Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

But you would you really have been trying to eat an LDC that was older than you are?

(a)  How does it look?

(b) How does it sniff?

(c)  Does it pass a taste test......

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Canal Digger said:

err for the uninitiated LDC = ?

It's something they're all on. I believe its effects include hallucinations of certain classes of locomotive that it's best not to mention. 

Better not to know, all round.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 5

5 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

It's something they're all on. I believe its effects include hallucinations of certain classes of locomotive that it's best not to mention. 

I believe it has been recently reclassified as a Class A substance 

• Agree 3
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

It stands for Lemon Drizzle Cake and is well known for it's calming powers whilst being consumed, and later as a powerful aphrodisiac.  Unfortunately unless consumption is strictly controlled it can lead to hallucinogenic episodes where truth is somewhat distorted by fantasy.  A typical example being that there are certain railways which are superior to the GWR (Which we all know to be totally without substance).  As one would appreciate LDC is highly addictive and those that get hooked on it's seductive powers eventually succumb to the delights of Welsh Cakes and Bara Brith.  

Of course such addiction leads to loss of taste, and eventually the victim is happy just to get some Crusty Rolls as a means of sustenance.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 10

5 minutes ago, coastalview said:

I really am not sure by what force of nature these stay on the track

Faith?

The 2nd loco driver has faith in his brakes.

The locals (& chickens) seam to have faith that they won't get run over as well

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

2 minutes ago, Canal Digger said:

Faith?

The 2nd loco driver has faith in his brakes.

The locals (& chickens) seam to have faith that they won't get run over as well

That pair of chickens near the end really were playing "chicken".

• Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

I quite agree, they actually believe that engines should be green rather than red and that they look bettervwith copper rings round their chimneys, presumably  to ward off evil spirits. However  my thoughts may be bady distorted due to an ansence of eccles cakes.

Jamie

• Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

I've just got back from the doctor who has diagnosed advanced cake eating disorder.

The sudden withdrawal of all cakes could have catastrophic consequences for my weight, so I've been put on a  strict diet of fruit scones and Madeira cake until I can get my addiction back under control.  (I wonder if I could wangle some cherries into the Madeira Cake to  perk it up a  little?)

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Gold

I have been worried about getting the vertical dimensions spot on for the cassettes where they connect to the scenic boards.

The cassettes have an MDF base and ply sides.  The running surfaces are length of Peco 143 fb track.

The blindingly obvious struck me last night!

Instead of messing around with varying thicknesses of base materiel, foam tops and ply inserts, why not go simple?

Make all the boards dimensionally identical, then put the track on the scenic section on strips of MDF on which the track can be secured. 

This will mimic the height of the cassettes and should make for a smooth transit.

the strips of MDF can be given  tapered shoulders which will neatly bring the ballast down into a cess

There will be a slight weight increase in the boards, having done away with the closed cell foam tops, but the resulting structures will be solid and sturdy which counts for a lot with a portable set up.

I have plenty of scrap ply so the original premise of building the railway from recycled materiel still holds true.

The foam will have to wait until Aberflyarff (Low Level) is born.

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Don't forget the mdf strip on the scenic board will be stuck down, the cassettes won't be, so there is a potential for height discrepancy.

A possible solution would be to slightly raise the mdf on the baseboard with a layer of cork, which is then chamfered to a ramp where the cassette will fit. A plate on top of the fixed mdf will ensure the height is not exceeded.

cassette.jpg.c5f15598638d24738bb72a36e2ab4efb.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

Don't forget the mdf strip on the scenic board will be stuck down, the cassettes won't be, so there is a potential for height discrepancy.

A possible solution would be to slightly raise the mdf on the baseboard with a layer of cork, which is then chamfered to a ramp where the cassette will fit. A plate on top of the fixed mdf will ensure the height is not exceeded.

cassette.jpg.c5f15598638d24738bb72a36e2ab4efb.jpg

Thanks for that Stu, I was working on the principle that the plug in sockets that interconnect the cassettes and link then to the scenic boards would sort out any misalignment.

A combination of my plan and yours may be beneficial.

I have a habit of over engineering solutions and spending much time making up small prototypes to see if the principle works in practice.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

2 hours ago, coastalview said:

LDC?  Class A? :nono:

Class E.

= Essential

2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

It stands for Lemon Drizzle Cake and is well known for it's calming powers whilst being consumed, and later as a powerful aphrodisiac.  Unfortunately unless consumption is strictly controlled it can lead to hallucinogenic episodes where truth is somewhat distorted by fantasy.  A typical example being that there are certain railways which are superior to the GWR (Which we all know to be totally without substance). 

Hippo's been sniffin' the Evostick again, haven't you?

• Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, coastalview said:

For reference, the following are Class A and possession is strictly controlled:

2117115275_34EMREasternMidlandRailwayliveryclassA4-4-0rebuildscaled.jpg.405618ed7931a0b9215d48d8919cd5c4.jpg181713010_LNWRClassA.jpg.fbae2b101f68a294a742e58fdcdfd1c4.jpg395252306_NERClassA.gif.df89cfcd96e3dc72e4a12b0eca2cf71b.gif1690888618_NSRClassA2-4-2TNo_52.jpg.42040fe7623943bb0881496ec5cf07de.jpg277380064_LBSCRClassA.jpg.b797cf18424841d85cae27c28da93f98.jpg1502121890_HBRClassA.jpg.22d2d2824f7767b874a356839ca4f46f.jpg

There are at least three others...

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Maybe  this was the A class that LDC causes them to lust after.

unnamed.gif.d813176790638be21329c17bd2c9c323.gif

Or even one of these, though Dave H will have to sit down before viewing

582126180401i51khy5793875389929.jpg.5f499061ba1720378d3aff986e73e452.jpg

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 5
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

It needed up be decided that the engine should be kept as a display model for the foreseeable future, which I can’t say I’m displeased about.

However, I did manage another test steaming of the Weeden yesterday, this time with much less water cascading down the stove. 

Douglas

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

14 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

But you would you really have been trying to eat an LDC that was older than you are?

I would imagine that in Bear's vicinity the chances of LDC reaching a greater age than the average Mayfly are about zilch.

Dave

Edited by Dave Hunt
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Or even one of these, though Dave H will have to sit down before viewing

582126180401i51khy5793875389929.jpg.5f499061ba1720378d3aff986e73e452.jpg

Jamie

I'll sit down automatically as the sight of Norfolk & Western superpower like this makes me weak at the knees. 

Imagine how much LDC one of these babies could deliver PB!

Dave

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

I would imagine that in Bear's vicinity the chances of LDC reaching a greater age than the average Mayfly are about zilch.

Dave

:D

7 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

I'll sit down automatically as the sight of Norfolk & Western superpower like this makes me weak at the knees. 

Dave

About a week's supply, at a guess.  A lot less if Hippo's are visiting.

3 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Never enough....

Such wise words from a head so young.  You'll go far, young Douglas.....

• Like 9
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Dave

I think that the full quote from David P Morgan about N&W articulateds was along these lines, "The A a high born lady followed by the Y6b with no figure control."

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 7
  • Funny 3