Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Earlier this evening I was asked for my opinion on how the Ranger unit that Nyda runs would best make a Trebuchet.

They had thought about using bamboo poles lashed together:  engineering with knots.

Pioneering. Like so:

1652339040_P1000622compressed.JPG.4ca42f602ad739888aca0c79be6eedfd.JPG

Nearly ten years ago now!

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

The mind boggles at the thought of Nyda and a bunch of Rangers being let loose with a trebuchet. Is it for supporting raids on outlying cake stores or what? And what comes next - screaming mimi rocket launchers?

'Night all.

Dave

They could also use the example of the West German farmer who was annoyed at the Luftwaffe aircraft upsetting his animals. He built a trebuchet with the intention of launching large dumplings against low flying aircraft. I'm sure that the combined skills of the rangers could produce both the trebuchet and the dumplings. They could of course use cake from the ready use stores.

Jamie

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

They could also use the example of the West German farmer who was annoyed at the Luftwaffe aircraft upsetting his animals. He built a trebuchet with the intention of launching large dumplings against low flying aircraft. I'm sure that the combined skills of the rangers could produce both the trebuchet and the dumplings. They could of course use cake from the ready use stores.

Jamie

And aim it at Big H who could be waiting several 'hundred' metres/kilometres? away ready to catch it

• Like 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for all the helpful pointers about the Trebuchet.

They have to be table top versions, so visions of PB and myself scurrying around the outfield trying to catch whole cakes will have to be put on hold.

However, as a projector of  Maltesers it might be quite fun.....

None of this undignified scrambling around in search of a snack.  I shall lie on the chaise lounge and issue fire control orders.

Up 200

Left  50

On

Final Protective Fire please....everything you've got!

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 11

Didn’t the National Trust have an unfortunate incident with one of those, a while ago? Burnt down a boathouse, I think? 

I’ve been looking for the video of the Scrapheap Challenge one, which collapsed in a heap when triggered...

Scouts used to go in for some quite lethal amusements, at one time. I remember a contest at a gathering held at, I think, Newmarket involving firing bundles of newspapers (a surprisingly effective missile!)  across a field using a bungee cord with a dozen or more scouts providing the tension. 

Edited by rockershovel
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Jamie

What a terrible waste of cake, PB will be appalled,

• Agree 6

• RMweb Premium

I built a table-top trebuchet from Meccano for my son's school project. It threw marbles but not very far.  The counterweight  box was filled with offcuts of lead flashing from my stock intended for wagon weights, bound up with duct tape to cover the lead.  It came back from school without them and Martyn had no idea where they had gone.  About a year later he found the Physics teacher using them in a demonstration.  A polite request had them returned.

• Like 7
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

The same person who put a stone in the centre of a snowball.

Jamie

Sounds a bit like: 

'He was hit in the face by a small snowball, M'lud, which caused him to fall down the stairs to the cells.'

• Like 4
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Sounds a bit like: 

'He was hit in the face by a small snowball, M'lud, which caused him to fall down the stairs to the cells.'

Or, he tried to bite the toecap on my boot your worship.

Jamie

• Like 3
  • Funny 4

7 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Sounds a bit like: 

Or " He was like that when I found him  your honour, I can only presume  he must have been hit by a tram."

Andy

Edited by SM42
  • Like 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 4

Trebuchets of cake set to danger close.

I remember a wine affecionado killed on midsummer murders by a trebuchet firing bottles of wine from his collection whilst he was pinned to the lawn with croquet hoops whislt his wheelchair ridden wife was forced to watch. She ended up suggesting corrections to fall of shot.

• Funny 6

• RMweb Premium

Speaking of cake, I confess to having some Sunday evening, a slice of chocolate mousse; maybe I should have typed moose, the slice was as big as a moose antler! :biggrin_mini: Otherwise known as death by chocolate!! :yahoo_mini:

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, petethemole said:

I built a table-top trebuchet from Meccano for my son's school project. It threw marbles but not very far.  The counterweight  box was filled with offcuts of lead flashing from my stock intended for wagon weights, bound up with duct tape to cover the lead.  It came back from school without them and Martyn had no idea where they had gone.  About a year later he found the Physics teacher using them in a demonstration.  A polite request had them returned.

Why would a physics teacher want your marbles? :jester:

• Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

Why would a physics teacher want your marbles? :jester:

Any number of interesting experiments...

But i read that as being the lead that had been "borrowed". Again, any number of interesting experiments...

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Matthew got away with “he hit his head on my forearm” on a couple of occasions. Matthew did get bullied at school but usually by the clever bullies who would hit him so he would retaliate and get caught. So he learned to defend himself positively. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

My "hit by a tram" explanation was allegedly used by a great uncle ( a local bobby in the old school mould of 80 odd years ago) when defending an accusation in court by the accused, that he had been assaulted whilst being arrested for being drunk and disorderly  the night before. 

The magistrates response went something  like " Well we must believe our officers mustn't  we? "

Andy

Edited by SM42
  • Like 2
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

I see my own country has just breached its own bastion of freedom and democracy. Tragic. 

Douglas

Unbelievable.  It's like an African third world reaction. We don't do politics here, but........yes, tragic.

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Comments about what is happening in Washington DC are superfluous. And he thinks he will get the Republican nomination in 2024? But as Neil said we don't do politics here. The sore foot is starting to make itself noticeable so I will change the dressing shortly. Tea has brewed, be back later.

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, SM42 said:

My "hit by a tram" explanation was allegedly used by a great uncle ( a local bobby in the old school mould of 80 odd years ago) when defending an accusation in court by the accused, that he had been assaulted whilst being arrested for being drunk and disorderly  the night before. 

The magistrates response went something  like " Well we must believe our officers mustn't  we? "

Andy

A friend of mine (a big lad) used to be in the Met., and spent time in a group that used to involve a Police van full of big lads patrolling, ready to snuff out any trouble PDQ.  Not quite SPG - but kinda heading that way....

He had fun :wink_mini:

• Like 4