Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

We also had a pop drenching situation at home a couple of years ago. It was a bottle of Tesco mango crush we brought it home and left it in the fridge for a couple of hours. The Mrs got it out and opened it it exploded out everywhere ceiling floor us the kids and even the doggy

• Friendly/supportive 8

47 minutes ago, polybear said:

Bear came within seconds (literally) of getting hydraulic oil at high pressure (something like 3000psi) straight into my mush from something like 30" away.  I had an inkling that all was not well, despite my buddy saying "don't worry, don't worry - that's alright...".  When Ray said don't worry, the smart thing to do was worry....

Made a mess I can tell you, as it unloaded the entire contents of the hydraulic accumulator in a fine mist about 6ft diameter.

And at that sort of pressure it wouldnt stop when it hit your skin. Nasty!

• Agree 7

• RMweb Premium

Many moons ago (when Bear was a very little Cub) I went down the "Offy" with a friend for a can of fizz each.  He bought a can of Tizer that went in his coat pocket; we then ran all the way home.  His elder sister was going out in her car (a 2-door Vauxhall Viva) and we went too - no idea where though.  When we got back my mate & I got out - he was in the back so had to bend to get out.  The can fell out of his pocket and landed on the seat belt mounting bracket bolted to the floor, getting punctured in the process.  Result?  A very nice spray - and to add to the fun the can slowly rotated to ensure pretty much every surface was coated in Tizer.  Big Sis was less than happy....

• Funny 12
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

I was once coming back from Cyprus in an F4 when the front seater in my No. 2 had a can of some sort of fizzy drink that he dropped on the cockpit floor. He retrieved it by turning the aitctaft upside down whereupon it bounced off the canopy and he managed to catch it. So far so good. Then came his big mistake, he opened it. After bouncing around the can was quite lively and its contents erupted all over everything, which cost him a lot in fines paid to the ground crew lads who cleaned up the mess.

Dave

Edited by Dave Hunt
  • Like 4
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, polybear said:

Bear came within seconds (literally) of getting hydraulic oil at high pressure (something like 3000psi) straight into my mush from something like 30" away.  I had an inkling that all was not well, despite my buddy saying "don't worry, don't worry - that's alright...".  When Ray said don't worry, the smart thing to do was worry....

Made a mess I can tell you, as it unloaded the entire contents of the hydraulic accumulator in a fine mist about 6ft diameter.

There was a USAF crew chief at Ramstein in the 70s who looked for a leak in a 3,000 psi hydraulic system on a Phantom that had just started up by, quite unbelievably, running his hand over the suspected pipe. The point of leakage was soon identified when two of his fingers were sliced off.

Dave

• Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Gold

The tanks on my air rifles are usually charged to 200 bar (some can be higher, but 200 is a round number that is easily remembered).  That's a tad over 2900psi.

The main tank which the guns are charged from is charged to 300bar, which is over 4300 psi.

Yet some people quibble about having to have the main tank inspected and certified every three years!

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

There was a USAF crew chief at Ramstein in the 70s who looked for a leak in a 3,000 psi hydraulic system on a Phantom that had just started up by, quite unbelievably, running his hand over the suspected pipe. The point of leakage was soon identified when two of his fingers were sliced off.

Dave

:O

Bear did have a close one.......

:scared:

(Andy Y - we need a "poo'd my pants" button)

7 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

The tanks on my air rifles are usually charged to 200 bar (some can be higher, but 200 is a round number that is easily remembered).  That's a tad over 2900psi.

The main tank which the guns are charged from is charged to 300bar, which is over 4300 psi.

Yet some people quibble about having to have the main tank inspected and certified every three years!

Bear was thinking just the other day about the distinct lack of Air Compressor inspection and certification as the rather large tank on my compressor was pressurising for yet another time since it's manufacture (1980's/early 90's?)

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, polybear said:

:O

Bear did have a close one.......

:scared:

(Andy Y - we need a "poo'd my pants" button)

Bear was thinking just the other day about the distinct lack of Air Compressor inspection and certification as the rather large tank on my compressor was pressurising for yet another time since it's manufacture (1980's/early 90's?)

I'm in the same boat.

If I was running a business and using the compressor, I'd have to get its tank tested and certified, but as a home user the regulations do not apply.  Plus there would have to common sense applied as like miniature loco boilers, those below a certain capacity would probably end up being exempted from compulsory testing. 

I drain the tank every 12 months, and use an inspection camera to look at the inside.  It's still looking good inside after over 25 years.  The only absolute certain way would be an ultrasonic test to look for invisible cracks.

Of course, the government must cotton on eventually to the huge, huge risk as nearly every other day we read about compressor tanks exploding at a mere whim, destroying complete houses or shopping precincts etc.

On a more serious note, trying to police compressor certification in a domestic environment would be nigh on impossible.  

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

On a more serious note, trying to police compressor certification in a domestic environment would be nigh on impossible. 

A bit like PAT testing then, no-one has their home equipment cables tested, but it's mandatory in commercial premises.

As an aside, I asked for a quote to add a couple of extra power sockets in my son's room.  Apparently the house now has to have a fuse box with a built in RCD, before they'll even touch any other cabling. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Pardon my complete ignorance, but I take it the compressor I use for my airbrush isn't in the same category when it comes to potential disaster? It's a good many years old and I've never had it inspected. Painting models causes me enough angst as it is without worrying about the bl**dy compressor exploding.

Dave

• Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold

I forgot to mention that there will be  a partial solar eclipse today starting at about 1008 (according to the DE).

Of course knowing this, the Telfland microclimate has ensured that we have a blanket of cloud over Shropshire this morning.

Stu's dilemma about sockets is typical of the over zealous approach various industries have adopted:  Basically they want to turn a small job into a bigger one.  

Then they wonder why so many people do their own work so it is not recorded, nor in some cases is safe.

Sorry Dave, I thought you'd pick up on my sarcasm about the national compressor explosion crisis.  With the way the national gutter press act these days, a compressor tank going pop would be front pages news, but in reality it doesn't happen.  A compressor tank  for an airbrush is probably pressed to a maximum of 40 psi before the release valve will vent the tank. 

A box has just arrived from China containing the new router and various components:  I need to go and play with it!

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Indeed, Richard, I did pick up on the sarcasm in your post and my reply attempted to match it but failed dismally. As my old English teacher would probably have put it, "Must try harder." :yes:

Mind you, with my luck when it comes to painting I wouldn't be surprised of I did have the first recorded case of a workshop being wrecked by an exploding airbrush compressor.

Dave

• Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I have now inspected the trim router from China.

I suspect that someone is breaking into the Makita factory on a Friday evening and running off 'extra' machines.

Unusually, it also came with an instruction manual!

All I need to do is change the 2 pin plug for a UK 3 pin, although I do have  an adaptor for the short term.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

Pardon my complete ignorance, but I take it the compressor I use for my airbrush isn't in the same category when it comes to potential disaster?

Misread that as hairbrush...

• Funny 11

My first year at Uni i lived in Halls they were old the plug sockets were old round pin. Easy enough to fix by changing the normal square pin pug to round pin the uni were selling them so you could get hold of them. The number of people who couldn't change a plug was unreal i earned a few beer tokens providing a plug change service. 2 quid a pop was the charge.

I do mostly my own electrical work i was taught by my Grandad as well as being an iron founder and master engineer he was an electrician in the Navy during the war

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

He doesn't need one of those anymore!

Oooh, that was below the belt.

Mind you, as a sign in the barbers I used to go to in Horncastle read, "God created a few perfect heads. The rest he covered in hair." Guess how much hair the barber had?

Dave

• Funny 7

• RMweb Premium

This proved to be eye-opening, albeit an extreme example:

And this one at about the ten minute mark shows the area around the tank drain hole:

Bear thinks he'll be doing a Hippo before too much longer (= sometime this year...hopefully....) and taking a look-see via an endoscope into the tank.  I'm not into scrapping things without good reason, but being stood next to it inside a precast concrete panel shed if it went pop wouldn't be funny either.  It may be that keeping the gubbins (motor, pump etc) and simply replacing the tank would be a good idea if necessary.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold

That first tank was in shocking condition both externally and internally.

It had probably never been drained of water in it's lifetime.

Some people have no clue as to how to look after tools and equipment.

Water, steel and air is not a good combination.

The steel dive tanks we use for air reservoirs for shooting PCP air guns are filled with 'dry' air via a filtration system on the compressor.

A growing number are are now using carbon fibre tanks which only need testing every 5 years, but  are time limited and once they reach 15 years old they have to be scrapped.  At £325 a pop, they are not cheap!

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 3

10 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

A bit like PAT testing then, no-one has their home equipment cables tested, but it's mandatory in commercial premises.

As an aside, I asked for a quote to add a couple of extra power sockets in my son's room.  Apparently the house now has to have a fuse box with a built in RCD, before they'll even touch any other cabling. 

My own equipment is PAT tested - by me!  Bill

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

When we had the kitchen refitted last year, Wickes had menu pricing with a fixed price for each job and wanted several hundred pounds for replacing the consumer unit which had to be to updated to the latest regulations. As we did not have any RCD protection, I had already bought a new consumer unit when I just happened to find a Homebase that was closing and had stock at half price. A local electrician I know installed the new unit for pocket money and a few beers. The system was fully tested and certified which meant that I had all the necessary paperwork to prove the system was safe at the time of installation which would be needed if we ever come to sell up and move on.

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Mike Bellamy said:

The system was fully tested and certified which meant that I had all the necessary paperwork to prove the system was safe at the time of installation which would be needed if we ever come to sell up and move on.

I received a certificate from the electrician who fitted new lights onto an existing spur into the conservatory.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Oooh, that was below the belt.

Mind you, as a sign in the barbers I used to go to in Horncastle read, "God created a few perfect heads. The rest he covered in hair." Guess how much hair the barber had?

Dave

But do they give you a discount?

12 hours ago, bbishop said:

My own equipment is PAT tested - by me!  Bill

Tautology at it's best.

6 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I received a certificate from the electrician who fitted new lights onto an existing spur into the conservatory.

I'm so very glad that someone's  finally got round to certifying you Richard though using an ele trician rather than a trick cyclist  is obviously a Telfland thing, does he do chairs as well as a sideline. 

Jamie

• Like 1
  • Funny 9