Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

I do enjoy a free model.

Somewhere in my stash of kits is a van kit or two  which have wooden sides with white metal underframes and details to overlay. 

It was one of those I saw this and thought of you gifts from a club member ( sadly no longer with us) 

He was one of those who would see the merit in the most basic of models and could see through the whole range of modelling talent and  enjoy the fact that someone had actually had a go.  He was never one to criticise for  lack of ability. He revelled on the details or the sheer simplicity of any model

The reason for the gift was that he had seen them looking unloved in the second hand  section  or at a toy fair, I know not which, and thought it a shame they may never get built.

I forget the prototype ( something GWR IIRC) but I really must get round to building them as a tribute to one of the most enthusiastic railway modellers I have had the privilege to know 

Andy

Edited by SM42
  • Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, SM42 said:

He was one of those who would see the merit in the most basic of models and could see through the whole range of modelling talent and  enjoy the fact that someone had actually had a go.  He was never one to criticise for  lack of ability. He revelled on the details or the sheer simplicity of any model

He must have been a great bloke.

I've always worked on two principles:

If you've got nothing nice to say, don't say it.

If you can find the slightest thing to compliment in a model (other pieces of work are avaiable) , then say so.

Compliments are free:  They mean a lot to a person's self esteem.  This is particularly important for children and young adults.

• Like 2
  • Agree 10

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, coastalview said:

Sceptic tank lol. :laugh_mini:

The *benefits of living in a rural location*

During my brief period with the Royal Armoured Corps (1QDG/VDG) I never got the chance to drive one of those.

I have heard that compared to the Scorpion and Scimitar they were pretty sh*te.

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Compliments are free:  They mean a lot to a person's self esteem.  This is particularly important for children and young adults.

I am pleased to note that although I have been the beneficiary of an awful lot of 'likes' etc on RMweb, it appears I have awarded nearly twice as many. The right way round. 

• Like 16
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Oldddudders said:

I am pleased to note that although I have been the beneficiary of an awful lot of 'likes' etc on RMweb, it appears I have awarded nearly twice as many. The right way round. 

That's because you fall into the nice bloke category.

• Like 6
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

He must have been a great bloke

Oh he was.

He wasn't afraid to have a go at someone or something that deserved it though.

I have several other projects he threw my way for rescuing.

The 12 Saxa Salt bodies are the one in the " I'm not sure what to do with these" pile.

Do I shove a kit built underframe under them and ignore the

inaccuracies, or shorten the bodies first?

The latter means new decals. The former grates a bit. However one is just yellow and may be the Guinea pig for body surgery.

Andy

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, coastalview said:

I worked in IT for a large part of my career and we have a reputation for incomprehensible jargon ....

What does the above mean:D

Ist Queens Dragoon Guards

5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards.

I was badged for the QDG but was serving with 'The Skins'.

As an aside, the Regimental Band had a spin off beat combo for popular music.  They were called The Five Skins.

One should be grateful that the Regiment was not the  4th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, coastalview said:

I worked in IT for a large part of my career and we have a reputation for incomprehensible jargon ....

What does the above mean:D

Don't ask what the letters NCI meant 8n my pocket book after a time and address.

Jamie

• Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

During my brief period with the Royal Armoured Corps (1QDG/VDG) I never got the chance to drive one of those.

I have heard that compared to the Scorpion and Scimitar they were pretty sh*te.

Here's one.

image.png.51a1f2e00a1e7325240bab253c99549a.png

• Funny 5

I've been modelling  but I think my technique needs work. Scales a bit off for 00

20210124_134604.jpg.adf5dbfb10b3bd90ee543e9b7b9f2dfc.jpg

At one point it looked like a 1/4500 model of the Matterhorn

Mrs SM42's contribution was passing a carrot out of the window 

Andy

Edited by SM42
  • Like 9
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium

Just a thought:-

Meat eaters are carnivores, vegetation eaters are herbivores, insect eaters are insectivores and those who eat some if not all are omnivores. But what do we call cake eaters? (other than sir?)

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
Just now, PhilJ W said:

Meat eaters are carnivores, vegetation eaters are herbivores, insect eaters are insectivores and those who eat some if not all are omnivores. But what do we call cake eaters? (other than sir?)

Fatso!

• Agree 1
  • Funny 7

5 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Libuvores

Andy

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3