Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

Just now, simontaylor484 said:

When i was younger my Dad was an auctioneer and estate agent, when i was little a lot of the auctions were estate sales where the contents of the house would be auctioned off followed by the house itself. These rarely happen these days a lot is left to either house clearances or squabbles. 

Forgot to add now all he deals with is the funeral of the deceased

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Think I've got things sorted for when I curl up my tootsies. 

Powers of Attorney (Health & Finance) and Will has been updated after my Mother passed away - had to do that as Mum had the right to stay in the house if I pre-deceased her.

Details of Powers of Attorney and Will were discussed with my brother and his eldest daughter (in case my brother pre-deceased me) prior to the documents being prepared and signed.

As I'm single (and don't have any hidden wives, girlfriends or children to worry about) everything gets left to my brother (or eldest daughter) who can then decide where the proceeds go based upon the needs of the family at that time - most probably going to my brother's grandsons to which I have no objection.

My finances etc. are quite straight forward - just the house (less the equity release which might help reduce the inheritance duties), some original Japanese prints, my bank accounts and savings (all details documented and kept with copies of the will etc. in a known place), the car ....... and all my trains and pile of railway books.

One thing my Brother insisted was that I did not not ask him to be the Executor as he did not want the hassle of sorting out all the trains and the books. This will be done by the Solicitors, I'll be gone then.

As far as I'm concerned I could not care a toss what happens to the trains and books. Most important thing is I've had my enjoyment buying the things in the first place, running the trains and enjoying them with my friends as well as reading the books.

Keith

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 3

2 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

I can't recall if I've mentioned this before if I have apologies, but when drawing up any assets do remember to include any grave deeds.

the costs involved for the purchase of a plot or a 'ledge' you rapidly start going into the thousands.

It is therefore a quite a valuable asset.

it always used to amaze me how much upset it caused when Uncle Sid couldn't be buried with his wife because the deeds couldn't be found..

Which raises the question - is there any way to establish ownership of a plot when the deeds are not available? I presume there is a list somewhere of the owners of all plots in a cemetery, but is that correct? 

I ask because we thought my dad had bought a plot in the local cemetery - he told us he had - but we couldn’t find the deeds when they were needed. That cemetery then had no ‘free’ plots and we had to buy a new one in another cemetery. Our family has no need now of that plot since none of us lives in that town, or even in that country. If we could establish ownership of a plot, we could free it up for someone else to use.

• Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

We bought one years ago but not in France. If it holds 4 I bettercstart finding the 2nd and 3rd wives to get value for money.

Jamie

I'd offer one of the spares up to Charlize Theiron.  It's the closest I'd ever get to her!

• Funny 7

38 minutes ago, pH said:

Which raises the question - is there any way to establish ownership of a plot when the deeds are not available? I presume there is a list somewhere of the owners of all plots in a cemetery, but is that correct? 

I ask because we thought my dad had bought a plot in the local cemetery - he told us he had - but we couldn’t find the deeds when they were needed. That cemetery then had no ‘free’ plots and we had to buy a new one in another cemetery. Our family has no need now of that plot since none of us lives in that town, or even in that country. If we could establish ownership of a plot, we could free it up for someone else to use.

You can ask the burial authority to do a search of its records. There is usually a charge for this though. To help you need to try and narrow down when the plot was purchased. Plots are usually, but not always, bought at the time of a death. You can get a disinterment but for that you need the approval of the Home Office and the clerical authorities if it's in consecregated grave. It is a time consuming and costly process.

One thing to note is that because of the demand for plots cemeteries are running out of space. This includes ashes as well. As a result they are limiting the amount of time that you 'own' the plot. It used to be inperptuity ie forever but now it is being reduced to a hundred years or much less (10- 20 years) for ashes. This means that unless you renew the deed the plot/ledge reverts back to authority and they can sell the plot to someone else.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

57 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I'd offer one of the spares up to Charlize Theiron.  It's the closest I'd ever get to her!

Not certain Nadya would approve but in theory so long as you own the grave you can give permission for her to be buried in it. However as presumably you will be dead it will be down to who ever owns the plot, hence my first comment. I'll leave you to convince Charlize.:D

• Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

We bought one years ago but not in France. If it holds 4 I bettercstart finding the 2nd and 3rd wives to get value for money.

Jamie

Best hope Beth wasn't reading that... You may be next in.

• Agree 6

• RMweb Premium

We stayed a night in Bellingham once before getting the ferry to Victoria.

Jamie

Snap in 2015 although it seems like a lifetime ago now.

North Hipposhire is very wet and grey this morning, which with luck should provide an excuse for some workshop time. I'm in the process of making a water tower for my layout using tank panels 3D printed for me by Tricky, AKA Monksgate Models, the base of which is almost complete and ready for work to commence on the tank. What I am not looking forward to is painting the tank as the panels are two-tone and there are 44 of them. I'm not doing them in the multicoloured livery that Jamie discovered the tank at Settle was painted in but just the cream and brown that from photographic evidence a lot of Midland water tanks featured. Even so, painting around the inner moulding panel 44 times is a somewhat daunting prospect, particularly as Tricky has made them absolutely to scale so the raised mouldings are very shallow. As the saying goes, I may be some time.

Dave

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

North Hipposhire is very wet and grey this morning, which with luck should provide an excuse for some workshop time. I'm in the process of making a water tower for my layout using tank panels 3D printed for me by Tricky, AKA Monksgate Models, the base of which is almost complete and ready for work to commence on the tank. What I am not looking forward to is painting the tank as the panels are two-tone and there are 44 of them. I'm not doing them in the multicoloured livery that Jamie discovered the tank at Settle was painted in but just the cream and brown that from photographic evidence a lot of Midland water tanks featured. Even so, painting around the inner moulding panel 44 times is a somewhat daunting prospect, particularly as Tricky has made them absolutely to scale so the raised mouldings are very shallow. As the saying goes, I may be some time.

Dave

If you'd got the tank printed as a plate with the mouldings separate, you could have painted them individually, and then stuck them together.

I know, that's a great help now.

I'll go back for another wallow in the hollow.

• Like 8
  • Funny 1

29 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Dave

That could be tricky.  Bill

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

I hope you are all sitting down as what follows will come as an almighty shock to you all.

I rang the medical practice (as requested) this morning to find out about my blood tests which I had nearly a fortnight ago.

The receptionist was  BRILLIANT!

Spoke to me as if I were human, went as far as saying she'd had a quick look through my current pending file and could see that both the xray and blood tests were clear which was a good thing and that once the current course of treatment was over they'd be calling me in for a follow up appointment.

She then followed this up by hoping that the result had put my mind at rest as she knew how stressful waiting for test results can be.

She signed off with 'Now you take care my love'.

Knowing how surgery reception staff are frequently lambasted by patients, I thought I'd let you know that sometimes there are some really good ones.

(I've suddenly thought, perhaps she is a lurker on TNM and is looking for a spare slot in a burial plot!)

• Like 13
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Be careful there Big H there's only so much space and you've already got Charlize and presumably Nadya down- although that might change if she hears about you wanting another female.

You do realise of course that this paragon of virtue might only be temporary and that now that you have been lulled into a false sense of security Checkpoint Charlene will reappear and promptly reinstigate the reign of terror.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

Rooting around in the workshop I came across a dismantled Ixion Fowler 0-4-0 DM which I had completely forgotten about.

I'd stripped it down to fit a DCC sound decoder and a small stay alive capacitor.

I was going to paint to paint the side rods and flycranks a dull red colour whilst it was stripped down, but with no paint, left it for a while.

I suspect the while was about 3 years, so it will be an interesting exercise in finally finishing it off.

The advantage it that it is very small and it could probably run on a tea tray sized micro layout if I was so inclined (which I'm not).

I just need to get some dull red paint for the cranks and rods, which is where I started:mocking_mini:.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Rooting around in the workshop I came across a dismantled Ixion Fowler 0-4-0 DM which I had completely forgotten about.

I'd stripped it down to fit a DCC sound decoder and a small stay alive capacitor.

I was going to paint to paint the side rods and flycranks a dull red colour whilst it was stripped down, but with no paint, left it for a while.

I suspect the while was about 3 years, so it will be an interesting exercise in finally finishing it off.

The advantage it that it is very small and it could probably run on a tea tray sized micro layout if I was so inclined (which I'm not).

I just need to get some dull red paint for the cranks and rods, which is where I started:mocking_mini:.

I can lend you some but can't quite throw the tinlet 700 miles. Just trying to be helpful.

Jamie

• Like 2
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

If you'd got the tank printed as a plate with the mouldings separate, you could have painted them individually, and then stuck them together.

The mouldings are only about 6 thou thick and 20 thou wide so trying to print them separately and then attach them would probably be impossible.Much pondering going on in North Hipposhire.

Dave 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Pondering, I thought that was whatvHippos didcwhen the muddy hollow dried up.

Jamie

Judging by past dry outs and the current ambient weather patterns, we are expecting to look for a new hollow in around August 2026.

At present it's like a boggy bogtrotter's bog.

The current ponder is whether to buy a camper van and visit France for RWC 2023, although I'd prefer to get a couple of Class 37/0 (Centre headcode) diesels in green and blue liveries in order to increase the historical range of SWS and it's successor(s). (You can buy quite a lot of 7 mm equipment for the price of a camper van:mocking_mini:.)

This weekend's 6N match in Cardiff raises the question of which England forward is going to get sent off for a high tackle. (Both other Welsh matches have  featured opposition forwards sent off).  My money is on either Genge or Itoje.

Whether Wales would win even against a depleted England is another matter.

10 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

The mouldings are only about 6 thou thick and 20 thou wide so trying to print them separately and then attach them would probably be impossible.Much pondering going on in North Hipposhire.

Dave 

Now you know why you should be modelling the Midland Railway in Gauge 3.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

The current ponder is whether to buy a camper van and visit France for RWC 2023, ....although(You can buy quite a lot of 7 mm equipment for the price of a camper van:mocking_mini:.)

Aditi frequently had a ponder about campervans but I think the idea was shelved. We would need it to be stored somewhere when not in use. Anything with the facilities she would want wouldn't be small enough for me to enjoy driving. I said the cost would be more than a lot of cottage rentals. This was before Covid    

• Agree 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1