Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Somebody had better tell Dulux, Crown, Farrow and Ball, Humbrol, Revell and Tamiya all of whom use grey rather than gray in their current paint ranges.

Major blunder now corrected in post! The customary British English spelling is indeed "grey".

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

The difference between Grey and Gray is gray brings a clip round the ear 'ole from the English teacher..

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Well gents,

I have news.

I finally, after many many hours of gardening and woodchopping to acquire funds, have purchased a kit of my favorite engine, the MIdland Railway Kirtley goods. 

*clapping and droning noises*

No, its not the Slaters kit, tis the old Keyser 4mm one. I intend to build it into a pretty decent model, so my airbush will need to be dug out, and I'll have to do some motor and gearbox reseach on Highlevel. 

Although I am technically a GWR man, as my first british outline engine was a 2721 pannier, I have gravitated toward the Midland in recent years. Though, I may add, both did have green engines.

I'm not sure which livery to do, Midland Green, Midland red, "goods brown" or Br black, for running on @kiwiokie (dads) North wales layout. (still under construction)

Anyways here's a photo of a Slater's one. (credit)

image.png.fca1d8ec0c0d49920e02e2966682d2a3.png

If anybody has tips on making K's outside cranks last longer, please let me know.

Douglas

Edited by Florence Locomotive Works
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Well gents,

I have news.

I finally, after many many hours of gardening and woodchopping to acquire funds, have purchased a kit of my favorite engine, the MIdland Railway Kirtley goods. 

*clapping and droning noises*

No, its not the Slaters kit, tis the old Keyser 4mm one. I intend to build it into a pretty decent model, so my airbush will need to be dug out, and I'll have to do some motor and gearbox reseach on Highlevel. 

Although I am technically a GWR man, as my first british outline engine was a 2721 pannier, I have gravitated toward the Midland in recent years. Though, I may add, both did have green engines.

I'm not sure which livery to do, Midland Green, Midland red, "goods brown" or Br black, for running on @kiwiokie (dads) North wales layout. (still under construction)

Anyways here's a photo of a Slater's one. (credit)

image.png.fca1d8ec0c0d49920e02e2966682d2a3.png

If anybody has tips on making K's outside cranks last longer, please let me know.

Douglas

I think you'd just need to throw the 'K's' cranks away and invest in some Gibson wheels with the accompanying extended axles and fly cranks.

Tell us more about your father's N Wales line.  It's a not often modelled area if you ignore the rash of narrow gauge model railways that purport to originate from that area. 

Iain Rice has come up with a few LNWR/Cambrian track plans in his time.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Welcome to the way of truth and beauty in locomotive appreciation Douglas. I built a Ks Kirtley 0-6-0 probably about the time your parents were born and it ran well even with an XO4 in it, having plenty of weight and haulage capacity. Actually I still have it in a box in my workshop somewhere but it hasn't turned a wheel in forty years. Since it is in Deeley condition with a six dog smoke box door I painted it plain black with large tender numerals, i.e., as running post-1907. Good luck with the kit; I look forward to seeing further reports.

Dave

Edited by Dave Hunt
Posted before completion - finger trouble.
  • Like 7
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Technically a GWR man? :nono: Just when you were doing so well.....

Oh, hang on.....you're starting to see the light.....there is hope after all......

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 5

24 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Tell us more about your father's N Wales line.

Its of the line coming into Pwllheli, and the accompanying station. Currently only the station module benchwork has been completed, and the track laid out along with the paper footprints for the buildings. Its set in around the Mid 50s. At the moment only the up line into the main platform is powered, and used a test track for my Bachman 3f and the various other locos we have packed away awaiting the layouts completion. I'll try get some photos in between classes as I'm quarinited at the moment.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

28 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I think you'd just need to throw the 'K's' cranks away and invest in some Gibson wheels with the accompanying extended axles and fly cranks.

Agreed sir, Gibson wheels were something I forgot to mention in the first post. I'll look into the extended axles and flycranks.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Its of the line coming into Pwllheli, and the accompanying station. Currently only the station module benchwork has been completed, and the track laid out along with the paper footprints for the buildings. Its set in around the Mid 50s. At the moment only the up line into the main platform is powered, and used a test track for my Bachman 3f and the various other locos we have packed away awaiting the layouts completion. I'll try get some photos in between classes as I'm quarinited at the moment.

You might find these of some use:

https://www.s-r-s.org.uk/html/gwu/S3246.htm

https://www.s-r-s.org.uk/html/gwu/S3247.htm

• Informative/Useful 3

5 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Well gents,

Douglas

Paint it green, that will get the "experts" muttering

• Funny 4

7 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

"Should be spelled" is an opinion, one that I'm afraid is not supported by useage. Lexi* affirms that there is no support for the spelling "gray" for the colour in current British English.

*Mrs Compound2632, aka Beatrice, in her aspect as a professional lexicographer.

I cant for the life of me remember where I came across the statement, it might have been in an art book or something similar

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The trouble with all these fancy Victorian liveries, is the amount of ornate lining that was required.

Since I am blessed with the painting finesse of a tar brush with only three thick bristles, my locos are unlined black.

I once lined out the shafts of a full size wagonette.  Two yellow lines with a black centre.  Never again!

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

once lined out the shafts of a full size wagonette

When Dad was in the army they once had to collect a replacement tank from a Guards Regiment. Dad said it was beautifully lined out. They had been told to see it working before they returned with it though. 

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, laurenceb said:

I cant for the life of me remember where I came across the statement, it might have been in an art book or something similar

“Chromatography; or, a Treatise on Colours and Pigments, and of their Powers in Painting” published in 1835, the chemist George Field wrote that gray “denotes a class of cool cinereous colours in which blue predominates,” while Field reserves grey to describe a more neutral shade. However, such nuanced distinctions are not observed in popular usage today.

The above perhaps?

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

The trouble with all these fancy Victorian liveries, is the amount of ornate lining that was required.

Since I am blessed with the painting finesse of a tar brush with only three thick bristles, my locos are unlined black.

I once lined out the shafts of a full size wagonette.  Two yellow lines with a black centre.  Never again!

I’m probably going to the short lived Midland “Goods Brown” livery, which is more interesting than black but significantly less complicated than fully lined chrimson. The only lining looks to be the boiler bands. I would post an example phot bits it’s not an excepted file apparently. 

• Like 3