Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

17 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

The evening flow test has been done.  I'm now recording in excess of 700......  The highest the chart reads is 700, so it's going to be pretty pointless!

Still, I shall persevere.

On a (very) good day I get up to about 320 so I an envious of your results

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold

I think that swimming; diving and snorkelling, rugby and lots of other strenuous sports when I was much younger probably helped.  If I'd not been very fit when I had the double pneumonia in my thirties, I have no doubt that the infection would have killed me.

Even so it took over 6 months before I was able to run and pass the Army BFT (basic fitness test) again.

But I was never as able afterwards and any cold I catch inevitably ends up on my chest as an infection.

The one I have at present, for which I've not been given any medication, is certainly helped by the inhaler.

I can go for hours without any problems and then suddenly catch my breath which leads to a barrage of coughing.

Once it's stopped, which can take some time, using the inhaler seems to calm everything down again.

However, my symptoms and the recovery is fairly quick in comparison to my brother in law who really suffers badly from both asthma and eczema.

On more than one occasion, the poor bloke has ended up in hospital giving the appearance of a wheezing crisp. That is not me trying to make light of it, the condition in it's severe form, is a cruel and vicious attack on the human body that I'd not wish on anyone.

• Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Gold

I was relatively lucky following my pneumonia a couple of years ago as I was very quickly put on two lots of powerful antibiotics and just about managed to keep the fever under control with paracetamol and so didn’t require hospitalisation. However the permanent damage to my lungs is the opposite of asthma, my bronchi are saggy rather than constricted. The breathing exercises do make it sound as if I am sighing so I have to warn Aditi that I am huffing not sighing. Aditi has asthma (she got it for her 40th birthday) but not as severely as her siblings. 
I now have another blood test for tomorrow. My GP must have reviewed Monday’s result and posted me a letter asking me to have the Hb1ac (may have remembered exact name of test incorrectly) done. The one on Monday was just fasting glucose. 
Tony

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 12

I have had asthma since childhood i was hospitalized at 3 yo. I was given an allergy test a load of needles shoved in my leg (where my needle phobia came from). I have had further serious attacks and some milder ones. About 4 years ago i went to the drs with the start of a chest infection and sent away. 3 days later i was on the verge of pneumonia.

• Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Morning all,

As I have the day off from school today, (deep cleaning etc) I took some time after breakfast to go and film the attached video. Apologies for the shaky camera at times, and the sentient windmill...

Douglas

I do like German railways. My collection of items is so eclectic (totally random and unorganised!) I claim to model Ruritanian railways. 

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

I do like German railways. My collection of items is so eclectic (totally random and unorganised!) I claim to model Ruritanian railways. 

I did think of Transylvanian State Railways in the garden once.

No need for any crews or passengers: As in all good horror films the trains would run as if by some form of remote control.

'Are you travelling 1st class Mr Harker?   My Master is in the baggage car.  He'll be along once it gets dark!'

• Funny 7

• RMweb Gold

I have had a peak-flow meter for about 25 years, I think.  I tried it just now, first time in many years, and am just short of 500. I had pneumonia at the end of 2000, and added to lifelong asthma it was not helpful. But my asthma was better in 2020 than for 40 years. At 72, Covid might well find me out, but at least I am not overweight, which seems to be bad news. 

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

I have had a peak-flow meter for about 25 years, I think.  I tried it just now, first time in many years, and am just short of 500. I had pneumonia at the end of 2000, and added to lifelong asthma it was not helpful. But my asthma was better in 2020 than for 40 years. At 72, Covid might well find me out, but at least I am not overweight, which seems to be bad news. 

I wonder if the improvement was due to the lack of pollution caused by the various engines we use for transportation?

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

9 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I did think of Transylvanian State Railways in the garden once.

No need for any crews or passengers: As in all good horror films the trains would run as if by some form of remote control.

'Are you travelling 1st class Mr Harker?   My Master is in the baggage car.  He'll be along once it gets dark!'

A slightly related but totally unconnected story .

A couple of years back myself and Mrs SM42 spent a long weekend in Pickering. A good pub and the station in walking distance, it was a perfect break.

As one does in such a situation,  a train ride to Whitby was taken

All went well until just after leaving Whitby on the return journey and a commotion ensued at the far end of our carriage.

The guard appeared checking tickets and was met with the cry of  "There's a bat in the train" and sure enough there was indeed a real bat flapping about causing a commotion all around.

Eventually it found its way out through the ventilator window (BR Mk 1 stock) which I thought was a very deft bit of airmanship.

Given  Whitby's association with Dracula, it was a rather spooky episode. Checking for puncture wounds then ensued but no-one had succumbed.

Andy

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I wonder if the improvement was due to the lack of pollution caused by the various engines we use for transportation?

Interesting association of circs, certainly. But I once had hay-fever and asthma on a Cross-Channel ferry. I am deeply rural here, yet in 16 years this was much my best, with no use of the prescribed steroids. 

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Oldddudders said:

Interesting association of circs, certainly. But I once had hay-fever and asthma on a Cross-Channel ferry. I am deeply rural here, yet in 16 years this was much my best, with no use of the prescribed steroids. 

That would have been Patrick on the cargo deck with his load of special hay for the racehorses.

• Like 6
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Snip<

I now have another blood test for tomorrow. My GP must have reviewed Monday’s result and posted me a letter asking me to have the Hb1ac (may have remembered exact name of test incorrectly) done. The one on Monday was just fasting glucose. 
Tony

HbA1c gives a blood glucose average over the last three months or so, Tony.  Just had my result today of the latest, on target at 37 or 5.5% whichever units are used.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, rockershovel said:

Isn’t that a box tank, or a saddle tank? 

We are so absorbed with cake and medical dysfunction that this little gem slipped under the radar.

Probably with a yawn and 'not another pannier tank' without even really looking.

I'm now awaiting the onslaught from the red brigade (when they wake up).

• Like 4
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

HbA1c gives a blood glucose average over the last three months or so, Tony.  Just had my result today of the latest, on target at 37 or 5.5% whichever units are used.

I did know what it is for (but not the correct order!) as it is one of the ones Aditi has for tracking her diabetes. Aditi thought if I had been requested to get it done it was because my fasting glucose was higher than normal for me. She said she hopes I wasn’t getting diabetic in addition to everything else.  I think that if it has developed I would rather have it treated than not. It wasn’t difficult to arrange a test for tomorrow so I’ll have feedback fairly quickly. Blood test results get to the GP before the surgery opens the next day. I have had odd fasting glucose results and a high(ish) HbAic before but the Glucose Tolerance test suggested I wasn’t diabetic.  
Tony

• Friendly/supportive 11

Evening,

I spent most of afternoon working on fixing a partially stripped gear and quartering problem on this 1940s but modernized Märklín Deutsche Reichsbahn E63 electric shunter. All seems to be well with it now, so I’ll allow 24 hours for the loctite to set and a test shall be had. 

97E1F3BA-391C-4263-BC3F-ECBAEA26E9FC.jpeg.27031c83da744bc2f7594cb4e7685cd3.jpeg

Douglas

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Evening,

I spent most of afternoon working on fixing a partially stripped gear and quartering problem on this 1940s but modernized Märklín Deutsche Reichsbahn E63 electric shunter. All seems to be well with it now, so I’ll allow 24 hours for the loctite to set and a test shall be had. 

97E1F3BA-391C-4263-BC3F-ECBAEA26E9FC.jpeg.27031c83da744bc2f7594cb4e7685cd3.jpeg

Douglas

Neil, it looks like Douglas is being sub contracted by the Chinese to make our Class 14 locomotive chassis'.

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 6