Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:
27 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Yes it was reduced in size somewhat. I didn’t tell them what the actual full scale size would be, something I really should have. 

I couldn’t remember the size but I have just looked it up and the low pressure cylinder bore was 83inches.

• Like 4
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

I was once talking to a non-railway orientated friend and mentioned compound expansion, saying that it was a subject of some controversy among enthusiasts and briefly describing the different methods tried. He commented that they were all just double expansion and asked why no-one had tried triple expansion. I showed him a photograph of a Webb Compound with the low pressure cylinder cover visible. "Ah, " he said, " Now I see."

Dave

• Like 7
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

I was once talking to a non-railway orientated friend and mentioned compound expansion, saying that it was a subject of some controversy among enthusiasts and briefly describing the different methods tried. He commented that they were all just double expansion and asked why no-one had tried triple expansion. I showed him a photograph of a Webb Compound with the low pressure cylinder cover visible. "Ah, " he said, " Now I see."

Dave

The Norfolf and Western Y6b's, that were very successful  Mallets,  had 48" low pressure cylinders on the front engine.  They look truly enormous.  David P Morgan commrnted, no figure control.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Tony_S said:

I couldn’t remember the size but I have just looked it up and the low pressure cylinder bore was 83inches.

As powers increased this became an efficiency issue, so later large engines had four cylinders, but were triple expansion, with two low pressure cylinders.  Getting the steam in and out is a problem with such large volumes - valves have to be huge, and are restrictive and also take a lot of power to actually move.

In my field of large slow speed diesel engines the same issues applied, with cylinder bores peaking at about 1050mm, then easing back into the 900's as the diminishing returns came into play.  The improvements in power now are to to massively improved injection systems and very high turbocharging boost pressures.  The specific outputs have doubled since my 'days' in the 70/80's.

• Informative/Useful 7

5 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

I think that the Y6Bs are superb looking locomotives. A friend of mine has an O scale model of one that he bought in the States some years ago and I covet it.

Dave

So if it was a choice between the memsahib and the said locomotive which would choose?

Don't worry we won't let on to the memsahib.

• Funny 4

Oh dear. I'll leave you to explain that to her.

What flowers do you want on the coffin? The usual or something different. Anyone know who in the RAF you speak to about them attending a deceased comrades funeral.

Only joking Dave. You have got it bad though.

• Like 4

There's always a coffin, even if its empty. Pall bearers have to have something to carry!

Plus undertakers got to make a profit there speaks the chap who used to look after cemeteries.

Would you like me to run interception for HH?

• Funny 7

• RMweb Premium

"What flowers do you want on the coffin? The usual or something different. Anyone know who in the RAF you speak to about them attending a deceased comrades funeral."

The RAF Benevolent Association.  My late FiL was ex RAF, a merlin engine fitter in 111 Squadron in WW2 and stayed on post-war with a commission.  A young pilot from 111 attended his funeral.  Subsequently his ashes were dropped from the BBMF Lancaster somewhere in the Midlands.

SG1S1326.jpg

"There's always a coffin, even if its empty. Pall bearers have to have something to carry!"

A sad story from Dad's days with Combined Ops/Commando training in Scotland; a young officer stepped on a live mine.  At the funeral his wife wanted to see him in the coffin.  She had to be firmly dissuaded ("The lid is screwed down ma'am and we can't undo it now") as it contained one uniform button and a number of bricks to give it some weight.

Edited by petethemole
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Where does a wallow in the muddy hollow feature on the prize list?

I believe a member of the judiciary would call it a custodial sentence...

With no remission for good behaviour.

'Right lads:  Tea breaks over.  Heads down!'

• Funny 8

On 17/04/2021 at 15:53, Tony_S said:

I hope it was a reduced scale diagram. When I visited USS Texas the final cylinder of the triple expansion engine was enormous. 

The interesting thing about the Texas' engines is that they have two low pressure cylinders, with the high and intermediate pressure cylinders sandwiched in the middle. This is the (IRC) same design as those of the Olympic class ocean liners. This design is also used when you want a horizontal pumping engine that doesn't need a whopping great big condenser, or if you simply have too high a steam volume for a single low pressure cylinder. But this factor is often regulated by whether or not the final low pressure cylinder works on a vacuum,  for example a lot of Allis Chalmers triple expansion pumping engines have low pressure cylinders that work at approximately -2 psi, and those only have one LP cylinder.

Edited by Florence Locomotive Works
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

Evening all,

The first karting drive of that year was had yesterday, and went surprisingly well. I may be racing next weekend, or I may wait another week before starting that.

Yesterday the leaks on the engine were hopefully fixed. Dad has also found some suitable tubing for the water tank, now a base needs finding and cutting to size. Tomorrow I will be taking the pre ACT one of the three major exams one has in high school. That will last from about 8:00 until around 11:45, and after that, I'm done for the day. So hopefully I can steam test the engine again or something.

Douglas

Edited by Florence Locomotive Works
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Gold

Our next door neighbours are having a mancave/bolt hole built at the bottom of their garden.

It's quite a bit larger than we (and they) expected. at 10 x 6 (metres)

However in one of my many conversations we have on the part of our driveway which is shared, I dropped into the conversation the question of being allowed to put up one of my railways inside the mighty structure on occasions 'for testing purposes' explaining the problems we have when 'testing' during the colder months.

Railway squatting rights have been achieved, before the place is even built, so an excellent result there!

• Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 3