Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Gold

Up early this morning to get Nyda down into South Telfland for her first dose of the Covid Jab.  I had the Pfizer version she has had the AZ variant so it will be interesting to see if there are any different side effects between the two.

I now have to depart to the workshop in order to track down some missing parts for the Ixion Fowler; Not essential but their retreval would make reassembly a little easier.  I know where they are... In a box with the stay alive capacitors.

Trouble is where is the box with the stay alive spares?

I accuse the shed troll, who has amassed a huge stash of stuff over the years, which is well hidden out of sight and reach.

• Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

When you find the box, can you see whether my small plastic box of screw couplings is in there? They ran off a while ago so may have teamed up with your stay alives.

Dave

Are those the ones that were properly threaded 14 BA right hand thread at one end, and 14 BA left hand thread the other?

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

When you find the box, can you see whether my small plastic box of screw couplings is in there? They ran off a while ago so may have teamed up with your stay alives.

Dave

There should be a large pile of 12BA nuts and washers along with several dozen crank pin bushes so please look out for them as well.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold

I found the box with all the bits of the Fowler contained therein.

However the stay alive capacitor pack is missing.

I also seemed to have mislaid one of the jackshaft rods.  It was left on the modelling mat to dry last night with the rest of the rods after they'd been painted.

Since I have the chassis in bits, I'm minded to mill out the  lump of metal that supported the  base for the  small round speaker.  If it comes out, it will create enough space for a twin speaker which will give much better overall sound effects.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Plenty of bolts, but Jamie wanted nuts and washers.

I think the couplings were converted into turnbuckles for tie downs on a wagon load.

That's almost like the awful newspaper headline after a rape in a launderete.  Nut screws washers and bolts.

Hat and coat on and heading for the woodshed.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

I almost acquired modeller status this afternoon. I got the 0 4 0 Triang Hornby Continental Tank secured safely in an appropriate machine vice, cleared all the rubbish off the pillar drill and even found the chuck key. So then I looked for the pack of 1.8mm drills I had purchased a few days ago. Now as I understand it, a real modeller would have had to order new ones before finding the originals but my solution was easier. I hadn’t removed them from the A4 sized card envelope they had arrived in. So instead of thinking where had I put them I just had to sort through the recycling pile. 
Tony

• Funny 14

• RMweb Gold

Since Stuart dropped in three in a bag and I got a box full, I'm flush with 1.8mm drills.

They are stored in a yellow case so I can see them easily on the bench.

I've still got quite a few batteries that will have no home in the battery box as they are too small.

However, I can put my hand to them quickly as they are all in the bottom of the bench box (a lockable tool box that sits on top of the bench in the workshop) with all the watch repair stuff.

I walked up and down the lane this afternoon in my red rugby top, but all the houses had their curtains drawn.

• Like 3
  • Funny 6

Accepted normality has returned hereabouts, with the departure of ten year old grandtwins "Ronnie & Reggie" from the 'care bubble'.

Daniel was happy with his completed pair of Mk.1 Spitfires, and my heart, raised by his smile, immediately sank when he uttered "do you think WE could finish HMS Belfast now bampy ?"

Bribery, in the shape of half a dozen Bachmann HEA hoppers didn't take his mind off that bl**dy kit !

After yet another day of rambling through the local woods, explaining the pump storage water tower, known as 'the balloon', and the purpose of limekilns, the abandoned Plymouth Estate's reservoir and curling rink, pointing out a woodpecker at work, and a kingfisher, explaining how the local filter bed works...........I'm kn@ckered, but happily kn@ckered.

I'm now off to undertake some covert observations on the inside of my eyelids.

Edited by br2975
  • Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, br2975 said:

Accepted normality has returned hereabouts, with the departure of ten year old grandtwins "Ronnie & Reggie" from the 'care bubble'.

Daniel was happy with his completed pair of Mk.1 Spitfires, and my heart, raised by his smile, immediately sank when he uttered "do you think WE could finish HMS Belfast now bampy ?"

Bribery, in the shape of half a dozen Bachmann HEA hoppers didn't take his mind off that bl**dy kit !

After yet another day of rambling through the local woods, explaining the pump storage water tower, known as 'the balloon', and the purpose of limekilns, the abandoned Plymouth Estate's reservoir and curling rink, pointing out a woodpecker at work, and a kingfisher, explaining how the local filter bed works...........I'm kn@ckered, but happily kn@ckered.

I'm now off to undertake some covert observations on the inside of my eyelids.

I thought they'd knocked the 'balloon' down years ago... Or is this a new one?

There used to be a pumping station  just beyond the signal box at Drope Junction (Not too far away from Plymouth woods) that lifted water from the River Ely for use by the Barry Railway.  The site is now under the A4232, somewhere between Drope Road and the river.

As for Belfast, well let Daniel glue it together and you paint what's left.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

They are stored in a yellow case so I can see them easily on the bench.

I've still got quite a few batteries that will have no home in the battery box as they are too small.

However, I can put my hand to them quickly as they are all in the bottom of the bench box (a lockable tool box that sits on top of the bench in the workshop) with all the watch repair stuff.

Don't lose the bench.....:jester:

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 7

18 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I thought they'd knocked the 'balloon' down years ago... Or is this a new one?

There used to be a pumping station  just beyond the signal box at Drope Junction (Not too far away from Plymouth woods) that lifted water from the River Ely for use by the Barry Railway.  The site is now under the A4232, somewhere between Drope Road and the river.

As for Belfast, well let Daniel glue it together and you paint what's left.

The balloon is still standing, but is no longer used - allegedly

We went to the filter bed behind the former St.Fagans (village) C.in W school, on the banks of Ely River......I doubt my creaking limbs would have made The Drope, after yesterdays forced march.

Belfast will eventually be topped out......................I believe Dai 'Bungalow' Llewellyn, former outside half with Aberflyarff RFC who later worked at the EVCW (Efflew Valley Central Washery) served as an ABS on HMS Belfast ?

Called "Bungalow" because he had 'nothing upstairs' !

• Like 8

Evening all,

Been away, school etc,

The snow has all melted now, and temperatures have returned back to normal. I leave for Santa fe New Mexico in 2 weeks, for a socially distanced and isolated holiday on a bleak hillside somewhere, plenty of reading should get done. 

The dam in the river downtown is progressing. Earthworks have apparently restarted, as my dad saw an excavator up to its cab door in water spooning out bucket after bucket of riverbed into a waiting arctic dumper. That hasn't happened since October, so presumably an impasse has been passed.

Douglas

Edited by Florence Locomotive Works
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold

And here's to another St David's Day.

If you consider him to be the Patron Saint of all things Welsh, you are off to a good start:

Welsh Cakes, Bara Brith, Penderyn, Brains Beer, Welsh Rugby, Unpronounceable place names, words without vowels and our beloved sheep. 

Couple to that the almost continual liquid sunshine and the close harmony singing and you know where you want to take your next holiday.

Croeso!

• Like 5
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

And here's to another St David's Day.

If you consider him to be the Patron Saint of all things Welsh, you are off to a good start:

Welsh Cakes, Bara Brith, Penderyn, Brains Beer, Welsh Rugby, Unpronounceable place names, words without vowels and our beloved sheep. 

Couple to that the almost continual liquid sunshine and the close harmony singing and you know where you want to take your next holiday.

Croeso!

Would the answer to that be ;

a) in the Caribbean 

Happy St David's Big H

• Like 2
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold

I'm not a fan of lying on the beach, getting a sun tan and getting drunk on rum cocktails.

Having said that, I can remember Ayia Napa in the late 70's.  Then it was it was a deserted beach with a tin building with a dubious connection to the sewerage system; There was a small jetty with a couple of local fishing boats, a kebab stall and a chap who would lend us a boat (for suitable renumeration) to go fishing or water skiing.

I would not recognise it today.

Sadly the growth in tourism is also responsible for the destruction of large areas of beauty and natural habitats.  I'll bet the large lizard colony on the dunes behind Ayia Napa has long been buried under a swathe of concrete.

• Agree 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

15 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I'm not a fan of lying on the beach, getting a sun tan and getting drunk on rum cocktails.

Having said that, I can remember Ayia Napa in the late 70's.  Then it was it was a deserted beach with a tin building with a dubious connection to the sewerage system; There was a small jetty with a couple of local fishing boats, a kebab stall and a chap who would lend us a boat (for suitable renumeration) to go fishing or water skiing.

I would not recognise it today.

Sadly the growth in tourism is also responsible for the destruction of large areas of beauty and natural habitats.  I'll bet the large lizard colony on the dunes behind Ayia Napa has long been buried under a swathe of concrete.

Ah well that would be covered then by option b) three weeks trekking across the Artic ice sheet to reach the North Pole.

• Funny 5