Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium

What a fun day. We went to a pharmacy in Wellington at the appointed time for our covid jabs only to be told by a young lady at the door that it was all a mistake and we had to go to the Telford football stadium instead so off we went. On arrival at the site we had to join a very lengthy queue in which we spent the next two hours out in the cold shuffling slowly forwards until eventually we got indoors and after being asked a barrage of questions were passed on to the vaccinators who asked the same questions before administering the jabs.  The words brewery and p!ssup come to mind. On reading the cards that we were given the date and place date for our second jabs are different from those we were given by text from the central booking agency. You couldn't make it up.

Dave

• Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium

658204756_EarleyRCWCohallofshame22Oct2019.JPG.feab9decd878a7b1fd6ccfa9dd72711b.JPG

I took this photo as my gallery of shame on 22 October 2019. On the back tow, there has been considerable progress on the tariff van; next row, I've finished the H&B van. (Or does it still need its roof sticking on?) The rest of that row just needs transfers finishing. Everything in the next row has been completed! The Midland D299 got finished, along with all the D305s in the next-to-front row. The CLC dropside and LNWR ballast wagon still await buffer heads. There's been a little bit of progress on the LNWR timber trucks; in particular, the bolsters got primed.

In the meanwhile, I've started at least another two dozen wagons, of which I think I can declare half-a-dozen officially complete, although most still need loads.

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

658204756_EarleyRCWCohallofshame22Oct2019.JPG.feab9decd878a7b1fd6ccfa9dd72711b.JPG

I took this photo as my gallery of shame on 22 October 2019. On the back tow, there has been considerable progress on the tariff van; next row, I've finished the H&B van. (Or does it still need its roof sticking on?) The rest of that row just needs transfers finishing. Everything in the next row has been completed! The Midland D299 got finished, along with all the D305s in the next-to-front row. The CLC dropside and LNWR ballast wagon still await buffer heads. There's been a little bit of progress on the LNWR timber trucks; in particular, the bolsters got primed.

In the meanwhile, I've started at least another two dozen wagons, of which I think I can declare half-a-dozen officially complete, although most still need loads.

I see that like me you believe that you can never have enough wagons.

Jamie

• Like 7
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
Just now, jamie92208 said:

I see that like me you believe that you can never have enough wagons.

But unlike you I'm sort on engines; or at least. appropriate engines. I can rustle up Midland Division goods engines in 1950s livery, thanks to Messrs. Bachmann.

• Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, simontaylor484 said:

Whats worse Hippo is spending time picking litter up then seeing some scrote throw some more down infront of you and being unable to do anything about it.

Is battering the f*** out of them with a baseball bat not allowed then? :biggrin_mini:

29 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

P2020917.JPG.7b7b39fc7f46da5f791379a543f7d1f1.JPG

Those shelves are crying out and saying "Tidy me, tidy me....."

• Like 5
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, polybear said:

Is battering the f*** out of them with a baseball bat not allowed then? :biggrin_mini:

Those shelves are crying out and saying "Tidy me, tidy me....."

Tidy and me are not words that go together and the boss would agree.

Jamie

• Agree 2
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

But unlike you I'm sort on engines; or at least. appropriate engines. I can rustle up Midland Division goods engines in 1950s livery, thanks to Messrs. Bachmann.

I'm also short on engines until I get the lower shelf sorted. No 2P's only 1 compound, and until I get it finished no proper sized 4F.

Jamie

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

On the theme of unfinished models, I used to go out on breakdowns with a foreman whose favourite saying was “Cast it to the four winds, pal” and you’ll find this has been applied in my loft, so no neat line waiting completion, of shelves with boxes, oh no! You’ve got to start looking...

• Like 3
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I wouldn't know where to start...

Which is probably why I've got so many bits and pieces unfinished.

Half the problem is starting No 1 of 2 and then realising half way through that there is a better method or technique, so I start No 2 and then realise there is yet an even better system, so I buy no 3 and start that.

Meanwhile 1 and 2 remain partially completed!

• Friendly/supportive 8

Unfinished projects you say?

This is a third of the workbench ( a hint of it was seen a while back)

20210202_195002.jpg.dd5aec3c84025230f60bb1dc3844ba7b.jpg

Known as the Left Hand Side or the Vic Berry end. (Yes there is another 2 rows of wagons under there) :wacko:

The phone is kept handy in case of avalanche. 

Mrs SM42 despairs. (She does it often)

Andy

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 7

47 minutes ago, SM42 said:

Known as the Left Hand Side or the Vic Berry end. (Yes there is another 2 rows of wagons under there) :wacko:

Andy

I'm glad it's not just me lol

Chris

• Like 3
  • Agree 5
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

I do have a couple of locos in bits at the moment but they are waiting for parts to arrive. I did dismantle a Scalextric BMW MINI last night and finished repairing it this afternoon. It was very cheap so I am even more pleased by the repair. 
My desk was tidy until a few days ago but after fixing the bookcases I just dumped all the tools there, just in case another bookshelf was found to be in need of fixing. 

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, SM42 said:

Andy

Mix a load of motorbike bits in to that aswell, and it is just like my bench.  I'm embarrassed to show it.....

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

Mix a load of motorbike bits in to that aswell, and it is just like my bench.  I'm embarrassed to show it.....

I like to think that the world's greatest artists didn't have a tidy workbench and neither do I. 

I didn't show the right hand side, the middle or the contents of some of the boxes at the back  which just happen to be buried under some half finished projects too.

Andy

• Like 7
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

then you have to wait between 30 to 60 minutes before any food consumption. 

Wait 30 minutes?

Heaven forbid - you'll have wasted away in that time...............

• Agree 4
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

The New Yorker magazne wrote about moving their office several miles south in New York.  Their description of a trove of incomplete/unpublished articles was "Accretion of Intention".

The sign now decorates several boxes in my backroom.

The woodchuck has seen his shadow. Only 6 more weeks of winter.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

There is a large senior school near me and during lockdown there is far less litter about, same in school holidays.

And in our area a lack of tourists..

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, newbryford said:

Wait 30 minutes?

Heaven forbid - you'll have wasted away in that time...............

If you think that's bad, I've just spent the last 30 minutes on the phone trying to book a blood test.

I start off as xxx in the queue, wait patiently, get to No 1 in the queue and then the blasted thing cuts off.

Three times this morning that's happened.

I'll try again later:  Much later.

(By which time I'll probably have changed colour... from Grey to Yellow)

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

If you think that's bad, I've just spent the last 30 minutes on the phone trying to book a blood test.

I start off as xxx in the queue, wait patiently, get to No 1 in the queue and then the blasted thing cuts off.

Three times this morning that's happened.

I'll try again later:  Much later.

(By which time I'll probably have changed colour... from Grey to Yellow)

Ah the benefits of rural France, one quick phone call and sister drac comes to the house the next day and has coffee and cake whilst taking the red stuff, very civilised.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, jamie92208 said:

Ah the benefitsvof rural France, one quick phone call and sister drac comes to the house the next day and has coffee and cake whilst taking the red stuff, very civilised.

Jamie

I'm still in the queue, so I suspect they are taking the yellow stuff.

I'm #2 in the queue, the suspense is....

Got it

This calls for a celebration!

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Happy Hippo said:

I'm still in the queue, so I suspect they are taking the yellow stuff.

I'm #2 in the queue, the suspense is....

Got it

This calls for a celebration!

Blood tests can be booked online here. No more telephone calls, though you can still do so if you wish.  

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

Well H I think your a masochist and secretly enjoy being in a queue only to be cut off when you reach the head of it.

You do realise that is sop for receptionists. They teach it as part of the induction course.

At our surgery they have come up with the ultimate time waster. They ring you up and if you are unlucky/lucky enough leave a message saying can you ring them. So you ring them back only to be faced with a barrage of multiple choices none of which are the correct one. When you do pick one they normally keep you hanging on for minimum ten minutes, if you are lucky and so just when you lose the will to live they answer and you're are so grateful you agree to anything. Also they say they have been trying to contact you but don't leave messages. Why?

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Also they say they have been trying to contact you but don't leave messages. Why?

Attention span of a goldfish. 

If you don't pick up, they can't remember why they called, so can't leave a message because they've forgotten who you are and why they were ringing in the first place!

• Agree 2
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1