Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium

A lovely prototype Douglas. Like Dave I also built a K's Kirtleybover 40 years ago and now have an unlined black one and a lined red one, both 7mm from Slaters kits,. I didn't build the red one.  I'll try and post some photos.

Jamie

• Like 5

Here are the photos of Pwllheli. It’s a bit of a mess at the moment, with random stock lying around. Everything is to scale, as my dad found the Ordnance Survey maps, converted them to a pdf, then scaled them down to scale, and finally had them scanned and printed. Both for track outline and buildings. 

332350E5-CE78-44E6-8C0E-53FAAEC2F629.jpeg.5134649c5a4db9a54f8e5386174b9f61.jpeg

My Bachman 3f with some maroon composites. And a sneaky Hornby autocoach. 

6B14D4BF-5B4F-48C7-B75F-2AC8DC587A9D.jpeg.a4f689620039f3aa43f8b8ab51c8c285.jpeg

Overhead looking East towards Llandudno. 

A1B285DD-730D-491F-AE9E-0C95AAD7F099.jpeg.e5f84e9b40ce58ab7563f16384c72b24.jpeg

Looking west towards the Atlantic. In fact the Atlantic comes right up to the edge of the board on the left, this is Pwllheli harbor.

Douglas

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Here are the photos of Pwllheli. It’s a bit of a mess at the moment, with random stock lying around. Everything is to scale, as my dad found the Ordnance Survey maps, converted them to a pdf, then scaled them down to scale, and finally had them scanned and printed. Both for track outline and buildings. 

332350E5-CE78-44E6-8C0E-53FAAEC2F629.jpeg.5134649c5a4db9a54f8e5386174b9f61.jpeg

My Bachman 3f with some maroon composites. And a sneaky Hornby autocoach. 

6B14D4BF-5B4F-48C7-B75F-2AC8DC587A9D.jpeg.a4f689620039f3aa43f8b8ab51c8c285.jpeg

Overhead looking East towards Llandudno. 

A1B285DD-730D-491F-AE9E-0C95AAD7F099.jpeg.e5f84e9b40ce58ab7563f16384c72b24.jpeg

Looking west towards the Atlantic. In fact the Atlantic comes right up to the edge of the board on the left, this is Pwllheli harbor.

Douglas

Time for a quick Welsh geography  lesson!:laugh_mini:

The whole of Ireland is used by Wales as the breakwater that keeps the North Atlantic from pounding the coastline to death. 

Pwllheli, which is on the south side of the LLeyn peninsular actually faces south into Cardigan Bay which is part of the St Georges Channel.

The St George's Channel separates  Wales from Eire.  It joins the Irish Sea in the north to the Celtic Sea in the south.  (The Celtic sea contains the Bristol Channel and part of the Western Approaches (Called thus because depending on your course setting depended on whether you sailed up the Bristol or English channels.)

Going east from Pwllheli will get you to Porthmadog:  Llandudno is well up to the North East  on the northern coast.  Nyda was born there.

I was born in Cardiff at the opposite end of the Principality, and am classified as a South Wales Yank.........  I think it's something to do with the accent see!

Trying to remember all that has really taxed my brain, so I'll bid you good night!

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Time for a quick Welsh geography  lesson!:laugh_mini:

The whole of Ireland is used by Wales as the breakwater that keeps the North Atlantic from pounding the coastline to death.  ...snip...

:yahoo_mini::yahoo_mini::lol::yahoo_mini:

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

And in North Wales the men sing bass as opposed to South Wales where they sing tenor, something to do with the way that slate dust and coal dust effects the lungs I am told. However all Welsh sheep are very wary of men especially if they are wearing wellies.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Danemouth said:

Has Cardiff got over that yet HH?  :)

Dave

p.s It's hissing down today and very,very dull!

Just think how much worse it would be if I was still a resident:diablo_mini:.

I am currently ploughing through my 0-6-2t Papers for the 56xx and 66xx series of locos.  Towards the end of their lives the vast majority ended up large welded replacements to their side tanks, rather than just replacing the whole tank.

Of course, the only kits available are 'as built' so do not represent the locos during their later life.  In 4 mm scale the Bachmann 56/66 masquerades under many different numbers, but lack this rather distinctive feature.  Ditto the 7mm offerings

This weld line is very distinctive, as are any individual patches, that were also applied to some of the fleet.

I don't suppose if I built one, very many people would notice the error, but I would!

However, so far I have tracked down  couple of the later 66xx series (those contracted out to be built by Armstrong Witworth) that appear to be original, but Sod's Law dictates they are based on English sheds rather than those in South Wales.  I shall persevere with my quest.

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Welsh sheep are very wary of men

I hadn’t been teaching very long. I was in the staffroom when the head of geography asked if anyone had a copy of that weekends Sunday Times magazine with an article about  British sheep breeds. I said I had and I would bring it in for him. I quite innocently asked why he was interested in sheep thinking he was going to give some geographical answer about breed variety still being regional. Except he absolutely erupted with anger about “you ****ing English and your obsession with the Welsh and sheep. I had to have his outburst explained to me. 

• Funny 12
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

More on the 56/66xx saga:

Of the nine locomotives preserved, only 6695 does not display the characteristic weld lines along the side tanks.

However, one of Bob Masterman's photos of 6695 in S Wales shows 6695 with the characteristic weld along the lh tank, so I suspect that the tank sides have been completely replaced on the reconstruction after preservation.

Of course should a manufacturer decide to laser scan a preserved loco with a view to reproducing one as an rtr loco,  picking one of the majority would then preclude a version in the earlier 'Great Western' green livery.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

At the weighbridge at Asw tremorfa works they allegedly had an inflatable sheep with "hands off our Blodgdwen" written all over it

Most inflatable sheep have leeks (sic), judging by the number of times they need to be pumped back up by concerned onlookers.

• Funny 10

• RMweb Gold

There was an amusing follow up to the angry geographer. Many of the staff were Welsh and were quite amused that I had never heard about sheep allegations. I said that I genuinely had not and I hadn’t even known that Roger the geographer was Welsh. All the other staff said don’t tell him that as that would really upset him. 

• Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Tony_S said:

I hadn’t been teaching very long. I was in the staffroom when the head of geography asked if anyone had a copy of that weekends Sunday Times magazine with an article about  British sheep breeds. I said I had and I would bring it in for him. I quite innocently asked why he was interested in sheep thinking he was going to give some geographical answer about breed variety still being regional. Except he absolutely erupted with anger about “you ****ing English and your obsession with the Welsh and sheep. I had to have his outburst explained to me. 

A true story....

Some years ago (20+) there was an article in the local paper - some guy had been caught at 3am on a nearby sheep farm with what Police described in court as a "wire noose and various surgical appliances".  When asked by the judge what was the defendant doing at 3am of a sheep farm with a wire noose and various surgical appliances, the defendant replied that he had "a part share in  a sheep farm in Wales and he was inspecting the sheep for foot rot"......

The judge confiscated his various gadgets and he was bound over to be a good boy.

The best bit is that the bloke's name and address appeared in the article.....:rofl:

• Like 4
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, polybear said:

A true story....

Some years ago (20+) there was an article in the local paper - some guy had been caught at 3am on a nearby sheep farm with what Police described in court as a "wire noose and various surgical appliances".  When asked by the judge what was the defendant doing at 3am of a sheep farm with a wire noose and various surgical appliances, the defendant replied that he had "a part share in  a sheep farm in Wales and he was inspecting the sheep for foot rot"......

The judge confiscated his various gadgets and he was bound over to be a good boy.

The best bit is that the bloke's name and address appeared in the article.....:rofl:

Bound over what?

The mind boggles!

• Funny 8

6 minutes ago, Canal Digger said:

92219642_2738982949484270_5104705361579868160_n.jpg

I always do number 3 when I'm concentrating on something fiddly , like making up 3 link couplings 

Andy

Edited by SM42
  • Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

I went to see a neurological consultant this morning as a follow up to my TIA last year and he told me that my brain is OK, so there goes another rumour.

Must stop saying wibble then.

Night night each.

Dave

• Like 6
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 8

36 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

I went to see a neurological consultant this morning as a follow up to my TIA last year and he told me that my brain is OK, so there goes another rumour.

Must stop saying wibble then.

Night night each.

Dave

Well that's good news then. He wibbled you right then.

And its good night from him and a wobble from me.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Donk is fully passed out at several railways, Dave.  The oily smuts ruin his coat though so he doesn't drive that often, just enough to keep himself current.  He was NOT IMPRESSED with getting chucked in the washer afterwards.....

P1100088.jpg.91b7e712f78393e1b6ca557613e3b225.jpg

P1110791.jpg.88003efe415afcef8e0b43b592db5d56.jpg

• Like 14
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Last night North Hipposhire turned white again and at 2300 was about 3 inches deep in the stuff but it's melting fairly quickly now. I've started a week's blood pressure recording as when I was at the hospital yesterday it was stratospheric and the consultant told me to keep a record then see the GP if it maintained above 140 over 85. There's allus bl**dy summat as the French say. Maybe the tonnage reducing regime will help.

Dave

• Friendly/supportive 13