Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium

I too have sciatica, the last time was as I was rolling out of bed. The only thing I could do was to roll carefully back into bed and very slowly get out again. One thing I do know is that the pain from kidney stones is different to sciatica. 

• Friendly/supportive 9

The only treatment that helped me with sciatica was acupuncture. I have had to resort to it four or five times and each time it has been very effective. 

Interestingly although maybe not surprisingly the quickest recovery came when I used a Chinese practitioner rather than an British one.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, coastalview said:

The only treatment that helped me with sciatica was acupuncture. I have had to resort to it four or five times and each time it has been very effective. 

Interestingly although maybe not surprisingly the quickest recovery came when I used a Chinese practitioner rather than an British one.

I have a couple of packs of (out of date) acupuncture needles if anyone want to do some diy.

Nyda has used an acupuncturist (Chinese) in the past and found the treatment very effective.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Sciatica is a pain in the rear aka a tenesmus (I'm married to a former bowel surgeons Secretary). I wish all of you good luck with it.  I have a slightly different problem,  namely how to dispose of a large and very dead fox that is in the old aviary that's attached to one side of the shed.  Apparently such things have to be reported to the president of the local Chasse. He's Roland Marchet who I've tried to contact with no success. However I've now rung the deputy mayor and am awaiting a reply.  Rather ironically the former aviary  is to become a chicken run.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

Evening,

Not much going on at the moment, other than preliminary exams on the run up to spring break. 

As I'm quiet young, I have not yetted be plagued by various "aches and pains" as the health commercials would say, although up until this year I regularly got quiet severe sore throats which would take me out of school for 3 days. Although I have heard that these aches and pains definitely aren't something to look forward to.

In recent past I've started building again in Meccano, as proper model engineering was finally deemed "uneconomical" by me for the amount that it cost. Currently I'm working on a rather small (when compared to most) block setting crane, based loosely on one made TImaru harbor board of Timaru New Zealand. Slewing gear has been a bit of a problem, but most of that problem has been solved with some pinions. Some sort of brake still needs fitting to it though to stop it whirling round when hoisting.

8525885.jpg.536c33e734c1407de25393e5da1217ae.jpg

source

IMG_2393.jpg.10277928466a4989c1310d5d5b60886c.jpg

The full wheeled undercarriage hasn't yet been reproduced as I don't have about sixteen 1/2 inch pulleys.

IMG_2394.jpg.e00aa50d91b164ea248daa8c2eef3006.jpg

Douglas

Edited by Florence Locomotive Works
  • Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold

Nice Crane! I used to have that colour Meccano!  My brother's (14 years younger than me) was yellow and silver.

I can't speak for all of the elderly and infirm frequenting this thread, but Dave Hunt and I can put most of our problems down to being exacerbated by military service.  That is to say that we might have got them anyway, but service conditions did nothing to mitigate the situation.  

Best give up karting now, wrap yourself in cotton wool and a duvet then lie shivering in your basement before it's too late!:laugh_mini:

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium

Operation Renard has been successfully completed. After futile attempts to dig a suitable grave in our rocky ground, the corpus delicto was wrapped in polythene and taken a couple of miles into their forest down an old railway track. There he was deposited behind a rock, minus the polythene as a food sauce for the local fauna. This method was suggested to me by a friend.  Apart from that not a lot will be done today apart from helping to eat a large fish pie followed by Apple crumble with custard then cheese. This feast is being prepared by the domestic goddess as I type, in honour of some friends who are heading back to thecUK soon.

Jamie

• Like 11

13 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

As I'm quiet young, I have not yetted be plagued by various "aches and pains" as the health commercials would say, although up until this year I regularly got quiet severe sore throats which would take me out of school for 3 days. Although I have heard that these aches and pains definitely aren't something to look forward to.

Douglas

40 is the birthday you notice in my experience.

It seems that is the time, subject to any previous accident damage, that bits start to fall off. A bit like cars at 10 years old

I went to bed a relatively unfit, but holding up considering (slipped lumber disc at 35,)  39 year old and woke up 40 and wondered why my shoulder had started to hurt. It has got worse since but not by much thankfully, which is more than can be said for my back, the beginnings of arthritis or RSI in my fingers and various other aches related to having a pretty ropey lower back.

If I was to offer three pieces of advice on aging it's 

1. Look after your back. This will help avoid the purgatory that is Sciatica

2. Keep moving.

3. Moisturise your hands as you get older. Mine crack terribly in the cold weather for no apparent reason. No fun when using sanitiser as is the current trend.

Andy

• Like 4
  • Agree 3

I had the same happen when i hit 42 downhill i went arthritis in knees and back now epilepsy diabetes never mind the mental health problems. 

I use a barrier cream on my hands before any work outside or that is hard on the hands. I started using it when i was working at Bison concrete Leeds.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 8

Talking of Jamie's fox

We had a job to collect a dead animal from Pottery Street in Castleford. It turned out it was a Swan. (The Council willl collect dead domestic animals ) we were instructed to move it out of the way and let nature take its course. 

Two days later wehad another job come through for a dead swan at Pottery Street. We went a bloke came out when we turned up and said that he found it in the bottom of the hedge (where we had put it) and that he had tried to give it mouth to mouth. I was gobsmacked i didnt know whether to be sick or laugh

• Like 1
  • Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

Yep  50 for me too , when diabetes with semi permanent aches and pains appeared. Though forepaw pains just over ten years later.

Most of my crumbling, was caused by being "encouraged" to do sport in the RAF..

When we found a dead fox in the garage ( the door was broken so it got in) it definitely wasn't going in the car, the smell was terrible. It was scooped on a shovel,  held down wind and dumped in a remote part of the garden for nature to do it's stuff.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Y

When we found a dead fox in the garage ( the door was broken so it got in) it definitely wasn't going in the car, the smell was terrible. It was scooped on a shovel,  held down wind and dumped in a remote part of the garden for nature to do it's stuff.

When I pop my clogs I'll make sure it's in your garage:  Just so everyone gets a good laugh when you try to scoop me onto  a shovel.

I'm not sure which will go first, the shaft of the shovel or your poor back:laugh_mini:.

• Round of applause 2
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Gold

We have had warnings when taking deceased small pets home from the vets to bury to go deep and cover with bricks before putting back the soil. The vet said seeing the remains of ones pet spread around the garden can be distressing for small children. Also we were told to be extra careful when burying one of our deceased rats as the amount of anaesthetic required to euthanise a rat could seriously discombobulate a fox digging up and eating the corpse. 

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

• RMweb Gold

I received my DCC sound decoder and all the various  other bits I'd ordered from Yoochoos this morning.

I only ordered it late on Wednesday, and after having a chat was expecting it early next week, so today's arrival was a welcome surprise.

Of course now I have to sit down and fit it all, although with the 14XX apart, from a quick dab with the soldering iron for the speaker(s) wiring, it's definitely plug and play.

It looks as if the speaker ordered for the Ixion will go in with no milling of the chassis being required, so again it's just a solder job, although this time it's having to hard wire the decoder into the loco which will probably take a little longer.

The plan is to fit the speakers and the stay alive capacitors into the chassis and reassemble it all, and then wire the decoder in.  That way there will be less small bits to try and hold in place when the final reassembly takes place.

I can also test run it without the body getting in the way!

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I can also test run it without the body getting in the way!

It can be a bit frustrating when it all works perfectly and the body doesn’t go back on. I do wonder if some manufacturers actually test their own locos with their own decoders. However it is very satisfying when something allegedly difficult goes well. I was a bit concerned about my Hornby Rocket but it was really easy. 

• Like 7
  • Agree 1

Well folks Danemouth took delivery of two new DMUs today, both from Bachmann. The 121 Bubble Car and the three car 117 (which will run as a 2 car unit). They are the green speed whiskers version with sound fitted. Initial impressions are very favourable - being run in on the rolling road at the minute.

Whilst I was doing the click and collect at L & B  I saw a new hardcover book on "Cardiff Muncipal Buses" so I bought that as well.

After that lot my card needed CPR. Pictures tomorrow with any luck

So that's four locos since Christmas - others are 94xx and Mogul, both late crest.

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Dave (H), will you be putting up some pictures for us to salivate over or will they be appearing on your layout thread?

As far as the 121 is concerned, you show me yours and I'll show you mine in GSYP (when it arrives).

I'd like an all blue one  as well, but that might be pushing my luck somewhat.:sorry_mini:

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

In a couple of weeks time I should have a layout. Someone mentioned on Farcebook that he had a couple of micro layouts for sale, he also mentioned that he lives in Southend. He sent me details and I will be going to view the layouts when lockdown allows. I've more or less selected which one and already planning a few minor changes. Both are based 'Somewhere in East London' which will remain.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

A hippo sized shovel shown below,.  Our dogs and the honory dog , aka the cat, were buried 4ft+ down.. no problems

image.png

Ps I never said it would be comfortable for a hippo..

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 7
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

But we don't all suffer the same fate. I'm 72 and have virtually no arthritic symptoms. I can relatively comfortably duck under the baseboard to get to the access hole where I can survey the fiddle-yard. Health is to some extent a lottery. My parents didn't suffer either. Mum died at 62 of breast cancer, dad at 73 of his second heart attack. And I am ectomorphic, much as they were - so can eat well and not put on weight. Thus my BMI (Body Mass Index) is spot on for my height, not because I am clever or diligent but just because. I do eat fairly sensibly, but that is easy - not denying myself anything, really.  All that said, the Grim Reaper can turn up unexpectedly any time he chooses. But I have suffered less (so far!) than many on the way through life. 

At your age, let life be fun and carefree - there will be plenty of years when family responsibilities and a challenging career will sap your strength. Don't grow up too soon!

• Like 10
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

As far as the 121 is concerned, you show me yours and I'll show you mine in GSYP (when it arrives).

I hope fitting a driver figure is easier than the Dapol OO version. 

• Like 5