Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Of course a certain Midland loco could also do the work of those three with only 2 engine crew.

Four. That was the Midland engine I was referring to but as is well-known all Midland engines were small, so it must have been so too.

3 minutes ago, tetsudofan said:

Those Pannier things got everywhere, they even got down to the Folkestone Harbour Branch, could not have been that powerful as they needed three of four of them on each train being pushed up to Folkestone East Junction.

Replacing the same number of Stirling Class R 0-6-0Ts (rebuilt to R1 I suppose). So, no better than a 19th-century tank engine, which is as much as to say no better than they should be, being themselves Victorian in design - though they look much more charming with saddle tanks.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, bbishop said:

Richard, comments in red.  Bill

I'm interested in the comments.

Especially about the safer bit!

I ask because along the length of the boards, the  tops will have three sets of running rails (main/loop/branch or head shunt/ two sidings) all carrying the +/-  track power 32 mm apart.   These are the same voltage as the +/- bus bars.

Had I been carrying lots of power cables over then I'd use the same system as we use on SWS which were D sub type connectors.  These were retrofitted after much frustration with banana plug type connectors.

24 minutes ago, tetsudofan said:

Those Pannier things got everywhere, they even got down to the Folkestone Harbour Branch, could not have been that powerful as they needed three of four of them on each train being pushed up to Folkestone East Junction.

Keith

Different type of pannier tank.  Those in the video clip are the later Hawksworth 94xx class (84xx series allocated to Lickey).  Those used at Folkstone were of the 57xx series(or various number sub classes) which had the same tractive effort but were lighter.  They replaced the R1 0-6-0t at Folkstone, which also needed to bank in multiple as already mentioned by Stephen.

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
Just now, polybear said:

I'm sure there must be a law against doin' things like that....:o

I'd only be worried if Donk had a smile on his face, rather than concentrating on the road ahead.

Trains is serious business.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, laurenceb said:

Can we please have prior warning if you must post pics of paneers!:jester:

Please acknowledge this as prior warning, be it now, or in 500 pages times that pannier tanks might and will appear on these pages.

This also applies to all other jokes about my virtual size, bathing in mud and any flatulence problems.

However, in the spirit of being even minded and not showing bias, the same rulings will have to apply to all other contributions here at TNM.  This includes cake and whisky.

It  doesn't mean that readers and contributors have to sit down with their buttocks clenched, a bucket to hand and peering from behind hard cover, whilst wearing a respirator and a tin hat, but you have been warned.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

Please acknowledge this as prior warning, be it now, or in 500 pages times that pannier tanks might and will appear on these pages.

This also applies to all other jokes about my virtual size, bathing in mud and any flatulence problems.

However, in the spirit of being even minded and not showing bias, the same rulings will have to apply to all other contributions here at TNM.  This includes cake and whisky.

It  doesn't mean that readers and contributors have to sit down with their buttocks clenched, a bucket to hand and peering from behind hard cover, whilst wearing a respirator and a tin hat, but you have been warned.

Will a tinfoil hat suffice at 1000km distance.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Will a tinfoil hat suffice at 1000km distance.

Jamie

When Supersonic does some mud moving, on my behalf, to deliver your 3 Kg of lead shot, will a foil hat be sufficient protection, as I would hate it to put a dent in your vocabulary?

• Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

How many pannier tanks does it take to do the work of one (notoriously small) Midland engine?

No wonder the 8F was struggling with all the steam leaking out.

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Danemouth said:

As part of the therapy to cure you of your aversion to our glorious Pannier tank here is an image of five of them together

What's the collective noun for a group of pannier tanks? A nuisance maybe?

Dave  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

1 minute ago, Dave Hunt said:

Dave  

No problem Mr Hunt just activate your P.I.S blocker. Here at Services R Us we pride ourselves on excellent proactive customer services so even though we have yet to receive confirmation of your acceptance we have activated one of our operatives, a Mr H Hippo. He has confirmed he has your details and is inbound as we speak. Please remember to report your satisfaction of the level of service.

Yours sincerely

Head of Alternative Services.

• Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, polybear said:

A scrapyard....

One wonders if the bear would touch a pannier tank?

Just think of a GWR cake box emblazoned with panniers and lots of shiny brass and copper and containing a superbly crafted LDC.

Do you feel lucky...Well do you, Bear?

• Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

One wonders if the bear would touch a pannier tank?

Just think of a GWR cake box emblazoned with panniers and lots of shiny brass and copper and containing a superbly crafted LDC.

Do you feel lucky...Well do you, Bear?

A GWR Cake Tin?  No way - it'll make the contents turn rancid in seconds.  Now an LNER Tin - or an LMS - or even a BR Std.  - that WOULD be a fine proposition....

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

Dave  

1 hour ago, polybear said:

A scrapyard....

I was thinking og 'An abomination of panniers.'

Jamie

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2