Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

When Aditi has been away for a while it was either field trips or staying with her Mum so she is usually so pleased to be home that any minor faults are not even noticed. While she was away at her Mum’s a couple of years ago I fell down the stairs and bruised my rear end so instead of me going over to to Enfield for the day Aditi brought her Mum here. She didn’t even notice I had replaced the 40” TV in the lounge with a 55” TV. The old one in a spare bedroom was what made her notice. 

So I take it the fall down the stairs was some sort of attention seeking exercise then. Nil points.

• Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

...snip... We do have one significant piece in our garage, a enormous and very heavy carpenters bench he carved from a solid tree trunk it appears. Fantastic thing. ...snip...

Douglas

Pictures, please!

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

At least the UK has won Eurovision, neither France or Fraggle Rock have.

Jamie

Not allowed in, weren't ever in the EU.  Back Door Slam were OK, but I suppose our finest export singers were the BeeGees.  Christine Collister has a fine voice too - her parents are friends.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Not allowed in, weren't ever in the EU.  

EU membership doesn't have anything to do with it. It's run by the European Broadcasting Union, whose membership is geographically diverse and by no means limited to Europe. Are any of your local broadcasters members of that organisation?

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Not allowed in, weren't ever in the EU.  Back Door Slam were OK, but I suppose our finest export singers were the BeeGees.  Christine Collister has a fine voice too - her parents are friends.

Is Collister a common Manx name?  My late Mum's father had good friends in the IoM (both my grandparents are buried in the cemetery overlooking the TT start line) with that name.  I think their son was head of the Manx Post Office for a while.

Edited by Northmoor
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

I cant even manage the wife going into town without criticism when she comes back

What's par for the course at Ponte then.

Jamie

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

A busy day again.

Attingham was visited and we took enough books for their second hand stall to warrant taking the 4 wheel  trolley in order to get the books from car park to the store area.  The walk around the park then followed.  The river was up and was very spectacular as it went over the weir.  for those of a white water kaytaking bent, the water going over the weir and then having to negotiate a narrowed section between two bridges was throwing up a multitude of 'stoppers' one behind the other.  They looked like quite large waves trying to come back up river against the natural flow.

Definitely not the place to be if you fell in.

The afternoon saw more work on the new fruit cages and the lawn got a much needed cut:  It's recycling tomorrow, so a well worth while activity to fill up the green bins.

The bed lathe was repaired.  On close examination it was the one that broke last time, so now it's probably more PVA than timber.  Still if it lasts another couple of years, I will be well pleased.

Morgan, Charlotte and Luna called by borrow our barbeque as theirs has given up the ghost. Tea was drunk and a Rocky road cake was produced:  It was also consumed.  Welsh cakes were also on offer.

Our evening meal was sausages with baked potato and salady bits.  Winter coleslaw, tomatoes and home grown cucumber to be exact.

My main tasking tomorrow is to find a load of dried blueberries so I can make a blueberry fruit loaf:  Think of it as a very large blueberry scone.

Georgie has been tempting us again:

Lemon cake pops.

image.png.5c0be19d97f4bde532580bc9ba589b1b.png

Since the rest of the family will be visiting for the first time in quite a while next week, Nyda is going to get Georgie to make us a special cake.

For those who do read Hazel Edwards, they will know that a hippo's favourite is special cake!

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Northmoor said:

Is Collister a common Manx name?  My late Mum's father had good friends in the IoM (both my grandparents are buried in the cemetery overlooking the TT start line) with that name.  I think their son was head of the Manx Post Office for a while.

Yes, Collister and Callister are common names here, but not as common as Christian -- my Mum's maiden name.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

EU membership doesn't have anything to do with it. It's run by the European Broadcasting Union, whose membership is geographically diverse and by no means limited to Europe. Are any of your local broadcasters members of that organisation?

No idea, TBH.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

In 1979 we were living in a quarter at RAF Wildenrath and the house next door had a rather beautiful honeysuckle growing up the back wall. One day a couple of German workers from the housing warden's department turned up while the neighbours were out and hacked it down. When Kim (Mrs. Neighbour) got home she went totally apesh!t and marched off  'to have a word with' the warden. Now Kim at her finest could have reduced the Wehrmacht to quivering wrecks, never mind a mere housing warden, and from that day on until we left Germany her house was the best maintained in NATO with every job that needed doing done in record time.

Kim later became PA to the CEO of the concern that built the second Severn crossing and rumour had it that the lack of industrial unrest on the project was due to the fact that none of the union reps or any of the management wanted to upset her. Her and her hubby are still great friends of ours - I'd hate to be an enemy.

Dave 

• Like 13
  • Funny 1

2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

A busy day again.

Attingham was visited and we took enough books for their second hand stall to warrant taking the 4 wheel  trolley in order to get the books from car park to the store area.  The walk around the park then followed.  The river was up and was very spectacular as it went over the weir.  for those of a white water kaytaking bent, the water going over the weir and then having to negotiate a narrowed section between two bridges was throwing up a multitude of 'stoppers' one behind the other.  They looked like quite large waves trying to come back up river against the natural flow.

The afternoon saw more work on the new fruit cages and the lawn got a much needed cut:  It's recycling tomorrow, so a well worth while activity to fill up the green bins.

The bed lathe was repaired.  On close examination it was the one that broke last time, so now it's probably more PVA than timber.  Still if it lasts another couple of years, I will be well pleased.

Morgan, Charlotte and Luna called by borrow our barbeque as theirs has given up the ghost. Tea was drunk and a Rocky road cake was produced:  It was also consumed.  Welsh cakes were also on offer.

Our evening meal was sausages with baked potato and salady bits.  Winter coleslaw, tomatoes and home grown cucumber to be exact.

My main tasking tomorrow is to find a load of dried blueberries so I can make a blueberry fruit loaf:  Think of it as a very large blueberry scone.

Lemon cake pops.

Since the rest of the family will be visiting for the first time in quite a while next week, Nyda is going to get Georgie to make us a special cake.

For those who do read Hazel Edwards, they will know that a hippo's favourite is special cake!

Memo to self  - must keep out of second hand bookshop on next visit.

Any thoughts on the little tramway in the shop? 

I can’t find any information about it.

Stuart

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

A busy day again.

Lemon cake pops.

Stuart

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Stuart said:

Stuart

I've not been in the shop for some time, but I thought the shop had once been a part of the estates workshop and was the site of a rather large circular saw.  The tramway was used to feed the saw. 

• Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

I did think it a bit bit odd that Israel was involved but was never interested enough to find out why. Wasn't it Israel that once fielded a woman with a beard?

Dave

• Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

I did think it a bit bit odd that Israel was involved but was never interested enough to find out why. Wasn't it Israel that once fielded a woman with a beard?

No, you're thinking of the MCC:

image.png.0d7a31498459b885000f941301148daf.png

• Like 1
  • Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I have this day been fingerprinted. Four fingers of the right hand, then four of the left, which took a lot longer, probably because my arm was at an awkward angle, followed by the two thumbs together. As a direct result, I should receive, within a few weeks, my Carte de Séjour, entitling me to stay in France for up to 10 years. Five years after the Referendum, I can at last feel secure. 

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 9
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Morning all,

School got out yesterday, but I have already made plans for today.

In about 45 min I go to get my first jab, the phiser one. Afterwards I’ll scrounge some food for myself, and set about thoroughly cleaning my bedroom and modeling area, which are in the same room. Gents, don’t ever hacksaw large quantities of brass plate in your room.

Douglas

• Like 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

14 minutes ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Morning all,

School got out yesterday, but I have already made plans for today.

In about 45 min I go to get my first jab, the phiser one. Afterwards I’ll scrounge some food for myself, and set about thoroughly cleaning my bedroom and modeling area, which are in the same room. Gents, don’t ever hacksaw large quantities of brass plate in your room.

Douglas

I couldnt get away with cutting brass in the house 

• Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

I have this day been fingerprinted. Four fingers of the right hand, then four of the left, which took a lot longer, probably because my arm was at an awkward angle, followed by the two thumbs together. As a direct result, I should receive, within a few weeks, my Carte de Séjour, entitling me to stay in France for up to 10 years. Five years after the Referendum, I can at last feel secure. 

Glad you've got it sorted Ian. I've actually used mine to prove my ID.  We just need to get a driving licence for Beth now. It's stuck in the system. I did suggest that she gets a speeding ticket like I did to get things moving.

5 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

I couldnt get away with cutting brass in the house 

I have to do such tthi gs in the shed but they are tolerated. Her denture has two teeth hel in by araldite and brass rod and her previous pair of glasses had a new hinge made from brass bar held on by 2 14BA and 1 12 BA bolt.

Jamie

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

I've actually used mine to prove my ID. 

My nephew has recently transferred his German driving licence and car registration to Swiss. He said the process looked quite daunting but in fact it was very straightforward. It was the reverse for Matthew when he had to register in The Netherlands. Everyone said how easy it was but it was very complicated, well it was for him.  The town hall kept moving his appointment so it was over a month after he arrived and his bank froze his temporary account until he had a resident number. This of course affected his mobile phone account and so on….

• Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Yes, Dana International (not Dana who was once the Irish entry in the 1970s) and they won.

Israel has to get involved in Eurovision and European football because in the latter case, if it played in the Middle East qualification group for World Cups, it would have to play against countries which deny either that it exists as a country, or that it has a right to.

There was an interesting situation in a recent World Cup when Iran, Saudi Arabia and Israel were all playing.  I think the latter pair played a match but there were serious considerations of whether an Iran vs Israel game could go ahead.  Iran's players could have been considered traitors by some in their home country if they had taken part.

• Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Dave

Dana International. (as mentioned above by Northmoor)

Australia also enter the ESC and what their connection with Europe is is anyone's guess.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3