Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium

Hornby pre-war clockwork tinplate that was my Dad's consisting of an oval of track laid down on the carpet with a level crossing made by Dad and an 'LMS' 0-4-0 tank engine plus some trucks was my first toy train set that I was allowed to play with from the age of about 3. When I was 6 it was replaced at Christmas by a Hornby  Dublo 3 rail Duchess of Atholl and 3 blood and custard coaches that ran on an 8ft x 4ft layout on a hardboard base with wooden framing that Dad made for me. Over the next few years I acquired a Standard 2-6-4T, an ex-LNER 0-6-2T, a rake of Gresley coaches and several wagons while the layout gained a station, goods shed and various lineside features. The whole lot was sold when I discovered 2 rail models but I didn't start what I would consider 'proper' modelling until after getting my elder son his N Gauge stuff when I was in my mid twenties. 

Dave

Edited by Dave Hunt
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium

I always wanted trains.  I don't know what the first ones were, but I'm sure that one was a Rheingold.

One uncle in Scotland sent a Hornby clockwork when I was 3 or 4. Then possibly a year later Santa brought a Hornby O gauge electric set. (This would be about 1950.)  This was occasionally returned to Meccano for problems.

In 1953 I had seemingly accumulated enough money for a Lionel set. In high school I moved on to HO and OO.

Post-war Lionel was very sturdy -- you could hit your sister with a locomotive and not break it.

• Like 5
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium

My first set was mid to late ,1960s, the equivalent of the Hornby smokey Joe set, I have a few pieces of that left.

My last layout left at my parents didn't survive my nephew's and nieces. I have a few pieces of it left, a Triang Hornby hall with a broken front buffer beam, one or two wagons, and a carriage, much of the other stuff went missing, a couple of carriages many wagons and the buildings

• Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, BR60103 said:

Post-war Lionel was very sturdy -- you could hit your sister with a locomotive and not break it.

That brings to mind a line from a Tom Lehrer song 'A pestering sister's a festering blister'.

Jamie

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold

12 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

I am instructed that I must build a layout for young Emily. 

Jamie

You have the space for 7.25" gauge and I think Emily would appreciate it as a special treat when she visits.

Beth would find it useful, if the track plan is carefully considered, for a lot of gardening activities.

Such fun:

image.png.8aad7a01744fb754ebc1bb674703806e.png

Phoenix loco works 'Beefy' might be just up your street. (Many other ride on or ride in locos are available)

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

You have the space for 7.25" gauge and I think Emily would appreciate it as a special treat when she visits.

Beth would find it useful, if the track plan is carefully considered, for a lot of gardening activities.

Such fun:

image.png.8aad7a01744fb754ebc1bb674703806e.png

Phoenix loco works 'Beefy' might be just up your street. (Many other ride on or ride in locos are available)

I have seriously considered a gravity line from the woodshed to the back door for fuel deliveries. It would save me a 100 yard walk with a basket of logs twice a day in winter.

Jamie

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

I have seriously considered a gravity line from the woodshed to the back door for fuel deliveries. It would save me a 100 yard walk with a basket of logs twice a day in winter.

Jamie

Good plan.  how are you going to get the wagons back for the second load?

How you going to stop the load when it reaches the end of the gravity section?

'Quick Beth Open the  french windows'.  Here comes the next lot of timber!

• Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Whoops! said Jamie.

image.png.dcf5813b1e9d738c1b44b1aee31cf9b5.png

I could obviously make it a proper self acting incline and haul and empty truck up with the downward moving full one, though from the sound of the wind at the moment, fitting a sail might be a good option.  By the way, which window should I aim for, they are all French of course.

Jamie

• Funny 9

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

What you need is a band of elves. They could be kept in one of the sheds. If you rigged a bell and cableway up then all you'd have to do is ring the bell and they could send a wagonload down. What do elves eat?

If you watch the (very funny) 'Disenchantment' you'll know that elves eat sugar based stuff.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5363918/

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

I'm cold.

The reason for this is spending the last 3/4 of an hour on the drive removing the rear left door panel on the BMW.

Research into the on going problem of a wet rear left floor carpet, indicated that the problem was the inner door moisture barrier coming unstuck along it's bottom edge.

A German You tube video gave  a visual explanation of the problem and the cure.

Of course it was never going to be as easy to do as the demo made out, but it wasn't too bad, so I only visited Little Cursing in the Wet on two occasions.

However, as I was unable to readily put my hands to the tube of silicon adhesive, I also visited Much Cursing in the Garage. 

It's all back together now.

A nice cup of tea beckons.

I'll Vax the carpets later on in the week to make sure everything is clean and dry.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

You tube video 

There are lots of really useful YouTube videos for automotive problems. Unlike some hobbies where you want to know how to remove the body of a loco to fit a decoder and it turns out to be someone with a very annoying voice getting excited about removing the tissue covering the box. 
Tony

• Agree 1
  • Funny 11

I've just got back in having  had to quickly rush out on perimeter patrol as it sounded like a herd of hungry  hippos were invading searching for cake. :hunter:

Fortunately it soon became apparent that the unholy racket was caused by Mrs SM42 cleaning the bathroom. :o

Pictures to hang next.

You never know, I might get some modelling done today.

Andy

• Funny 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Too true, Tony, those unboxing videos are the pits.  I actually managed to fix our cordless Dyson using a You Tube guide, made me realise a lot of folk bin these when they just need a deep clean.  Complex to dismantle though.

The official instructions for removing the motor from our food processor only result in plastic shrapnel flying about. The YouTube video method works nicely. They show which parts need to be obtained as one part always breaks.

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold
57 minutes ago, SM42 said:

I've just got back in having  had to quickly rush out on perimeter patrol as it sounded like a herd of hungry  hippos were invading searching for cake. :hunter:

Fortunately it soon became apparent that the unholy racket was caused by Mrs SM42 cleaning the bathroom. :o

Pictures to hang next.

You never know, I might get some modelling done today.

Andy

That we make noise when we are on a cake hunt is false news perpetuated by the tabloid media.

Stealth and surprise is far more effective.

But the question on everyone else's lips is why is your bathroom outside on the perimeter?

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 10

36 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

That we make noise when we are on a cake hunt is false news perpetuated by the tabloid media.

Stealth and surprise is far more effective.

But the question on everyone else's lips is why is your bathroom outside on the perimeter?

It's not.

It just sounded like a herd sweeping majestically in from the North West.

Had to check the defences. Can never be too careful when it comes to defending cake.

We are on extra high alert due to the  arrival of chocolate brownies our cake making  friend baked. The doughnuts she made were dispatched yesterday.

Drooling Andy

PS I am investigating a strange phenomenon at SM42 Towers. Trousers appear suffer shrinkage when stored in wardrobes. This has only occurred over the last month.

Anyone else noticing a similar effect?

• Agree 2
  • Funny 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, SM42 said:

PS I am investigating a strange phenomenon at SM42 Towers. Trousers appear suffer shrinkage when stored in wardrobes. This has only occurred over the last month.

Yes it is a by product of dropping cake crumbs onto the trousers.

Fortunately it only affects the circumference and not the length of the leg.

If they are kept away from cake dust, then they will eventually return to their original size.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 12

2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Yes it is a by product of dropping cake crumbs onto the trousers.

Fortunately it only affects the circumference and not the length of the leg.

If they are kept away from cake dust, then they will eventually return to their original size.

Ahhh!

So it's the fumes from cake crumbs evaporating that causes it.

Good job trousers have plastic memory

Mystery solved.

Andy

Edited by SM42
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, SM42 said:

It's not.

It just sounded like a herd sweeping majestically in from the North West.

Had to check the defences. Can never be too careful when it comes to defending cake.

We are on extra high alert due to the  arrival of chocolate brownies our cake making  friend baked. The doughnuts she made were dispatched yesterday.

Drooling Andy

You see a perfectly innocent explanation. There was I imagining that you were enconsenced in a portaloo sited on the edge of your property line, the wind whistling round your trossecks like some lone sentry posted to some lonely spot in order to give advanced warning of marauding pachyderms sweeping across the Shropshire plain in search of poor innocent perveyors of cake. I can rest easy now safe in the knowledge that no pachyderms came to harm as you robustly manned you post, the flag still aloft.

• Like 1
  • Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Winslow Boy said:

You see a perfectly innocent explanation. There was I imagining that you were enconsenced in a portaloo sited on the edge of your property line, the wind whistling round your trossecks like some lone sentry posted to some lonely spot in order to give advanced warning of marauding pachyderms sweeping across the Shropshire plain in search of poor innocent perveyors of cake. I can rest easy now safe in the knowledge that no pachyderms came to harm as you robustly manned you post, the flag still aloft.

My flag is a little tattered nowadays and the pole's (flag pole, not Mrs SM42) got woodworm.

In other news

Modelling has been done.

Wagon buffer heads attached and van body painted in some nice Humbrol glossmatt, covers like skimmed milk  grey paint that is still tacky over an hour later.

Shame I couldn't find my old trusty tin of no 64 and had to use a new one. Still that's Humbrol paint for you.

I still can't work out why the  matt black dried exactly as that

Andy

Edited by SM42
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

I woke up this morning  (This is not the start of a blues song!) to find that someone had run amok outside with  icing sugar.

It's still tumbling down from the skies, so the planned walk up to Preston village to see how the new housing development is progressing, will be put on hold.

I have no wish to present a moving target for speeding motorists on an ungritted road.

I suspect that any activities will be confined to the house as I have no wish to go out and get cold in the garage, even though it does require some work to maximise the storage cube.  Yet another tidy up and also to be more ruthless with my huge stocks of materiel that 'might come in useful one day'.

however, I might sneak out to the workshop for my drill and drill bits to open out the buffer shanks on a PO wagon I am building.

normally I wouldn't bother with one of this type as it's got pre printed sides, and mine are all invariably non painted shabby varieties, but it was a freebie, and I never turn down such gifts....

I'm still waiting for a couple Lee Marsh locos to be gifted my way. 

Well, I live in the vague hope that this is a faint possibility.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 7
  • Funny 4