Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Winslow Boy said:

No that wasn't it. My concern was can you actually see PB giving away a cake, espically a LDC one. No neither can I. I'd want to taste it first because knowing him it'll probably be made out of polyfilla and insulation board.

I don't use Polyfilla and insulation board to make cakes, they only taste as if I do.

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium

I finally traced an electrical fault. I've had part of the layout pulled apart (the magazine shelves underneath) because there was a dead spot in one of the station approaches. I'm using switch machines (point motors?) called the Bullfrog by Fasttracks which are a manual undertable item like a Bluepoint. I've been tracing and testing all sorts of things, replaced one unit and nothing helped. Today I played with the unit at the other end of the double slip and found that it wasn't activating the microswitches. So one of the screws on it was tightened and it now works. Hardest bit was that the screwdriver had to go through the unit at the other end of the DSS. The other awful bit was putting a wire up from below into the hole in a Peco tiebar when the thing is almost an arm's length away.

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Don't forget the clocks go forward an hour.

Make sure you have a designated clock re-setter, otherwise you might find they go on two hours instead!

My brother used to have a red setter would that have been suitable.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 5

18 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Has Mrs SM42 approved that..........

Jamie

Well I asked. 

The initial reaction was quite positive  :dance_mini:

Then she realised I might be serious about trading her in for a younger model

:nono:

:rtfm:

:punish:

:blackeye:

:dontknow:

Andy

• Funny 7

• RMweb Gold

This morning it was up early for a walk around Attingham Park.

We took the long walk, which meant we got back home in time for a late lunch.

I've just resurfaced after falling asleep!

This was not a planned mini hibernation, but was supposed to be a few minutes of rest on the bed to allow the lubricating eye drops to do their work as the old peepers were a bit sore after being out in the wind.

The smell of toasting ginger crumpets revived me.

Since there is currently a small surfeit of these, the fruit bun manufacturing has been put on hold until tomorrow.

• Like 8

I believe I have been recently suffering from what is know as "modelling burnout"

Around the end of February after mostly completing my Kirtley DF 700 class I began within a week I began to lose almost all enthusiasm for modelling. This feeling of lack of enthusiasm has continued on too today. Why I don't know, maybe it's because of the ferocity at which I attack new projects, or something else. My various Meccano and Marklin adventures were vain attempts to rekindle this.

It has however been attached with the overarching thought of wanting to buy myself something nice, that I can use without fear of breakage. A live steam engine came to mind, a few of which I have but am intending to sell for various reasons. I thought about trying and in fact I did try once again to remove the fitting from the Bassett Lowke Mogul, however the thought of having to maintain it put a stop to that. Of course I do not intend to sell the Mogul. A few other things came to mind, Hornby Dublo, a Heljan 47xx, the wrecked Stuart S50 (probably the only stuart I could afford) on the Maxitrak second hand page, all the things normally I would have jumped at the chance to maybe acquire, but none could garner any enthusiasm from me. Not even my new watch. 

Another cause for this may be my rapidly dwindling amounts of free time, as for some reason homework loads increased massively halfway through February, and now on an average day I only have 1 1/2 hours of free time, 30 mins of which is taken up with dinner.

Something that did manage to spark a bit of interest was something in 2 1/2 inch gauge, which would be fantastic but prices appeared to say no.

Douglas

• Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium

Speaking of ordering things, I just (a couple of days ago, that is) preordered a Dapol class 66 (more later) and a Dapol streamlined railcar in BR maroon and cream; it reminds me of a Philadelphia & Western 200 class "Bullet", these were maroon and cream at one time also:

1999698693_ElectricCityTrolleyMuseum2005-019F.JPG.4263b13f7b1adbbe4b8fd6fc11d3a6b4.JPG

They were called "bullets" as they were fast, very fast and could touch 90 inbound from Norristown. The new Kawasakis (which look like a shoebox) can just barely get out of their own way. :biggrin_mini:

Dapol class 66:

I have liked these (and the 59s) ever since I first saw a photo of one on RailfanEurope.net years ago. My only disappointment with the Dapol 66 is the sound-dcc, dcc, & conventional all share the same road number 66504 (odd, my Lima OO has that number!); I would have gotten the conventional and the dcc if they had different numbers so I could double-shot them. Oh, and the Freightliner is in the "Powerhaul" color scheme rather than the original. :( My original thought was the Biffa "Flying Dustman" but after seeing photos of the prototype, I realized that the color scheme was too plainjane to interest me; it did not stand out at all.

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

The experimental cinnamon, cranberry and orange buns are at the cooking stage.

Results in about a quarter of an hour.

If they are any good I will have to eat them.

If they aren't any good, I'll have to eat them to hide the evidence.

It's a win-win situation!

• Like 4
  • Funny 5

28 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Bun munching has commenced.

I may be a little time...

Do the inhabitants of Hipposhire need to batten down the hatches in case there is an explosive reaction to the experimental combination? And if there is have you checked the prevailing wind patterns as I don't think the residents of Manucopia will be pleased if they are subject to the resultant fall out.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 7

Here's  a phrase you don't  hear often

"Luckily there's some left over broccoli for your dinner"

The words luckily and left over broccoli should not even begin to speculate about being in the same  sentence. 

Now if it was left over cake ( rarer than hen's teeth, I know) then that is entirely different.

Andy

Edited by SM42
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

48 minutes ago, SM42 said:

Here's  a phrase you don't  hear often

"Luckily there's some left over broccoli for your dinner"

He words luckily and left over broccoli should not even begin to speculate about being in the same  sentence. 

Now if it was left over cake ( rarer than hen's teeth, I know) then that is entirely different.

Andy

Perhaps it was a trick question? Maybe it was meant to be ' here is some left over cake, would you like a piece' but once it had left there brain to go to the mouth it got intercepted and instead broccoli was inserted instead of cake.

Or more seriously your brain is replacing the word cake with the word broccoli as you have developed a secret craving for it. In which case I would suggest an urgent visit be requested to the local ENT to make certain your ears are working correctly or flailing that check that you arn't pregnant and subject to unusual cravings.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 5

6 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

Perhaps it was a trick question? Maybe it was meant to be ' here is some left over cake, would you like a piece' but once it had left there brain to go to the mouth it got intercepted and instead broccoli was inserted instead of cake.

Or more seriously your brain is replacing the word cake with the word broccoli as you have developed a secret craving for it. In which case I would suggest an urgent visit be requested to the local ENT to make certain your ears are working correctly or flailing that check that you arn't pregnant and subject to unusual cravings.

No, it was broccoli :(

Andy

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, SM42 said:

No, it was broccoli :(

Andy

When we had a glut (error on order) of broccoli earlier this year we had broccoli soup, broccoli with Stilton soup, broccoli tossed with pasta. Probably still some lurking frozen in a freezer too. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

We grow purple sprouting broccoli.

When you cook it, the colour turns to green like ordinary broccoli.

We also grow yellow beetroot, but that stays yellow!

Tonight's news includes the fact that 70% of the buns made this morning have succumbed to digestion, plus I have not fitted and tested the Ixion Fowler with it's sound decoder.

This was the first time I'd hardwired a decoder into a loco, so imagine my surprise when it worked first time.

I did make a short video of it on the rolling road, but it's rather too large to put up.  

I must learn to make lower definition pictures and videos.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

We grow purple sprouting broccoli.

When you cook it, the colour turns to green like ordinary broccoli.

We also grow yellow beetroot, but that stays yellow!

Tonight's news includes the fact that 70% of the buns made this morning have succumbed to digestion, plus I have not fitted and tested the Ixion Fowler with it's sound decoder.

This was the first time I'd hardwired a decoder into a loco, so imagine my surprise when it worked first time.

I did make a short video of it on the rolling road, but it's rather too large to put up.  

I must learn to make lower definition pictures and videos.

Is it safe to come out now? Haven't heard the all clear so if someone could just nip out and check I'd be most grateful. Been inside with all the doors and windows shut all afternoon just in case something noxious eminated from the hippodrome. 

• Like 6
  • Funny 1