Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

Too late!

image.png.9ec1cccbce6bea1d91a89cb3918a9da8.png

OMG! It'll take all day to get rid of that mental image, providing it isn't seared into my brain too deeply ever to be removed. I'm just about to go for a walk with Jill in the hope that the sights of nature can help.

Dave

• Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

HH in a tutu, NOOOOoooo:scared:

My middle child had a hippo in a tu tu..........

It regularly used to get hung by his elder brother, usually along with their sisters teddy.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Funny 3

18 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I don't know what next door's au pair thinks she's doing when I'm trying to relax in the muddy hollow.

It completely ruins my train of thought:

muddy.jpg.fa14a9a0fac2732d16ad21335793a4b5.jpg

Slightly overdressed?  Bill

• Agree 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold

I seem to have spent most of my time so far today on cleaning ,tidying and repairs of a domestic nature.

An unfortunate bout of blue sky thinking extended the new 'portable' line to 22 feet in length!

I've just taken the tape measure out to the car to see if it is feasible!

• Like 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

My middle child had a hippo in a tu tu..........

It regularly used to get hung by his elder brother, usually along with their sisters teddy.

Jamie

Those people who have been on cruises may have experienced the “towel art” produced by the stewards. Usually something like an elephant or a swan. However on one cruise the steward made a monkey and hung it on a noose from a coat hook. Quite a surprise when we opened the cabin door that night after dinner. 

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

OMG! It'll take all day to get rid of that mental image, providing it isn't seared into my brain too deeply ever to be removed. I'm just about to go for a walk with Jill in the hope that the sights of nature can help.

Dave

Would you like a booster tomorrow?

I could pm you some more pictures to keep the background imprint fresh if that would help.

It can't really be that bad:  I spent an enjoyable evening yesterday going through three of Neil Parkhurst's books about the railways of Gloucestershire.  The Midland Railway and it's successors featured heavily in one particular volume.

The nausea and vomiting I half expected after such contamination, failed to materialise.:laugh_mini:

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

Those people who have been on cruises may have experienced the “towel art” produced by the stewards. Usually something like an elephant or a swan. However on one cruise the steward made a monkey and hung it on a noose from a coat hook. Quite a surprise when we opened the cabin door that night after dinner. 

Perhaps he thought you were from Hartlepool?

• Funny 6

Over on the “Hornby A2/2 and A2/3 (2020 Range)” topic, ‘robmcg’ said:

“There is a rumour that Simon Kohler wanted to 'do' the Thompson A2/2 and A2/3 locos partly because of their names. How can you refuse a name like 'Chamossaire'?”

That brought back a vague memory. On the old A1 (the road, not an engine), south of Bramham in Yorkshire, there was a gate into a driveway which had an A2 nameplate fixed into the wall. I saw it there in the 1960s -1968 at the latest. After much thinking, I eventually came up with the name ‘Hycilla’, and a Google search came up with this:

https://bowcliffehall.co.uk/office/hycilla/

I lived near there in the mid 1970s. I don’t remember seeing the nameplate then and I can’t see it now on Streetview. Does anyone know what happened to the plate and where it is now?

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium

I had a slight catastrophe in the workshop this afternoon when I sprayed the bogie from my breakdown crane with Testors Dullcote. I've been using Dullcote for donkey's years to give an overall Matt finish to models and have never had any trouble with it affecting the paint underneath but today was different. The main black paint I'd used was from a car finish rattle can, which sort I've often employed with no problem but this one, as soon as the Dullcote touched it, crazed and wrinkled like mad. Hence it ended up in a bath of thinners and is now back to bare brass. Unfortunately I have several cans of rattle can black and I'm not sure which one I'd used so some experimentation is now needed to see which one was the culprit.

Rats!

Dave

• Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Would you like a booster tomorrow?

I could pm you some more pictures to keep the background imprint fresh if that would help.

If I said that I'd rather be forced to look at pictures of pannier tanks, would that give some idea of how much I wouldn't like a booster?

Dave

Oh, hell, what have I just done?

Edited by Dave Hunt
Added footnote of dreadful realisation
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

If I said that I'd rather be forced to look at pictures of pannier tanks, would that give some idea of how much I wouldn't like a booster?

Dave

Oh, hell, what have I just done?

Colour or B&W?

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

15 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Never mind us wanting a groan button, where's the 'runs screaming into the night' button when you need it? 

Dave

Dear Mr Hunt 

As existing customer, garden maintenance division, you have been selected for a special promotion that we here at Services R Us are trialling in your area (Hipposhire- North)

We are delighted to be able offer our P.I.S offer. Please note that P.I.S is only available to a select minority and is a time limited offer.

What does the P.I.S offer that other similar services don't. We guarantee our service, which is twenty four hours, seven days a week to give peace of mind.

Don't delay, order your Pannier Interception Service today.

Please note that Services R Us will not be held responsible if you do not fully comply with all of the contract stipulations. A copy of which is available at our company headquarters c/o Santa's Grotto, Lapland, The North Pole.

Also due to the current Covid 19 restrictions no more than one operative will be on your property at the time of interception.

Yours sincerely

Head of alternative services 

Services R Us.

• Funny 9

Evening all,

Big Biology test today, it seemed to have gone well.

Last night a boiler feed pump and the various needed fittings were ordered from PM Research, the USA's primary model engineering supplier. They should be here early next week, and I'll try to post progress updates on here. A new water gauge was also purchased, which will be helpful! A water tank will need making, so once the pump is plumbed into the boiler via the bottom water gauge fitting, I'll get on the McMaster Carr website and buy some brass, along with various bushings, unions and tube from PM Research.

Douglas

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 2

10 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Never mind us wanting a groan button, where's the 'runs screaming into the night' button when you need it? 

Dave

Dear Mr Hunt,

As part of the therapy to cure you of your aversion to our glorious Pannier tank here is an image of five of them together

Z6A_0537.jpg.a4a20f4e895699bc382a421d55ef80eb.jpg

With all best wishes,

Churchward & Collett

• Like 6
  • Funny 7

On 07/04/2021 at 15:45, Happy Hippo said:

The electrics will simply be a bus bar which utilises the over centre baseboard catches on either side of the board to carry positive and negative current.  I would not do that - banana plugs are safer.  You may also put in a d.c. supply as well.  Colour coded of course, blue & red = dcc, yellow & green = d.c.

The fiddle yard (cassettes) will be plain topped 4' x 2' board with a 2' x 2' fold out extension.  This will lie face to face for transit purposes but when opened out will create a table of 6' x 2' on which to wrangle the cassettes.  Such a table will give me a class 2/3 diesel pulling 8 mineral wagons and a brake van.

I hinge my fiddle yards, with a 3' foldover.  So a 4' board in transit results in 1' scenic and 6' fiddle yard.

Richard, comments in red.  Bill

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

How many pannier tanks does it take to do the work of one (notoriously small) Midland engine?

Of course a certain Midland loco could also do the work of those three with only 2 engine crew.

Jamie

• Agree 6

• RMweb Gold

Those Pannier things got everywhere, they even got down to the Folkestone Harbour Branch, could not have been that powerful as they needed three of four of them on each train being pushed up to Folkestone East Junction.

Keith

• Like 1
  • Funny 4