was not in steam when pictured on the grass) 

B0E45A0B-6765-450F-9717-99BB11C65F20.jpeg.061a8f9ac006a81e013bd1a947e42627.jpeg

CA3D335A-9290-4023-8559-B26F54E3B18F.jpeg.30ce2e3cf8e946528798f2476243bcc8.jpeg

0B2F286B-07A0-4181-B648-A7072E0D3AE4.jpeg.3524e60aa845d258da3d46efac607955.jpeg

Give poor Seamus a break!

He's only got a single acting cylinder and is running on less pressure than a flatulent hippo, so to get him to drive a winch and pull a plough is asking a bit much.

You can't scale down friction, and I suspect you'd really need a proper double acting cylinder with a very heavy flywheel and appropriate reduction gearing, plus a goodly increase in boiler pressure to make a winch that works.

10/10 for the  rebuild and you've done a really good job with the new placement for the  steering. 

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

If I were ever to do Air Combat Manoeuvres, no one would ever risk getting into my 'six'.

I don't know, Richard - you wouldn't have to get anywhere near as a half decent heat seeker, even a fairly old one such as an AIM-9M Sidewinder, could probably get a lock-on to a source like that from miles away! 

Dave

Now back from combat air patrol cake defence duty in Switzerland. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

I don't know, Richard - you wouldn't have to get anywhere near as a half decent heat seeker, even a fairly old one such as an AIM-9M Sidewinder, could probably get a lock-on to a source like that from miles away! 

Dave

It would make a heck of an enema.

Jamie

• Funny 9

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Dave

Hi Y'all, Jest set meself down on a pesky little Sidewinder.

Dang well fouled me britches!

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 6

9 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Give poor Seamus a break!

He's only got a single acting cylinder and is running on less pressure than a flatulent hippo, so to get him to drive a winch and pull a plough is asking a bit much.

You can't scale down friction, and I suspect you'd really need a proper double acting cylinder with a very heavy flywheel and appropriate reduction gearing, plus a goodly increase in boiler pressure to make a winch that works.

10/10 for the  rebuild and you've done a really good job with the new placement for the  steering. 

I suggest that you join the Meccano forum. Meccano used to have steam, and electric motors in their range, you could probably learn a lot of useful detail of that sort from them. 

• Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1