Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Gold

PB shouldn't have mentioned giving cake to the reception staff at the surgery. They have just contacted me to arrange a chat with the nurse who deals with breathing issues on Monday morning. If it is the young lady whom I think it is, I will be having breathing issues by the time I get off the phone with her. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 10

1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

I too have been braving the local version of the NHS today, with varying results.  The phone consultation with a young and rather tasty sounding locum GP went well, script etc issued no problem, the referral for a hip x-ray less well. 

The surgery is in the grounds of the local cottage hospital, which has an X-ray department.  So they make a referral, but not an appointment, for which I have to contact the X-ray department myself.  Dialling the cottage hospital number got me bumped on to the switchboard at the main (only other) Noble's hospital on the island, in the Big City way down south. Their switch board then transfers the call to Ramsey X-ray, which is promptly answered by ......the same telephonist in Noble's, in the Big City.  Oh dear. A circular arrangement of transferred calls, which they can't take off from there. Grrrrr.

So I had to call the minor injuries unit, apologise for calling them, but ask them to go to X-ray (it's not a big place) and sort out them taking my call so it didn't get transferred to Noble's again.  I'm always nice to the staff, I was once the manager of an NHS outpatients department for my sins so I know how hard it can be, but sometimes patience wears thin.

To add insult to injury, they could squeeze me in this afternoon, but Mrs NHN has taken my car (automatic) to work at......the cottage hospital today, of all places......and I can't drive hers (manual) as I can't handle the clutch with my hip & foot issues. #sigh# :banghead:

That teaches you doesn't it. Being nice only gives them an opportunity to mess you around:P Speaking of which you know how the 'system' - this term used advisedly as more succinct terms are available, works. Just think what someone who doesn't would do.

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

I too have been braving the local version of the NHS today, with varying results.  The phone consultation with a young and rather tasty sounding locum GP went well, script etc issued no problem, the referral for a hip x-ray less well. 

The surgery is in the grounds of the local cottage hospital, which has an X-ray department.  So they make a referral, but not an appointment, for which I have to contact the X-ray department myself.  Dialling the cottage hospital number got me bumped on to the switchboard at the main (only other) Noble's hospital on the island, in the Big City way down south. Their switch board then transfers the call to Ramsey X-ray, which is promptly answered by ......the same telephonist in Noble's, in the Big City.  Oh dear. A circular arrangement of transferred calls, which they can't take off from there. Grrrrr.

So I had to call the minor injuries unit, apologise for calling them, but ask them to go to X-ray (it's not a big place) and sort out them taking my call so it didn't get transferred to Noble's again.  I'm always nice to the staff, I was once the manager of an NHS outpatients department for my sins so I know how hard it can be, but sometimes patience wears thin.

To add insult to injury, they could squeeze me in this afternoon, but Mrs NHN has taken my car (automatic) to work at......the cottage hospital today, of all places......and I can't drive hers (manual) as I can't handle the clutch with my hip & foot issues. #sigh# :banghead:

"Hello. To help us direct your call,

Please choose from one of the following options:

Press 1 to to be put through to the wrong department

Press 2 to be put on hold

Press 3  to listen to Greensleeves

Press 4  to be cut off

Press 5 for a patronising excuse

Press 6 for a sincere and meangingful apology

Press 7 to speak to someone who is very nice but no help whatsoever

Press 8 to be plunged into a telephonic abyss

Press 9 to hear these options again and listen this time

Andy

• Like 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium

I took my mate Andy out for some rail therapy this afternoon . He and his wife have to isolate for a fortnight from Monday as Mary is due to have a hip replacement. I took him trainspotting and was rewarded with CAKE. I supplied the coffee. Unfortunately SNCF didn't supply many trains. One freight, onevTGV, 2 local passenger EMU's and one supository, aka a Track Testing car that normally works on the high speed lines.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

We are now fighting our way along the reserve Yule Log

Once that is gone SM42 Towers  will a barren cakeless dessert (see what I did there)

Shopping was done today but no cake was in the consignment. Desperate times lie ahead.

Mrs SM42 doesn't mind, she has been knocking a hole in the vodka liquer chocolates.

"How many have you had" I asked

"Not many" she replied

"Really? The box was full this morning and now there's only four  left" I observed

"Evaporation" she explained

A new phenomena has been discovered at SM42 Towers.

Chocolate liquer evaporation

Andy

• Funny 16

29 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Mashing a pot of tea usually results in biscuit evaporation in this house. Time to put the kettle on.

How odd.

Mrs SM42 returned home half an hour ago and tea was made.

No biscuit though, and much as I enjoy a biscuit, it is no substitute for a nice slice of cake.

Andy

Edited by SM42
  • Like 6
  • Agree 3

24 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

It doesn't matter how hard we try and divert the conversation away from cake, I'm afraid it's a bit like a moth to a flame.

Now what about Whisky and Whiskey?

Sorry sir but I find cake very attractive.  

It is after all the national food of Poland. Everywhere you go there is cake

Whiskey was my preference in my youth.

I have now been converted to a clearer spirit. 

I blame the father in law. 

He leads me astray and I let him

Andy

• Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 31/12/2020 at 13:05, Happy Hippo said:

Seamus runs very well.

What fuel are you using? Have you got a spirit burner fitted or is it running on the dehydrated camel dung tablets?

I would buy the gas fired bunker conversion, but those are edging close to $200 direct from Mamod, so I think I’ll stick with the camel dung for now. 

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 1

I’ve previously posted a couple of large photographs of railway subjects, displayed in the windows of a local pharmacy:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/229-early-risers/&do=findComment&comment=2667124

I realized only today that there are another two such pictures on the other side of the building. (I’m concentrating on avoiding other large moving metal objects when I’m passing on that side.)

First one is a train standing at the first Canadian Pacific station in Port Moody. I think the engine (#1190) is a Pacific, but I can't find a CPR steam locomotive roster online. 

IMG_01951.jpg.01a8b9d35cac67931021571e66906a78.jpg

The other is probably the most famous Canadian railway photograph. It's the driving of the last spike on the Canadian Pacific transcontinental mainline at Craigellachie, BC on November 7, 1885. No golden spike - a steel spike just like any other on the line.

799017668_IMG_01941-Copy.jpg.5ada607e286a6dae1932e17a1a881498.jpg

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, BoD said:

Oh, I forget to mention that apart from snow over the welly tops I refused to  wear gloves too.  Not because I was particularly brave, or for that matter, foolish, but because mum had sewn them together with a long piece of ribbon that went up one sleeve and down the other to stop me losing them.

Stop laughing - you all had them.

Bear doesn't recall having them, though I did have a tie that was on elastic.  I remember going to a mate's birthday party (I guess I was 7 or 8 at the time) and coming home with a very sore chin.....

• Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

I would buy the gas fired bunker conversion, but those are edging close to $200 direct from Mamod, so I think I’ll stick with the camel dung for now. 

Be wary of gas burners and Mamod boilers which are soft soldered.

An acquaintance of mine fitted one to an SL1 (0-4-0T) and managed to 'drop the plug' when the steam feed from the boiler, which comes out underneath right in the middle of the firebox area, got too hot.

A properly designed spirit burner might be a better, and cheaper option as the Mamod and their ilk were originally built with spirit firing in mind.  

The meths tablets were a sop to the H&S brigade to prevent hordes of the ignorant practicing self immolation with liquid fuel.

The tablets also found their way into the military arsenal and were provided with a fold up stove to heat up 24 hour ration packs.

Their burn rate was very variable, some good, others dreadful, so most of us bought Trangia type stoves and funded our own fuel.  At the end of an exercise we would end up with a lot of left over fuel tablets which did make pretty good firelighters or BBQ starters!

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

I put some of that in the Christmas cake I made.

Oh, sorry............

Dave

As long as it was whiskey you put in and not whisky that's ok..

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

6 hours ago, pH said:

I’ve previously posted a couple of large photographs of railway subjects, displayed in the windows of a local pharmacy:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/229-early-risers/&do=findComment&comment=2667124

I realized only today that there are another two such pictures on the other side of the building. (I’m concentrating on avoiding other large moving metal objects when I’m passing on that side.)

First one is a train standing at the first Canadian Pacific station in Port Moody. I think the engine (#1190) is a Pacific, but I can't find a CPR steam locomotive roster online. 

IMG_01951.jpg.01a8b9d35cac67931021571e66906a78.jpg

The other is probably the most famous Canadian railway photograph. It's the driving of the last spike on the Canadian Pacific transcontinental mainline at Craigellachie, BC on November 7, 1885. No golden spike - a steel spike just like any other on the line.

799017668_IMG_01941-Copy.jpg.5ada607e286a6dae1932e17a1a881498.jpg

.... for when you have seen the pistons 

of the mighty CPR

with the driving force

of a thousànd horse...

well, you will know what pistons are! 

• Like 8

12 hours ago, SM42 said:

Sorry sir but I find cake very attractive.  

It is after all the national food of Poland. Everywhere you go there is cake

Whiskey was my preference in my youth.

I have now been converted to a clearer spirit. 

I blame the father in law. 

He leads me astray and I let him

Andy

I have no particular knowledge of the Polish diet, but I would certainly say that in my limited experience of the place, whatever happens to you, you won’t be hungry when it does.

Whisky/whiskey is easy-Peasy. Most consumers know which one they prefer, how the “other lot” spell it is of no interest. 

during my Japanese trip in 2019, I discovered that many Japanese lunch counters have 2litre or 3litre plastic bottles of whisky as part of their stock. I don’t recommend the experiment. 

I developed the habit of drinking vodka during my wanderings around the FSU, but now that’s over I’ve reverted to whiskey and gin, and don’t miss it. 

Edited by rockershovel
  • Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I have spent a morning sorting through some unfinished kits I have.

The list shrank as two have been identified as not started, so that reduced the pile somewhat.

I made bread rols this morning in anticipation of bacon for lunch.

My hopes have been dashed as it was pointed out that there are cold bratties to eat up and Salmon for the evening meal.

My tears of woe fell on stony ground, so the upside is being able to have the bacon for breakfast tomorrow instead.

There is some banana bread in the oven at present, so our cup of tea this afternoon will be much enhanced.

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 4

39 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I have spent a morning sorting through some unfinished kits I have.

The list shrank as two have been identified as not started, so that reduced the pile somewhat.

I made bread rols this morning in anticipation of bacon for lunch.

My hopes have been dashed as it was pointed out that there are cold bratties to eat up and Salmon for the evening meal.

My tears of woe fell on stony ground, so the upside is being able to have the bacon for breakfast tomorrow instead.

There is some banana bread in the oven at present, so our cup of tea this afternoon will be much enhanced.

And we are back to cake  pretending to be bread to put bears and others off the scent

43 minutes ago, rockershovel said:

I have no particular knowledge of the Polish diet, but I would certainly say that in my limited experience of the place, whatever happens to you, you won’t be hungry when it does.

Indeed, hunger is not part of the Polish experience.

As they say  "a Pole will offer the contents of the fridge and if that's  empty, the neighbour's"

I am on edge today.

Mrs SM42 is in tidying up mode. The Christmas tree has come down early (6th Feb normally as is her tradition, ) and things are moving at breakneck speed, "do this, do that, clean this, take this out "and so on . Upstairs, downstairs  hither and thither.

I'm not  moving at breakneck speed as still got the bad back.

I have managed to dissuade her from tidying the modelling space.

I'd  never find anything again.

20201221_191502.jpg.cc82c2c61bd28231273703616bf94d76.jpg

I've hidden the mess behind two vans. Hopefully she won't notice it now.

Andy

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 11

Just now, Happy Hippo said:

What mess?

All I can see is a tidy well organized workbench

Mess is not my word.

It was a rather dismissive description uttered by a certain female member of the household. 

Andy

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, SM42 said:

Mess is not my word.

It was a rather dismissive description uttered by a certain female member of the household. 

Andy

I think the term is embedded in all female of the species.

But we can't do without them:laugh_mini:.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Ok this is a new one. 

We are expecting delivery of a new item of lounge furniture later this week  so the old items are being repurposed around the house. 

I have just been called upstairs to trial fit one item. 

" it should fit," she said  "I've measured it.........." 

Wait for it, wait for it.

" with your pants" :huh:

Now being a 70s child I'm not sure if my under apparel is a metric or imperial measure.

Andy

• Funny 12