Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

I have been to pecorama twice, once as a child and then about 13 years ago with the eldest. I even have a photo of swmbo on a swing there.

The day before we went we had the day in Dawlish playing on the beach whilst watching trains of course.  I remember paying silly money for chips from a chippy and they were crinkle cut like supermarket frozen chips

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

I have been to pecorama twice, once as a child and then about 13 years ago with the eldest. ...snip...

I once saw a picture of it. :biggrin_mini:

• Like 3
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium

When we moved into a previous house I discovered to my horror that the electric cooker feed had been taken off a lighting circuit and the fuse replaced by piece of fence wire or similar. The fuse box casing was charred by the connection and the fact that the house was still standing and wasn't a pile of ash seemed something of a miracle.

Dave

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Gold

16 mm Today just dropped into letterbox.

Always a good read I started flicking through the pages, to cherry pick what I'd read first.

I've only got as far as the obituaries:  Therein are the names of five members, all of whom I knew well.

NHN Neil probably knows most, if not all of them as well.

I've got a sudden urge to set up my test track and run a live steamer...

• Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

16 mm Today just dropped into letterbox.

Always a good read I started flicking through the pages, to cherry pick what I'd read first.

I've only got as far as the obituaries:  Therein are the names of five members, all of whom I knew well.

NHN Neil probably knows most, if not all of them as well.

I've got a sudden urge to set up my test track and run a live steamer...

As long as your own entry isn't in you're OK.

Jamie

• Like 1
  • Agree 9

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

I did once get the PA working at a wedding with a piece of aluminium foil as a fuse.

Jamie

Huh. I got Paul's Ferrari moving again with the foil from Deb's fag packet!

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium

When I started working for the council I was in the rents department. After one eviction it was found that both gas and electricity meters (in the same cabinet) had been by-passed. The electricity with a piece of lightening conductor and the gas with a piece of garden hose.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

I remember once of somebody who had connected up to a lighting column for electricity. It wasn't until the men in blue raided the place that the alternative energy supply was twig. Goodness knows what the electricity bill must have been for it to have gone unnoticed.

• Like 6
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, coastalview said:

t is a rather nice part of the world

When we last went we didn’t see any of the railway attractions but did see a lot of allegedly interesting rocks.

• Like 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Winslow Boy said:

I remember once of somebody who had connected up to a lighting column for electricity. It wasn't until the men in blue raided the place that the alternative energy supply was twig. Goodness knows what the electricity bill must have been for it to have gone unnoticed.

In the '60s in a street near Finsbury Park station there was a house with a neat strip of fresh tarmac across the footway between it and the lamp post in the street.

• Funny 12

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, petethemole said:

In the '60s in a street near Finsbury Park station there was a house with a neat strip of fresh tarmac across the footway between it and the lamp post in the street.

That's very public spirited, running the street light from your domestic supply!

• Funny 13

5 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

When I started working for the council I was in the rents department. After one eviction it was found that both gas and electricity meters (in the same cabinet) had been by-passed. The electricity with a piece of lightening conductor and the gas with a piece of garden hose.

That reminded me of my acquaintance (I wrote of him here a few months ago - he became a Chelsea pensioner) who by-passed his coin-in-the-slot electricity meter if it stopped before the landlady could empty it using a length of flex with a plug on each end.  He wasn't picky about which end he plugged in first.

• Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Adam88 said:

That reminded me of my acquaintance (I wrote of him here a few months ago - he became a Chelsea pensioner) who by-passed his coin-in-the-slot electricity meter if it stopped before the landlady could empty it using a length of flex with a plug on each end.  He wasn't picky about which end he plugged in first.

A friend of mine ran a spur from the fusebox in his workshop to his pillar drill - the spur had a 13A plug on the end - the pillar drill flex had a socket on the end....

• Funny 9

8 minutes ago, polybear said:

A friend of mine ran a spur from the fusebox in his workshop to his pillar drill - the spur had a 13A plug on the end - the pillar drill flex had a socket on the end....

Quite shocking, really quite shocking.

• Agree 4
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, polybear said:

We don't need a 'Groan' button, but a 'Dear God Noooo!' button.

• Like 1
  • Agree 9

• RMweb Gold

I've heard stories of pre-pay meter collectors finding very few 50ps in the box, but those that were there were wet and the bottom of the box was rusty.

Turned out 50p shaped ice 'cubes' had been used, made from imprints in plastercine.

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Funny 10

A few years ago there was a small garden centre Wakefield way that had taken its electric supply from lamp posts and jump leads. The electric people had been because they wernnt using electricity. They were told they were using a generator. They asked to see the genny it wasnt running.

• Like 4
  • Funny 4

I used to be a Service Engineer for a Juke Box/ Fruit M/c / Pool Table etc company. One day I had a call to HMS Royal Arthur (the RN PO Training School near Corsham), the "lads" had decided to have a party using the Juke Box, so wheeled it from the bar to the other end of the NAFFI building. Apart from dislodging a few records, they had found two 3-core mains cables coming from the back, chopped them & wired them into them same plug. BANG! One of those 'mains cables' was the cable to the behind-the-bar volume control (ie L & R with a common return, also record reject) and 3-core was a cost effective cable for that purpose.  They had fried the amplifiers by applying 240v onto the transistors!

Same company sold (instead of just hiring-out) a pool table to a pub. Come delivery day the slate bed could not be found, a reputable company would have said sorry and postponed, not this lot, they got a piece of 1/2 inch chipboard, cut it to size & shape, covered it with the correct green cloth and told the delivery team not to stop for a pint after setting it up.    

• Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

When Silverlink Trains took over the TOC estate, they decided to invest in the services of a chap who had been  Southern Region Energy Manager. He toured the stations, and found some interesting arrangements. At Camden Road the local fruit-machine etc arcade was getting all its power from the station! The chap very quickly paid for himself by saving money like that!

• Like 8