Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium

When we were on holiday in Mykonos back in the early 80s there was an English woman who lived out there who used to make snake and pygmy pies as well as pasties and sell them near the bus station in town. She reckoned that the majority of her sales were to Brit holidaymakers who were in their second week and missing home cuisine.

I once worked with a couple of guys who adored Cadbury Creme eggs and used to celebrate their arrival in the shops prior to Easter the way some wine buffs view the first shipments of Bueajolais Nouveau. I tried one once and the sweetness made my teeth ache as well as nearly causing me to decorate the floor. I've never touched one since.

Dave   

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

2 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Whereabouts in the North West Lowlands? Jill was born and bred in Formby and I lived there from the age of 12 until I joined the RAF.

No sh*t shovelling required at present and since HH hasn't visited in a while the mud level is quite manageable.

Dave

I'm within what is now known as Manutopia, but when I was a mer whippersnapper it used to be the city of Salford. Progress Pah.

Used to go to Formby to study the sand dunes when I was studying. Those were the years.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Formby

Dad lived Formby, (born in Rainhill) he says to tell you that he lived in No 12 (or No 5, google is being confused) Oakfield drive, and went to Woodlands Primary. That would have been during the 70s. 

Douglas

Edited by Florence Locomotive Works
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I once worked with a couple of guys who adored Cadbury Creme eggs and used to celebrate their arrival in the shops prior to Easter the way some wine buffs view the first shipments of Bueajolais Nouveau. I tried one once and the sweetness made my teeth ache as well as nearly causing me to decorate the floor. I've never touched one since.

Fighter Pilots:  6g, low level, dogfights, inverted, barrel rolls.....(not necessarily all at the same time) - no problem.

One CCE and they barf everywhere.

A weird bunch.....

• Agree 5
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold

I tried one once and the sweetness made my teeth ache as well as nearly causing me to decorate the floor. I've never touched one since.

Dave   

Be fair, you were pulling 7 G at the time

Edited by Happy Hippo
Just seem PB's comment
  • Like 2
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold

When I was young I was given a small chocolate egg filled with some gooey stuff. It can’t have been a Cadbury product as it was in the mid 1950s. I was unwell quite quickly. I have never tried one of the Cadbury eggs as they look similar to the one I didn’t enjoy as a small child. 
We still have a couple of normal size Easter eggs we bought last year for our nieces. We haven’t seen any family for a year now. Aditi sent books instead of eggs eventually last year. I don’t think the nieces go short of chocolate. They have grandparents very near by. 

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

When I was young I was given a small chocolate egg filled with some gooey stuff. It can’t have been a Cadbury product as it was in the mid 1950s. I was unwell quite quickly. I have never tried one of the Cadbury eggs as they look similar to the one I didn’t enjoy as a small child. 
We still have a couple of normal size Easter eggs we bought last year for our nieces. We haven’t seen any family for a year now. Aditi sent books instead of eggs eventually last year. I don’t think the nieces go short of chocolate. They have grandparents very near by. 

3 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

They claim to have been going for 200 years. I think that includes the mid-1950s?

But back in the 50's there was no sell by dates. There was no way you could be sure that wrapped chocolate items  were fresh. I remember on a few occasions opening a bar of chocolate only to find it was stale and uneatable.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I was always under the impression that chocolate didn't go off yes it may get a white bloom on it. I remember some tv programme where they shaved some off a bar that has been sent out to the troops in ww1 and they said it was perfectly edible.

I may be wrong 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

I was always under the impression that chocolate didn't go off yes it may get a white bloom on it. I remember some tv programme where they shaved some off a bar that has been sent out to the troops in ww1 and they said it was perfectly edible.

I may be wrong 

I know there’s a video on YouTube of someone eating the Fry’s chocolate that Queen Victoria decreed was to be sent to all British soldiers fighting in the Boer War, at Christmas 1901 IRC. I’ll post a link later if I can find it.

Edited by Florence Locomotive Works
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

They claim to have been going for 200 years. I think that includes the mid-1950s?

Yes they have been around for years but the Cadbury Creme egg wasn’t around in the 1950s so whatever I was given from a shop in Clevedon wasn’t a Cadbury product. 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, laurenceb said:

Noticed an ad on a bus shelter in Burton this year claiming that this is the 50th anniversary of the cce

That would make it 1970s so my vomit inducing gooey small chocolate  egg can’t be Cadbury. 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I've just spent the last three hours trying to get tickets for RWC 2023 in the second pre sale.  No luck this time after the five hours wasted on Monday.  Exactly the same problem, stand in the queue shuffle along and when you get to the checkout you are told there are none available.

The rugby social media is not painting a good picture with lots of fans having exactly the same problems and irritation.

Quite simply, if there are no tickets close the site with a notice to that effect and save a lot of people a lot of time. I am so  tempted to call the organisers a cunch of bunts.

I'm not bothering in April with the general sale and melee, and will spend my savings on something else...and still watch the Rugby on the television.

You can buy a shed load of Penderyn and cake for the cost of one ticket:laugh_mini:.

• Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

.............tempted to call the organisers a cunch of bunts.

What with that and "shog dit" (copyright: NHN IIRC) I suspect that attendance on this board may be having a bad influence on Bear.

Bring it on......:rofl:

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Dave47549 said:

'Fry's creme egg' until 1971.

It seems to get complicated. Cadbury’s first made a filled egg (source Wikipedia) in the 1920s but marketed the Creme egg under the Fry’s brand from 1963 until 1971. So perhaps the nasty egg I had could have been a Cadbury product being sold unbranded. 

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, Dave47549 said:

IIRC, Cadbury's & Fry's were (pre-shabby yank sellout) one & the same company!

I've very vague memory of a Fry's wrapper when I was a nipper & loved the things, nowadays I think just looking at one would induce a cardiac.

The Fry’s branded product I recall most is Turkish Delight. Which is quite different to the product it is named after. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Stop press - the person who usually cuts the grass for us has cried off with a sprained ankle and the grass really needs cutting. Ho hum....

Pity that there isn't one around here with detailed knowledge of sheep, they might be able to help you out. :scratchhead:

Adrian

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

Both Fry s and Cadbury were Quaker families. 

Fry s also made peppermint cream with a similar fondant filling to the cce   

Originally chocolate was sold as a drink to encourage temperance hence the Quaker link  in not sure if Rowntrees were Quaker but Joseph Rountree was a great campaigner for social justice.

Noel Terrys house in York was open to the public pre covid it is owned by the National Trust it's called Goddards 

Edited by simontaylor484
Further thought
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

I know there’s a video on YouTube if someone eating the Fry’s chocolate that Queen Victoria decreed was to be sent to all British soldiers fighting in the Boer War, at Christmas 1901 IRC. I’ll post a link later if I can find it.

Thanks Douglas it may have been that I was thinking of

• Like 3