Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

Only essential shopping may be done so I have been out to buy the latest MRJ, with our own DH appearing in the editorial.  Oh and whilst out, I walked into a health centre and got myself Pfizered!  Basically front line medical staff could turn up after 3pm and get jabbed until they run out of vaccines.  And I've also applied to be a Vaccination Care Volunteer.  Working from home tomorrow.  Bill

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, bbishop said:

Vaccination Care Volunteer

My 5 year old niece did that last weekend. Her Mum felt a bit yucky for a few hours after she got home having had her second Pfizer jab. My niece said she had helped by looking after her Mummy. I asked how. She had made her a get well card. 

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 3
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, bbishop said:

Only essential shopping may be done so I have been out to buy the latest MRJ, with our own DH appearing in the editorial. 

Bear did wonder if they were one and the same - though the one in MRJ is "David" rather than the "Dave" appearing here.  Must've been putting his posh name on for MRJ, whereas he slums it around us lot......

OK, we get the message. :jester:

Edited by polybear
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

It's expensive as in that time I've had to pay the Road fund Licence...........

It hasn't been the Road Fund Licence for donkey's years; nowadays it's Vehicle Excise Duty so the money collected isn't ring fenced for road maintenance, hence it's used for general government wastage and our roads are worthy of a banana republic that's short on bananas.

Dave

• Agree 5
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, polybear said:

Bear did wonder if they were one and the same - though the one in MRJ is "David" rather than the "Dave" appearing here.  Must've been putting his posh name on for MRJ, whereas he slums it around us lot......

OK, we get the message. :jester:

I only use David when I'm travelling incognito........

Dave

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

I have never read MRJ its a bit too 4mm for me besides the point i cant get hold of it locally. So i will miss Dave's editorial. I some times struggle to get Railway Modeller though no probs with Model Rail or BRM

Don't get too excited (yet). He's only mentioned in passing.

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

I only use David when I'm travelling incognito........

Dave

It takes me a moment to register sometimes that when someone calls out “Anthony” they may be looking for me. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 4

I was in a shop and someone called out "are you coming Lauence?" As my name aint exactly commpn I was looking round to see if there was anyone I knew. Turned out she was calling to her husband

Edited by laurenceb
  • Like 1
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

It takes me a moment to register sometimes that when someone calls out “Anthony” they may be looking for me. 

Likewise, I never respond to Jim and the only peopke who called me James are no longer with us. I have to ge a bit careful with official documents to put my 'proper' name.

Jamie

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1

Afternoon all,

Got home from school and decided to face my fears and have another steam of Seamus. The last one, on Monday did not go well at all, as the fire hopped off the burner tray. It was put out with water, not without much high speed contemplation first though. 

Todays went much better. I’ve found the best thing to do is raise steam in the garage, then open the door and drive about on the driveway. The hill certainly helps as well. 

Im not sure I mentioned it before, but I made a new canopy, in the traditional Sopwith Camel method of stretched paper on a wooden and wire frame. Obviously it needs painting and lettering with “Uganda Railways” though. 

5073F411-B078-45A5-9064-89E6CB3830BA.jpeg.4f2e71fceb56d28f33a2ade5f948012c.jpeg

Douglas

Edited by Florence Locomotive Works
Steam not steak!
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

Don't get too excited (yet). He's only mentioned in passing.

Well as long as he's not been mentioned as passed!

Allies in this neck of the woods are hard to come by (Although Coastal View is not too far off).

• Like 4
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium

My maternal grandfather's given name was Jack. He had a lot of trouble with officialdom trying to insist that his name was properly John and eventually used to carry a copy of his birth certificate whenever he expected that form filling or official registration of some sort would be required.

Off to Oswestry tomorrow to take my Dad for his first covid jab (oops, injection - old style nurse Jill hates the term 'jab'). Not exactly local as it's twenty-odd miles away but at least he's having it and I'm available to take him. I hope less distant venues start providing cover soon, though, as to get to the hospital from here by public transport would be a helluva complicated and time consuming business and I don't think that it would be possible for an appointment before something like 10 o'clock or even later. Since at present the patients are by definition over 80.......   

Dave  

• Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

No I always walk like this darling!

As long as he knew whether he was coming or going...

6 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

I think swmbo was inoculated with a gramaphone needle

Wasn't one of the childhood ones done with a scratch rather than an injection, possibly the one for TB.

Jamie

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

7 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

My maternal grandfather's given name was Jack. He had a lot of trouble with officialdom trying to insist that his name was properly John and eventually used to carry a copy of his birth certificate whenever he expected that form filling or official registration of some sort would be required.

I have a brother-in-law whose given name is Harry. He has the same kind of problems.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

As long as he knew whether he was coming or going...

Wasn't one of the childhood ones done with a scratch rather than an injection, possibly the one for TB.

Jamie

Yes, and the smallpox one I had. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

I think swmbo was inoculated with a gramaphone needle

I was once reported for suggesting that about a member of staff's mother. Except it wasn't inoculation I referred to. When he, at a disciplinary hearing, told the Area Manager what I'd said, the stony-faced one laughed out loud! A week later the miscreant was making me bacon sandwiches again on early turn......

The Area Manager concerned was a famously miserable soul, devoid of social graces and unwilling to talk informally to any staff below manager level. A few years later he had a nervous breakdown. When this was announced at the Area Managers' monthly meeting, the rest laughed!

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

Well, it was an early start to get the car into the garage for it's MoT.  (I know it should now be a Vosa test, but if you say that, people look at you as if you are speaking scribble.)

It will be collected on Monday morning as I'm not going out again this weekend.

All the track I've been playing and scheming with has been boxed up, and will go into the PW store (the garage roof) later on this morning.

This is because I have been carrying out an in depth evaluation and comparison regarding all the schemes I have come up with regarding track plans and model railway operations.

The conclusion was rather simple:  All my schemes, both large and small, are variations on a theme.

Train arrives, is stripped of it's brake van and is then placed in a siding, where it is despatched elsewhere to be unloaded.  Later the unloaded wagons are returned to the sidings and made up into a train, the brake van replaced and off it goes, returning  to the 'rest of the world'.  I think part of the fun is managing the fiddle yard so that you always have the empties in/fulls out in the correct place on the traverser.  (It's not so difficult with cassettes or if you have removeable loads.)

We all have our pet hates when it comes to model railways and mine are:

Open wagons which either arrive and depart full/empty without any loading/unloading taking place.

Correct siting and use of signals.

Any form of modern TMD where the baseboards is overfull of sound fitted diesels, all running but with no where to go.

I can cope with not having the correct lamps on a loco or the end of a train as on an end to end line you'd end up mentally deranged after a long operating session were you to try and keep the laps correct at all times. (Although it would slow things down a bit!!)

I can also cope with  slight anacronisms.

But my favourite scheme is the slight change to history where the closed line in question remains open albeit in rationalized form to serve a particular industry, whilst the once teeming passenger service has been replaced with a very rudimentary timetable.

Invariably these schemes tend to occur during the mid 60's.

Grubby panniers shifting wagons around interspersed with a single 'bubble car' clattering past, trying to make ends meet.

You will of course have your own variations on this

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 4