Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, Adam88 said:

That story has been going around for many years about a guy in the USA who did the same thing, and I thought it was an urban myth!

I suppose it's more believable than Dave Hunt goes GWR.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 3

2 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Aditi frequently had a ponder about campervans but I think the idea was shelved. We would need it to be stored somewhere when not in use. Anything with the facilities she would want wouldn't be small enough for me to enjoy driving. I said the cost would be more than a lot of cottage rentals. This was before Covid    

The use of shore based facilities in anything other than an emergency is a must.

1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

It is a way of losing a lot of train money....but we do love ours.

P1100776.JPG.dd6ea8022974e3a2e4a89203cabbe839.JPG

I see Donk is on the forum there!

That's not the right way to wear a mask.

Andy

• Like 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold

Shock Horror!

I have now been 'invited' for my innoculation (1of2) .  It will be delivered on Thursday morning and I will have to travel to Newport (Salop) for this delight.

Nyda is slightly miffed that her notification has not come through yet.  It would have been better if we could have gone and been done at the same time, thus saving  time and fuel.

I've just looked on eBay at the price of secondhand 00 gauge Locos and stock, so I think it's time I had another cull.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 6

10 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

The current ponder is whether to buy a camper van and visit France for RWC 2023

I had a camper van quite a while ago when the kids were 8 and 12, we went all over the place including, Outer Hebridies,Spain and France for about 4 or 5 years. It was brilliant fun and we've been thinking about getting one again. At the moment we have a trailer tent that we use mostly for music festivals or at least we did.....:D

• Like 9

46 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I have now been 'invited' for my innoculation (1of2) .  It will be delivered on Thursday morning and I will have to travel to Newport (Salop) for this delight.

I had my first one (AstraZeneca) a week ago at the Bowling Centre in Shrewsbury very well organised and no waiting at all. No adverse effects other than feeling a little tired the following day.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, coastalview said:

I had a camper van quite a while ago when the kids were 8 and 12, we went all over the place including, Outer Hebridies,Spain and France for about 4 or 5 years. It was brilliant fun and we've been thinking about getting one again. At the moment we have a trailer tent that we use mostly for music festivals or at least we did.....:D

The last trailer tent I had was the 1 tonne version of the ubiquitous 3/4ton trailer beloved of all three services of the armed forces.  The 1 tonne was longer and had a canvas tilt and frame which brought it to just under the height of a Landrover 110.

It was used for lifting the Rapier spares we carried into locations a 4 tonner would not get:  Usually there was a clutch of 4 tonners with each AD Bty and the Landrover, and sometimes the trailer took stores forward and then backloaded the busticated bits and pieces.

Why the OC and the 2/ic (a WO2) also needed such trailers was questionable as we tended to be stuck back with the main workshop.  However, we decided not to question the wisdom of the equipment schedule and embarked on creating a pair of stores trailers that just happened to  to get a series of lockable lockers on the floor.  These lockers could not have much in the way of weight put on top of them as they were only GRP, so a metal frame was required.  We found that a 2'6" wide bed frame was ideal for the task, although we topped it off with a sheet of ply and a roll of thick closed cell sponge rather than a foam mattress!  A pair of lockers that were loose could also be slid under the frame to maximise the storage capability, and these were held secure by elasticated bungees:  After all, you didn't want the regimental china damaged when we were on the move.

With power somehow acquired from a nearby generator we could even run irons and electric kettles if needed.  The irons were a good way of getting your kit partially dry.   We also carried spare vehicle batteries in the back of the Landrover which could be connected to the vehicle alternator much in the way that one has leisure batteries on a camper van. 

As well as being a little haven of calm, the trailer also doubled up as a mini NAAFI and it was also loaded with sweets, chocolate biscuits cake, more cake and even more cake as well as cup-a-soup and pot noodle packets, dried milk, condensed milk, coffee tea and sugar and cocoa, all of which could be dished out to the lads when we went on site visits.

It was far more civilised than sleeping in the bottom of a trench.  But even so nearly 20 years of 'camping' made me decide never to live under canvas ever again unless it was totally unavoidable Which happened once when I had to go and assist on a D of E practice expidition.

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

The last trailer tent I had was the 1 tonne version of the ubiquitous 3/4ton trailer beloved of all three services of the armed forces.  The 1 tonne was longer and had a canvas tilt and frame which brought it to just under the height of a Landrover 110.

It was used for lifting the Rapier spares we carried into locations a 4 tonner would not get:  Usually there was a clutch of 4 tonners with each AD Bty and the Landrover, and sometimes the trailer took stores forward and then backloaded the busticated bits and pieces.

Why the OC and the 2/ic (a WO2) also needed such trailers was questionable as we tended to be stuck back with the main workshop.  However, we decided not to question the wisdom of the equipment schedule and embarked on creating a pair of stores trailers that just happened to  to get a series of lockable lockers on the floor.  These lockers could not have much in the way of weight put on top of them as they were only GRP, so a metal frame was required.  We found that a 2'6" wide bed frame was ideal for the task, although we topped it off with a sheet of ply and a roll of thick closed cell sponge rather than a foam mattress!  A pair of lockers that were loose could also be slid under the frame to maximise the storage capability, and these were held secure by elasticated bungees:  After all, you didn't want the regimental china damaged when we were on the move.

With power somehow acquired from a nearby generator we could even run irons and electric kettles if needed.  The irons were a good way of getting your kit partially dry.   We also carried spare vehicle batteries in the back of the Landrover which could be connected to the vehicle alternator much in the way that one has leisure batteries on a camper van. 

As well as being a little haven of calm, the trailer also doubled up as a mini NAAFI and it was also loaded with sweets, chocolate biscuits cake, more cake and even more cake as well as cup-a-soup and pot noodle packets, dried milk, condensed milk, coffee tea and sugar and cocoa, all of which could be dished out to the lads when we went on site visits.

It was far more civilised than sleeping in the bottom of a trench.  But even so nearly 20 years of 'camping' made me decide never to live under canvas ever again unless it was totally unavoidable Which happened once when I had to go and assist on a D of E practice expidition.

We tow our trailer tent with a 110 lol.

20190824_125654.jpg.3fb88b80b4233fac13d386d9c9d7d086.jpg

That was at Twinwood  near Bedford August Bank Holiday 2019. It is where Glenn Miller took off from on his last journey I believe and has a 1940's,50's and 60's festival every year. Apart from last year of course and who knows about this. 

Sounds like you had things well sorted though.

Edited by coastalview
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I suppose it's more believable than Dave Hunt goes GWR.

Just to prove that anything really is possible, in the 1980s I operated a small business manufacturing O Gauge locomotive kits. It was called Pilgrim Models and the two kits I produced were.......

A GWR 63xx and a 28xx.

Shock horror I know and I try not to let my colleagues in the Midland Railway Society aware of the fact but there it is. A bit like me cheering Wales on I suppose (unless they're playing England of course).

And on that note, good night everyone.

Dave

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Just to prove that anything really is possible, in the 1980s I operated a small business manufacturing O Gauge locomotive kits. It was called Pilgrim Models and the two kits I produced were.......

A GWR 63xx and a 28xx.

Shock horror I know and I try not to let my colleagues in the Midland Railway Society aware of the fact but there it is. A bit like me cheering Wales on I suppose (unless they're playing England of course).

And on that note, good night everyone.

Dave

I know that I needed to pray for your soul for some reason Dave. I'm justvglad that you got innoculated and saw the light. There is however a rumour that I can neither confirm or deny, that a certain Midland modeller made a Wills King as his first kit built 00 loco.

Jamie

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Thank the good Lord for the MRMS* so that such poor souls can be saved. I believe that there are active members in both Yorkshire and France?

* Midland Railway Missionary Society

Dave

Edited by Dave Hunt
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
On 20/02/2021 at 10:39, Tony_S said:

I can’t remember if it is the mites or their tiny poos that cause respiratory problems. 

Bear will treasure this information when he heads off to snooze land in a few minutes' time.....

On 21/02/2021 at 16:37, SM42 said:

A power of attorney arrangement can also help in case of debilitating illness.  It takes a lot of pressure off those you leave behind..

Bear would suggest that a LPOA is an excellent idea for all - it can get very expensive and time-consuming otherwise:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/family/power-of-attorney/

On 21/02/2021 at 20:08, jamie92208 said:

We bought one years ago but not in France. If it holds 4 I bettercstart finding the 2nd and 3rd wives to get value for money.

Do you really wish to be buried with your exes for evermore??

On 21/02/2021 at 22:09, tetsudofan said:

One thing my Brother insisted was that I did not not ask him to be the Executor as he did not want the hassle of sorting out all the trains and the books. This will be done by the Solicitors, I'll be gone then.

Bear would suggest that having your Brother as Executor is far more sensible, as this gives him complete control over which Solicitor administers your estate, and how much of the work they actually do (your brother could do some of the legwork and the Solicitor do the paperwork, for example).  If a Solicitor is named then all control is lost and they are free to do pretty much as they like, take as long as they like and sting you accordingly (*within the bounds of Solicitors rules, of course).

Bear has been executor on 3 wills - it's straightforward stuff (there's loads of "How To" books on the subject); fill in some forms and sort the estate.  It takes time but isn't particularly difficult at all (if there are businesses or farms etc involved then it gets trickier, apparently).  As for solicitors, I believe they either charge by the hour (Write a letter?  That's two hundred quid...plus VAT) or take a percentage of the estate value - maybe a couple of percent, for example?  £300K house?  That's £6K? to the solicitor, thanks very much....

And as for having a Bank named as Executor, they make Solicitors look like an absolute bargain, apparently.

• Like 3
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

Thank the good Lord for the MRMS* so that such poor souls can be saved. I believe that there are active members in both Yorkshire and France?

* Midland Railway Missionary Society

Dave

I hope I'm never in that position!

• Funny 5

14 hours ago, polybear said:

Bear will treasure this information when he heads off to snooze land in a few minutes' time.....

Bear would suggest that a LPOA is an excellent idea for all - it can get very expensive and time-consuming otherwise:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/family/power-of-attorney/

Do you really wish to be buried with your exes for evermore??

Bear would suggest that having your Brother as Executor is far more sensible, as this gives him complete control over which Solicitor administers your estate, and how much of the work they actually do (your brother could do some of the legwork and the Solicitor do the paperwork, for example).  If a Solicitor is named then all control is lost and they are free to do pretty much as they like, take as long as they like and sting you accordingly (*within the bounds of Solicitors rules, of course).

Bear has been executor on 3 wills - it's straightforward stuff (there's loads of "How To" books on the subject); fill in some forms and sort the estate.  It takes time but isn't particularly difficult at all (if there are businesses or farms etc involved then it gets trickier, apparently).  As for solicitors, I believe they either charge by the hour (Write a letter?  That's two hundred quid...plus VAT) or take a percentage of the estate value - maybe a couple of percent, for example?  £300K house?  That's £6K? to the solicitor, thanks very much....

And as for having a Bank named as Executor, they make Solicitors look like an absolute bargain, apparently.

.... but bear in mind that under certain special circumstances, the Executor might be liable for debts of the deceased’s estate. It isn’t usual or common but it does exist. There are also significant problems with debts which have surviving co-signatories or guarantors. 

• Informative/Useful 3