Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

It's got a Mig in it so Dave will slot it with a Sparrow

Not as many sparrows round here as there used to be.  Plenty of mig welders on the industrial estate though. 

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

1967, me and the missus were camping in Anglesey, in a site which just happened to be underneath the flight path into Valley. Just turned in, as it was going dark, then we sensed this very faint whistle up above, and a few seconds later, there was this almighty roar from the runway, then a minute or three goes by, then there’s this whistle, then there’s this roar, so it goes on, and we’re shaking in our beds waiting for the next whistle sound, Til we’re nervous wrecks. Found you, you ***t.

• Like 6
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, polybear said:

Ah yes, but that's how a mere skirmish becomes an all-out war.....:laugh:

I think most people plan wars against the USA then immediately surrender and get a Marshall Plan type scheme in place to totally rebuild your industries and transport infrastructure.

Just think of the number of cake processing plants, connected by railways we could get built.

If we branched out into the Whisky distilling business we could be on to a life of luxury in pretty short order.

• Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Happy Hippo said:

Just think of the number of cake processing plants, connected by railways we could get built.

If we branched out into the Whisky distilling business we could be on to a life of luxury in pretty short order.

I'm reminded of Gnasher the Abyssinian Wirehound in The Beano:

Denis: "Are you thinking what I'm thinking?"

Gnasher (thought bubble): "Yes, where would we get the money to build a sausage factory?"

• Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

I'm reminded of Gnasher the Abyssinian Wirehound in The Beano:

Denis: "Are you thinking what I'm thinking?"

Gnasher (thought bubble): "Yes, where would we get the money to build a sausage factory?"

A favourite of Bear; you may need to lie down afterwards.....

http://calvin-and-hobbes-comic-strips.blogspot.com/2011/11/calvin-asks-dad-about-old-black-and.html

• Like 5
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, polybear said:

http://calvin-and-hobbes-comic-strips.blogspot.com/2011/11/calvin-asks-dad-about-old-black-and.html

There was a whole issue devoted to Denis' Dad reminiscing about the days when The Beano was printed in just black and red.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 7

8 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Iimage.png.d3d9ff53201f99ee9afe9f6017a596d3.png

Being as I used to be the King of Radio Relay, I found this amusing.

I think it's in the Caribbean.

We don't have a pigeon problem round here.  It's Seagulls. (and I don't mean the backs for all you rugby fans)

Squawking all night, carpet bombing everywhere.

"Theyre endangered" they say,

"You're counting 'em at the seaside where they don't live" I say

Unfortunately they are the wrong type of gull

Andy

Edited by SM42
I really shouldn't post after wine
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, polybear said:

Ah, Calvin & Hobbes - one of the best ever cartoon strips. It was brilliant in many ways, not least of which was the way that whenever only Calvin and Hobbes were in a frame, Hobbes was a seven foot tiger but as soon as anyone else appeared he was a small soft toy.  I suppose that their relationship was a bit like NHN and Donk really. Now there's a thought for a comic strip......

Dave

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 7

22 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

We get gulls and pigeons. Gulls v crows is a common event down at the park.

But we got more of 'em.

Gulls v crows sounds like the makings of a computer game. 

Andy

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

8 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I think most people plan wars against the USA then immediately surrender and get a Marshall Plan type scheme in place to totally rebuild your industries and transport infrastructure.

Our neighbours came from Romania. They say that during the time of Ceausescu, the favourite ‘soap’ on TV was ‘Dallas’. (No, they don’t know how that ended up on TV in Romania, either.) People hoped Ceausescu would annoy the US enough that they would invade, then rebuild the country and everyone could enjoy the ‘Dallas’ standard of living.

• Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, laurenceb said:

What is the difference etween grey & gray? ( in uk English )

In British English, grey is a colour between black and white but gray is the SI unit of absorbed dose of ionising radiation, equal to one joule per kilogram. In American English, gray is both of the above.

Gray as a surname comes from the Borders. I don't know if the Grays were on the English of Scottish side (not that it made much difference in practice) but I suppose the name comes from their habit of choosing especially miserable foggy days for their reiving. 

Edited by Compound2632
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, laurenceb said:

The difference I read is that Gray is a mix of black & white whereas Grey is a mix of black & white and at least one other colour ie a grey sky has blue in the mix

Pardon me for doubting. I keep being told that pre-Grouping wagon grey should be devoid of any hint of blue, on account of the constituents being white lead and lamp black; white pigments only gaining a blue hint with the introduction of zinc white in the 30s.

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, laurenceb said:

Therefore it should be spelled gray

"Should be spelled" is an opinion, one that I'm afraid is not supported by useage. Lexi* affirms that there is no support for the spelling "gray" for the colour in current British English.

*Mrs Compound2632, aka Beatrice, in her aspect as a professional lexicographer.

Edited by Compound2632
Blunder: I wrote that there was no support for "grey" when I meant "gray" - corrected.
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

"Should be spelled" is an opinion, one that I'm afraid is not supported by useage. Lexi* affirms that there is no support for the spelling "grey" for the colour in current British English.

*Mrs Compound2632 aka Beatrice, in her aspect as a professional lexicographer.

Somebody had better tell Dulux, Crown, Farrow and Ball, Humbrol, Revell and Tamiya all of whom use grey rather than gray in their current paint ranges.

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4