Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

For smelly jobs i can recommend a dust mask with a smearing of Vics vaporub on the inside yes your eyes may smart but at least it gets did of offensive smells

Ah yes, but can it handle Hippo f@rts?

• Agree 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, polybear said:

Ah yes, but can it handle Hippo f@rts?

Most people of my personal acquaintance have either developed herd immunity or never been seen again.

It was only after he met me that Jamie moved to France!

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 15

One has returned to the fold, after donating 50% of the home PC to Civil Service use, as wifey returns to her old job, working from home, assisting DEFRA during this 'time of crisis' .

In other news........the roof covering of the 'man cave' has been replaced, and the fall now prevents the ponding that afflicted it previously.

The T&G sides will get some attention during the 'better weather' .

Planning of the new 'empire' ...............the BR (WR) Efflew Valley Branch, which connected the towns of Aberflyarff, Cwmbyhere and Twll Cach has already commenced.

As far as possible, we're hoping for an almost 'full frontal' concept a la Don Rowland, with Twll Cach appearing to be the branch exchange sidings (with the main line' implied in the background, inspired by Jas Milham's, "Bishops Yaxford"

The intention will be (hopefully) operation, with several industries along the Efflew Valley served by rail, and worked by trips from Twll Cach Yard.

I've no doubt a thread will commence, once there is something worth posting....watch this space.

In the meantime, "Ronnie & Reggie" are staying today, and our excercise, along the SWML, takes priority, followed by fitting new couplings to Grandson No.2s raft of HEA hoppers, before moving our attention to......you've guessed.....HMS Belfast.

• Like 15

42 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Most people of my personal acquaintance have either developed herd immunity or never been seen again.

It was only after he met me that Jamie moved to France!

I'm not sure France is outside the blast radius 

Andy

• Funny 11

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, SM42 said:

Andy

It's not the blast that's the problem, it's the slowly drifting noxious cloud with a large half life that causes most problem.

• Agree 4
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

2 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

It's not the blast that's the problem, it's the slowly drifting noxious cloud with a large half life that causes most problem.

We had people blaming a meteorite last week, but some of us know the truth about that loud explosion

Andy

• Like 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, br2975 said:

Planning of the new 'empire' ...............the BR (WR) Efflew Valley Branch, which connected the towns of Aberflyarff, Cwmbyhere and Twll Cach has already commenced.

As far as possible, we're hoping for an almost 'full frontal' concept a la Don Rowland, with Twll Cach appearing to be the branch exchange sidings (with the main line' implied in the background, inspired by Jas Milham's, "Bishops Yaxford"

The intention will be (hopefully) operation, with several industries along the Efflew Valley served by rail, and worked by trips from Twll Cach Yard.

I've no doubt a thread will commence, once there is something worth posting....watch this space.

In the meantime, "Ronnie & Reggie" are staying today, and our excercise, along the SWML, takes priority, followed by fitting new couplings to Grandson No.2s raft of HEA hoppers, before moving our attention to......you've guessed.....HMS Belfast.

You already have a Twll Cach Thread:  I made a comment on it last month when somebody else made an enquiry as to progress.

I think we should adopt the term 'Belfast' as an expletive for something we are not enjoying.

I am currently outside on the drive in the cold putting the timber stock into some semblance of order.  It's a right Belfast!

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I think we should adopt the term 'Belfast' as an expletive for something we are not enjoying.

Is this a cunning plan to divert people from using Telford as a descriptor? 

• Agree 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, SM42 said:

Andy

I've stayed safe so far, the prevailing wind from the bay of Biscay sends it towards the Germans, with added garlic.

1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

You already have a Twll Cach Thread:  I made a comment on it last month when somebody else made an enquiry as to progress.

I am currently outside on the drive in the cold putting the timber stock into some semblance of order.  It's a right Belfast!

Is that how the phrase 'a Belfast shed' originated then.  I only need to look at thevinteriorbof mine to realise it's a task above and beyond.

Jamie

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

A Belfasting Telf!

That's really bad!

Still the newly announced 7mm Scale B4 0-4-0T will please the small engine brigade as well as the Southern Mafia.

I'm surprised that Dapol don't upscale their Manor (78xx) to 7mm scale

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

It is my understanding that  Tdf Energy got a large grant in order to build the largest off shore wind farm in the World in the Channel. The fact that Tdf is a French firm and that the turbines all face the UK cannot be a conincidence.

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Winslow Boy said:

It is my understanding that  Tdf Energy got a large grant in order to build the largest off shore wind farm in the World in the Channel. The fact that Tdf is a French firm and that the turbines all face the UK cannot be a conincidence.

Since the prevailing wind blow up the channel from the SW, it's typical of the French to put in a large wind farm that will be forever generating nothing:laugh_mini:.

(Too much of a good idea to put a rotational head gear so that the turbine can always face into wind.)

Here's a thought.  Would it be possible to put contra rotating blades on a wind turbine to double power output?

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

...snip... Still the newly announced 7mm Scale B4 0-4-0T will please the small engine brigade as well as the Southern Mafia.

I'm surprised that Dapol don't upscale their Manor (78xx) to 7mm scale

I would rename one to Dungfield Manor; note that somewhere I have a Bachmann Manor in OO.

I will not need the Dapol B4 as I already have an 0-4-0T:

2009265169_BO0-4-0-002.JPG.06078af2619a00b26fa529c76102448a.JPG

1207435040_BO0-4-0-005.JPG.08b9f30087aa97bcc02270131900bc12.JPG

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

They are facing into the prevailing winds which are westerly.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

They are facing into the prevailing winds which are westerly.

All joking apart, even the old windmill builders and owners were able to build a rotating head on a windmill that ensured the sails were able to face into the wind.  The local wind turbines to us also have the ability to be feathered, much like the propeller on an aircraft, which enables them to be closed down when not required  for maintenance.

• Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

All joking apart, even the old windmill builders and owners were able to build a rotating head on a windmill that ensured the sails were able to face into the wind.  The local wind turbines to us also have the ability to be feathered, much like the propeller on an aircraft, which enables them to be closed down when not required  for maintenance.

Or if it's too windy. :O

A little part of me suspects that on calm days they drive the things by electricity just to keep up appearances .

Andy

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold

As my grandfather used to say: 'Another day, another dollar.'

A still start to the day, with no wind and a typical Telfland sky of grey.

I spent quite a bit of time outdoors yesterday:  Maximising the storage cube of the garage.  For those not familiar with the term it means pulling junk out and restacking it. so it looks less like junk.

Anyhow, all these heave-ho resulted in me feeling very tired and retiring  for a reasonably early night and having a very good sleep, although waking up at 0445 and finding it was already light  outside was pleasantly surprising.

I think a bit more maximising is required in the various external storage sites around the Hippodrome:  This really means showing off to the neighbours how much junk I actually have, and how they should be grateful that I keep it hidden most of the time.

What I really ought to be doing is making a pair of long skirting boards.  This involves making some scarf joints.  Because of the thickness, or lack of it in the materiel, once the joint is made and  the two bits of timber are cramped and glued in place, I route a long slot in the back face of the board and then add a reinforcing bar to spread the load.  Once it's in position there is no load, but there is quite a bit when you are having to carry it upstairs, so any additional strength is welcome.

The other method would be to get a much longer length of skirting, but I have no means of getting such home.

However, I have decided that this latest crop of diy is the last major works I shall be doing, any future works will be sub contracted out to others allowing me to concentrate on procrastination about my various hobbies.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 9