Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Dapol 66 and Streamlined Railcar?

I can only hope these are are the 7 mm versions!

Oh, most assuredly! Although I do have a couple of OO 66s. Here are two on a friend's layout:

100_4094.JPG.66a114720e4a52e972816651e20d5586.JPG

100_4079.JPG.a43cc40ea5ac133f2f0bf8b31c8d38ad.JPG

9 hours ago, SM42 said:

Here's  a phrase you don't  hear often

"Luckily there's some left over broccoli for your dinner"

The words luckily and left over broccoli should not even begin to speculate about being in the same  sentence.

Now if it was left over cake ( rarer than hen's teeth, I know) then that is entirely different.

Andy

As for broccoli, bring it on, lots of it!! Along with cauliflower and Brussels sprouts. The first two make a great salad along with a few other ancillary additives. I will take them over cake (yes, even LDC) any day. Brussels sprouts cooked/dipped in lemon butter!!!!! I am getting hungry just typing this. :biggrin_mini:

Edited by J. S. Bach
To add some information and photos
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I must learn to make lower definition pictures and videos.

Bear uses Irfanview (free download) - just open an image with it, then click "Image" and "Resize" - it'll give options for size etc.  Not sure about videos, having never tried it.  Works fine for Bear

4 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

As for broccoli, bring it on, lots of it!! Along with cauliflower and Brussels sprouts. The first two make a great salad along with a few other ancillary additives. I will take them over cake (yes, even LDC) any day.

Brussels sprouts cooked/dipped in lemon butter!!!!! I am getting hungry just typing this. :biggrin_mini:

:O:O

:bad::bad:

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I can take or leave Broccoli but love sprouts and cauliflower.   As to videos, the simple way is to upload it to Youtube then post a link.  That's what I do.  

Anyway, it's J or jab day so cheery bye for now.

Jamie

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

My car is in for annual service today. Actually it's nearly two months overdue, but it's only done just over 2k miles in the last year, due to the pandemic, of course. So I have just walked back from the village, which took me 25 mins. At 10.00, not much more than half an hour, I leave again to collect the car! There used to be a café in the village, and a hairdresser, baker, and a general store. Now there is just a butcher, which closed briefly a while back but was purchased. And all those businesses closed long before Covid. 

I like broccoli, probably one of my fave veggies, really. It is also alleged to be good for us in warding off cancer. 

Lovely Spring weather, still, sunny, 20 degrees certain again today - it was 23 on my terrasse yesterday afternoon. Rain next week, but after a moderately dry Winter, I suspect we need it. 

Meanwhile, back in Torquay, Sherry is today allowed to visit her holiday cabin near Dartmoor, but is not allowed to stay the night until 12th April. She will check systems etc. It's only 40' drive from her flat, but a world away in ambience - and her flat is pretty nicely situated, with a green opposite and no chance of development. 

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

My car is in for annual service today. Actually it's nearly two months overdue, but it's only done just over 2k miles in the last year, due to the pandemic, of course. So I have just walked back from the village, which took me 25 mins. At 10.00, not much more than half an hour, I leave again to collect the car! There used to be a café in the village, and a hairdresser, baker, and a general store. Now there is just a butcher, which closed briefly a while back but was purchased. And all those businesses closed long before Covid. 

I like broccoli, probably one of my fave veggies, really. It is also alleged to be good for us in warding off cancer. 

Lovely Spring weather, still, sunny, 20 degrees certain again today - it was 23 on my terrasse yesterday afternoon. Rain next week, but after a moderately dry Winter, I suspect we need it. 

Meanwhile, back in Torquay, Sherry is today allowed to visit her holiday cabin near Dartmoor, but is not allowed to stay the night until 12th April. She will check systems etc. It's only 40' drive from her flat, but a world away in ambience - and her flat is pretty nicely situated, with a green opposite and no chance of development. 

So many villages in France have lost their local businesses. We still have a general store but its current owner is of retirement age and I think she will close as soon as her parents, who founded the business, are dead. When my parents first bought a house here forty-eight years ago, there was a bar, three grocery shops, a baker, a service station, two butchers, two hairdressers and an ironmonger. At one time, there were four bars - one for each political persuasion. 

• Informative/Useful 8
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Our village has never had a shop, just a chapel and two pubs.  Only one of the pubs remains, and is (was/should be) a popular venue.

One interesting bit of local news is the site of the former sugar beet factory at Allscott is being developed as a housing estate.  Probably around 400 houses, so not a small undertaking.  The local authority have already changed the speed along the road that fronts it from NSL to 30 mph in anticipation of lots of emerging traffic (they also needed this for the construction traffic).

However, we cannot see any shops being built, or a new doctors surgery, or a new school, so one assumes that existing services will have to take up the slack!

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Our village has never had a shop, just a chapel and two pubs.  Only one of the pubs remains, and is (was/should be) a popular venue.

Now chapels were notorious for faction and subdivision but usually it would have been between teetotalers and drinkers. I wonder what doctrinal issue divided the drinkers?

• Agree 5

• RMweb Premium

Our village used to have a bakery but as far as I know no other shop. However one of the local farming families do sell produce when they have it such as duck and pintard (Guinea Fowl). Our nearest grocery shop and bakery are 3 miles away.

Jamie

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

However, we cannot see any shops being built, or a new doctors surgery, or a new school, so one assumes that existing services will have to take up the slack!

No profit in any of those.....

cynical hat off....

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, polybear said:

No profit in any of those.....

cynical hat off....

There has been a proposal for years now for about 800 houses to be built on some farmland near us. There was concern about school provision and traffic by those who lived nearby. Eventually the local traffic infrastructure improvement turned out to be an electronic bus timetable at the nearest  bus stop. I stopped any interest in following developments when the email group started posting what I considered inappropriate remarks (not about bus stops, more about who might move in to the area). 

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

There has been a proposal for years now for about 800 houses to be built on some farmland near us. There was concern about school provision and traffic by those who lived nearby. Eventually the local traffic infrastructure improvement turned out to be an electronic bus timetable at the nearest  bus stop. I stopped any interest in following developments when the email group started posting what I considered inappropriate remarks (not about bus stops, more about who might move in to the area). 

I'd keep an eye on it if I were you. These developments are happening all over and the local councils can't do much about it. A developer acquires some land then puts forward a plan to build houses on the land. If the planning authority says no the developer reaches for a lawyer to appeal against the decision. The planning authority then have to get their own lawyer to defend the decision. Those lawyers don't come cheap and the authority often can't afford to hire those lawyers. Some authorities just roll over and rubber stamp the development others try to recover something from the wreckage and stipulate x% social housing and a few 'starter homes' that few can afford. Yet whenever this happens 'its always the councils fault' whatever their colour.

• Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

As I was preparing my lunch the phone rang:  It was some call centre in London.

'Hello, is that Richard?'

'Yes'

'Hello there, my name is Simon and I want to talk to you about...

At this point  I interrupted:

'Simon my dear friend, I am so glad you called.  In fact I was just about to give you a call.

I wanted to tell you all about The Looooord Jeeesus!'

Simon rang off.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 1
  • Round of applause 5
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

'Yes'

'Simon my dear friend, I am so glad you called.  In fact I was just about to give you a call.

Simon rang off.

Nice story. The recommended procedure for dealing with doorstepping Jehovah's Witnesses is, "What excellent timing. Do come in and meet Fr. Murphy."

• Like 4
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

Nice story. The recommended procedure for dealing with doorstepping Jehovah's Witnesses is, "What excellent timing. Do come in and meet Fr. Murphy."

Our response was,hello, we're baptists, just hang on while I get my bible then we can pray together. That usually sends them running.

Jamie

• Like 8
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

We were on a cruise once and frequently dined on the same table as a JW family. The father of the family was most interested to learn we were from South Essex and did we know about their new HQ near Chelmsford. I said we did as it was on the way to a nice pub where we liked to have lunch. He said he had been involved with some of the legal and funding details of the purchase. I wondered how they had got planning permission on the edge of a fairly affluent village. He said it wasn’t really a problem. The site was an old scrap yard rather than an agricultural property so for the council the choice between old scrap or JWs wasn’t too difficult. 

• Like 8

A load of new houses have been built near us on the old pit site new facilities have been promised but so far all that has arrived is an extension to the school a new link road and some mud tracks surfaced.

My Grandad (mums dad) once got Jehovas witnesses knock on door they introduced themselves as Sister so and so and Sister so and so. He then went to introduce himself as Cary Grant.

• Like 1
  • Funny 7

Locally as a condition of planning permision was a new bridge over the trent work to start when 100 houses had been sold. Suprise suprise when 100 houses had been sold the developer came bacl and said we cant afford it, it will have to wait till we have sold 500. 20 years later the new bridge is a mound of soil in the middle of a field.

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Our response was,hello, we're baptists, just hang on while I get my bible then we can pray together. That usually sends them running.

Jamie

Bear once answered the door clutching a circular saw - that had a similar effect, strangely....

12 hours ago, laurenceb said:

Locally as a condition of planning permision was a new bridge over the trent work to start when 100 houses had been sold. Suprise suprise when 100 houses had been sold the developer came bacl and said we cant afford it, it will have to wait till we have sold 500. 20 years later the new bridge is a mound of soil in the middle of a field.

And the council didn't see that one coming?  They should've insisted on some form of bond to ensure it did happen, even if the developer mysteriously goes bankrupt once the houses are built....

In other news:

The bathroom door is skimmed, fixed and back where it should be :) Some sorting of the shed has taken place and stuff disposed of - much more to do tomorrow.  However......

Having spent much of the day with those little cuts on Bear's thumbs stingin' like mad,  Bear happened to be walking past the cupboard where there just happened to be a Salted Caramel Cake squirreled away.  It was already open, past it's best before date and forever at risk from marauding Hippo's.  What is a Bear to do?  Well, I did......it wasn't my fault...I was justified.....I needed it......I'd earned it......

......so endeth the case for the defence....

Bear has just heard an account from one of the WPC's (a Sergeant) on the evening news who was on duty at the Sarah Everard protest in Hyde Park Clapham Common. Apart from being assaulted three times, being subjected to calls of "kill the bill (correction) police", she was also told she should be raped and murdered.  And the fairer sex feel they were unfairly treated?  Rant over, before Bear's account gets suspended....

Edited by polybear
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, polybear said:

Bear has just heard an account from one of the WPC's (a Sergeant) on the evening news who was on duty at the Sarah Everard protest in Hyde Park.  Apart from being assaulted three times, being subjected to "kill the bill" (and meaning the police in this context) she was also told she should be raped and murdered.  And the fairer sex feel they were unfairly treated?  Rant over, before Bear's account gets suspended....

And is this a surprise? The fact that a serving Met officer is charged with the murder is exactly why Ms Dick got it wrong allowing officers to intervene at the vigil. Feelings running high? Are we surprised?

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

'Yes'

Simon rang off.

4 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Having spent the last 13 years developing my beard that now reaches down to my chest my way of dealing with JW's is to give them a stare and say in a loud voice 'Allah is the one true god' , that gets them running.:D

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
Just now, PhilJ W said:

Having spent the last 13 years developing my beard that now reaches down to my chest my way of dealing with JW's is to give them a stare and say in a loud voice 'Allah is the one true god' , that gets them running.:D

I'm not so very confident of my knowledge of Islam's view of intentionality but doesn't that make you a de facto Muslim?

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

I'm not so very confident of my knowledge of Islam's view of intentionality but doesn't that make you a de facto Muslim?

Actually I'm an atheist. I haven't had any god botherers call since I placed a 'no cold callers' notice on the door. Apparently most organisations like the JW's take heed of such notices as they don't want the bad publicity that comes from ignoring them.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, polybear said:

However......

Having spent much of the day with those little cuts on Bear's thumbs stingin' like mad,  Bear happened to be walking past the cupboard where there just happened to be a Salted Caramel Cake squirreled away.  It was already open, past it's best before date and forever at risk from marauding Hippo's.  What is a Bear to do?  Well, I did......it wasn't my fault...I was justified.....I needed it......I'd earned it......

......so endeth the case for the defence....

Case dismissed.

The other not so pleasant thing you mentioned really gets my back up.

I believe fifty lashes and six months imprisonment (no time off for good behaviour) ought to be the staple for vicious threats like that:

Twenty five lashes on the day of admission, and then six months to look forward to the other twenty five.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 3