Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Maybe the tonnage reducing regime will help

I am supposed to be losing weight but the nurse at the heart clinic is pleased that I have a good appetite. My blood pressure wasn’t very high (except when being measured by anyone other than my GP) but I do feel “better” after starting the medication to relax blood vessels and reduce pulse rate. 

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold

I went for a walk this morning.  although it was quite sunny there is a rather sharp wind blowing that you don't realise is there until you get out of the shelter of the hedges and get out onto the more exposed parts of the area.

Muddy Hollow (Forward) is very full of water although the snow that Dave mentioned earlier has all but disappeared.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Dave, my BP is always nuts at the GP's, similar to your readings, as a result of too much time working in the NHS I think - I saw too much sadness and know only too well what can happen to ill people.  At home I'm 95% fine, only very occasionally above the 120/80 target - usually when I'm worrying about my health....figures really!  I always thought it was daft taking a BP when you're in a situation of stress, you're there because you're worries about your health in the first place - upward spiral.  122/76 this morning.....  :smoke:

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Dave, my BP is always nuts at the GP's, similar to your readings, as a result of too much time working in the NHS I think - I saw too much sadness and know only too well what can happen to ill people.  At home I'm 95% fine, only very occasionally above the 120/80 target - usually when I'm worrying about my health....figures really!  I always thought it was daft taking a BP when you're in a situation of stress, you're there because you're worries about your health in the first place - upward spiral.  122/76 this morning.....  :smoke:

Mine does likewise, but when I take my own reading, following the instructions to the letter, then I get afar more sensible result.

Peoples' blood pressure isn't helped by the current situation and the worry it is causing so thank you Imperial College who carried out a study and make claims such as I heard this morning.

There was no change to the rate of positive Covid test for the first 10 days of the lockdown.

Well what did they think would happen?  Recent infections will only show up when the victim shows symptoms which may well be after the lockdown starts.  Logically you put in marker points for the statistics: Start/middle/end of lockdown. Having a rough idea of the incubation period, I'd be looking for a levelling out after about 14 days, and a gradual decline after 21.  After a 28 day period I'd expect to see a significant decrease in reported cases.

However, such news is likely to upset and stress large segments of the population unless it is also reported that this is what a statistician would expect to see.

Journalists are becoming more like politicians these days:  Economical with the truth!

And do not get me started on why the hell the BBC and ITV decided to show the inauguration of Joe Biden. Did we really need more than a 5 minute segment in the evening news to let us know that a foreign country had elected a new president? Sorry to our friends the other side of the pond, but I cannot believe your media get as worked up and must watch when we elect a new government.

Snarl/howl/rant/rave/cake/cake/cake/wallow/calm/mellow/serenity.

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold

I suppose because I am interested in politics I didn’t mind a few quiz programmes being postponed due to the events in Washington. Though I don’t see why it couldn’t be shown just on the BBC news channel instead of BBC1. Unfortunately due to the rotation of the earth something arranged for lunchtime in Washington is going to interfere with the tea time news in the UK. Things involving the UK Head of State would be early breakfast time in the. USA. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Journalists are becoming more like politicians these days:  Economical with the truth!

Journalists (in the main - there are one or two good 'uns) aren't interested in truth.  Their only interests are sh1t stirring, making a name for themselves, selling papers.  Brexit, C-19 and Trumpie?  They must be like pigs in sh1t.

Not to mention demanding that a Minister resigns cos' the toilet roll has run out and there's no replacement.

• Like 6
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Gold

The female member of staff at the Hippodrome has decreed that saving have to be made.

This comes after a spending spree in the sales that will ensure all sorts of gifts presents and cards will be in stock for the next couple of years.

Unfortunately this moratorium has been extended to alcohol and delights such as scones and cake.  The alcohol does not include that served for medicinal purposes, but the rest means no treats until her birthday.

Normally this would not be a problem as I'd call in at a shop when out on my travels and purchase stuff that would be consumed in the workshop or garage: Out of sight, out of mind.  But with the present lockdown in place, such trips are non existent.

This makes me feel quite ill.....

Medicinal purposes she said, Where's the Midland Red bottle?

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 13

22 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

The female member of staff at the Hippodrome has decreed that saving have to be made.

This comes after a spending spree in the sales that will ensure all sorts of gifts presents and cards will be in stock for the next couple of years.

Unfortunately this moratorium has been extended to alcohol and delights such as scones and cake.  The alcohol does not include that served for medicinal purposes, but the rest means no treats until her birthday.

Normally this would not be a problem as I'd call in at a shop when out on my travels and purchase stuff that would be consumed in the workshop or garage: Out of sight, out of mind.  But with the present lockdown in place, such trips are non existent.

This makes me feel quite ill.....

Medicinal purposes she said, Where's the Midland Red bottle?

That is a trifle harsh, hopefully MrsHH birthday is not that far away otherwise if it was me I would be very concerned for my personal sanity :D

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Medicinal purposes she said,

My brother in law as a hobby started making all sorts of fermented products including fermented dairy drinks. I suspect if you had jugs of strange looking beverages bubbling all over the house, the ban on purchases might be eased. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 8
  • Round of applause 1

5 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I really don't think it is just *these days* IMHO they have always been so, but with the multiple sources of news we have its easier to see what they are doing.

5 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

And do not get me started on why the hell the BBC and ITV decided to show the inauguration of Joe Biden. Did we really need more than a 5 minute segment in the evening news to let us know that a foreign country had elected a new president? Sorry to our friends the other side of the pond, but I cannot believe your media get as worked up and must watch when we elect a new government.

Relief that 45 has gone?

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

Had to pop into Shrewsbury today and the River Severn is already very high and this is before the rain that dropped over the Welsh hills has arrived. Hopefully it won't flood the businesses on Smithfield Road again as its less than a year since the last time.

• Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 5

1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

My brother in law as a hobby started making all sorts of fermented products including fermented dairy drinks. I suspect if you had jugs of strange looking beverages bubbling all over the house, the ban on purchases might be eased. 

Me and my brother tried homebrew lager it turned out ok. Mum moaned about taking up the airing cupboard.

• Like 9
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, bbishop said:

He found it?  Bill

Yes, and it's a lot higher up than the rumours have it.

The River Tern has burst its banks about 400 yards south of us; fortunately it is over fifty feet below us but all the fields down there are now lakes and the flow rate through the bridges is greater than it's been since about this time last year. Since the Tern empties into the Severn it's not going to help with the levels downstream at Shrewsbury.

There are so many extensive muddy hollows hereabouts that I'm expecting an influx of HH's relatives anytime now but since my tonnage reducing regime means that there is no cake on the premises they probably won't stay long.

Dave

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, simontaylor484 said:

Me and my brother tried homebrew lager it turned out ok. Mum moaned about taking up the airing cupboard.

My aunt (Mums sister) and uncle lived as lodgers in a house over the road from my Dad’s parents. I was about 4 and staying with my grandparents. I was taken over the road to visit Aunty and Uncle. There was a lot of shouting. Apparently my Aunt’s ginger beer had exploded in the airing cupboard soaking everything. I think my Gran helped with the laundry. 

• Funny 9

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, coastalview said:

That is a trifle harsh, hopefully MrsHH birthday is not that far away otherwise if it was me I would be very concerned for my personal sanity :D

Three weeks, but fear not, I was able to take Penderyn this evening.

But purely on medical grounds.

With a bit of water added it really does help my cough.  Honest! 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Yes, and it's a lot higher up than the rumours have it.

The River Tern has burst its banks about 400 yards south of us; fortunately it is over fifty feet below us but all the fields down there are now lakes and the flow rate through the bridges is greater than it's been since about this time last year. Since the Tern empties into the Severn it's not going to help with the levels downstream at Shrewsbury.

There are so many extensive muddy hollows hereabouts that I'm expecting an influx of HH's relatives anytime now but since my tonnage reducing regime means that there is no cake on the premises they probably won't stay long.

Dave

You can do without cake if there is the opportunity for a wallow in a muddy hollow.

The crowd you don't want are the Escobar mob.  If truth be told, they are still carrying on the trade of their former employer, but there is no money trail for the CIA, DEA and the other federal authorities to follow.

My advice to follow the trail of crumbs was laughed at. 

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 10

4 hours ago, Tony_S said:

My aunt (Mums sister) and uncle lived as lodgers in a house over the road from my Dad’s parents. I was about 4 and staying with my grandparents. I was taken over the road to visit Aunty and Uncle. There was a lot of shouting. Apparently my Aunt’s ginger beer had exploded in the airing cupboard soaking everything. I think my Gran helped with the laundry. 

My dad once found a bottle of home-made ginger beer that had been forgotten at the back of a cupboard - fortunately before it exploded. He took it outside to open it - it could have been used as a fire extinguisher!

• Like 4
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium

I brewed my own beer at one point before I got married. The last pint, thatvwas full of yeast made great stock for stews. My mother and aunt, both committed Methodist teetotallers, came for lunch one day. They said that the stew was very tasty. I chickened out of telling them the secret ingredient.

Jamie

• Funny 11

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

My advice to follow the trail of crumbs was laughed at. 

Bears never leave crumbs....just the thought of such a thing brings me out in a cold sweat.  The waste, the shame....

• Round of applause 2
  • Funny 10

On 14/01/2021 at 01:04, Happy Hippo said:

More details on the industrial spur would be nice.

On 14/01/2021 at 22:23, pH said:

I'll get some more pictures of it, then put them all together in a single post. But don’t hold your breath!

Here you go:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/41022-occasional-canadian-photos-mostly-from-vancouver-area/&do=findComment&comment=4286008

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

I received a What's App message from my daughter informing me that her husband was very keen to buy an electric trainset for their son's birthday.

Much as I am a very keen to encourage children to get into the model railway hobby, I advised against it!

Without going into detail of the the why and why not reply I sent, I suggested that instead they may consider a Duplo battery electric train  as it is compatible with the Duplo and Lego they already have. 

Plus the fact that the recipient will only be three years old next month.

• Like 7
  • Agree 6