Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

My brother was based at Kinloss he was a medical assistant.

He left the Raf to join the police but ended up working for Bupa booking locum drs for hospitals. He was accepted for Lincolnshire police but before he could start training he was called up for Iraq part 2. He ended up at Scampton to replace those sent overseas he was released then he was able to join the police 

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Afternoon all,

I got my second jab today, and so far there have been no bad side affects, but I think this is because I took some Advil right after. Lunch was again had with the grandmother today, and is was quite good, although the air conditioning in the restaurant outdid itself!

I have been told that the airfield I observed from the back of my dads former employers office outside of Stamford is the abandoned former WWII RAF base. 

In other news my B12 has begun the process of leaving the state of Florida, and I eagerly await its arrival. I'm not sure what to do about its layout though, as I have realized that its really to small for even one of the smallest 4-6-0s to run on British metals. Suggestions/help wanted, more can be found here.

Douglas

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

In other news my B12 has begun the process of leaving the state of Florida, and I eagerly await its arrival. I'm not sure what to do about its layout though, as I have realized that its really to small for even one of the smallest 4-6-0s to run on British metals. Suggestions/help wanted, more can be found here.

See Danemouth for further inspiration,

Or go back to Wales and model one of the many proposed termini meant to connect from the Welsh coast for the Irish sea traffic. 

Much easier to generate stuff for a railway that other people (me) like.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

Them's funny people on that Fraggle Rock...

Creg-ny-Baa

Creg-ny-Baa (rock of the cow) [kreg no bæ:] is situated between the 35th Milestone and 36th Milestone on the primary A18 road and the road junction with the secondary B12 `Creg-ny-Baa Back-Road` in the parish of Onchan in the Isle of Man. The area is dominated by the Keppel Hotel or Creg-ny-Baa Public House. 

There are many more strang names, places and people on Fraggle Rock, Stu!  Of course only visitors call it by its full name, to us it is simply 'The Creg'.  

Dave, I have an LP with the Murray Walker commentary and soundtrack of that race!....Somewhere.....

• Like 9
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

I did know a chap called Scruff Oliver but he was a Lightning and F4 pilot in the 70s so unless he changed over to rotary wing later on it can't be the same bloke. When was the one you knew at Brawdy?

The Scruff Oliver I knew was famous for the time he was flying a Lightning and working with one of the radar stations that Q kept operational. The controller was a female and when she said, "Be advised Firebird two you are entering my dark area, " replied, "Don't worry dear, I'll be gentle."

Dave   

I left primary school in 1983 (I was the year above his daughter) but don't know if he was on the SAR squadron, just that they delivered him to school one day in the early 80s.  

A couple of years later he was running his own company (Welsh Airways?) giving pleasure flights and charters I think, I had a pleasure flight with him once in 1985 or '86, just a quick lap of Pembrokeshire. 

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

You are right that I should have added Sleaford Tech (as it is disparagingly known in the RAF)

Thanks Dave - I hadn't appreciated that there was an alternative pilot entry process.

I had a visit to Cranwell when the University was asked to accredit RAF training to give Weapons Systems Operators a Foundation Degree in Aviation Studies. For the benefit of those who want to know, these were mostly the NCOs in the back of Nimrods (and whatever the replacement was) operating radar, hunting subs with sonar, loadmasters for freight aircraft and winch operators on helicopters. Again I was the note taker and report writer and our academic staff asked a lot of questions and read loads of manuals - I recall the first page of one said 'Identify On / Off Switch and turn to On Position' - which was more like primary school level rather than university degree level - however after a few pages I'm sure it baffled all our staff who had to pretend they understood it all !!

Those on the Rotary pathway did some work at Cranwell before transferring to Shawbury and there were some linguists who were only able to undertake part of the university programme as the rest of their work was top secret and we weren't given any access to their training - but we assumed they would become fluent in Russian, Chinese and Arabic. For me the Loadmaster role was the easiest to understand - complicated maths without a computer just in case you are on a runway in the middle of nowhere and need to know where to place the heavy stuff in the back of a Hercules so that it would be able to get of the ground before running into the jungle.

After a few years I understand the contract went  to another provider.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

I left primary school in 1983 (I was the year above his daughter) but don't know if he was on the SAR squadron, just that they delivered him to school one day in the early 80s.  

A couple of years later he was running his own company (Welsh Airways?) giving pleasure flights and charters I think, I had a pleasure flight with him once in 1985 or '86, just a quick lap of Pembrokeshire. 

I think that the last time I met Scruff was at a friend's wedding in the late 70s when he was flying F4s out of, I think, Wattisham (but I'm not certain about that) and I don't recall hearing anything about him after that so I suppose it could be the same chap. It seems unlikely that two people would have the same nickname I suppose.

Dave

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

There are many more strang names, places and people on Fraggle Rock, Stu!  Of course only visitors call it by its full name, to us it is simply 'The Creg'.  

Dave, I have an LP with the Murray Walker commentary and soundtrack of that race!....Somewhere.....

All this talk of the TT and Creg-na-baa is making me come over all nostalgic-like. It would be great to sit on the balcony there and watch the bikes thunder past again after a gap of over sixty years. Maybe someday......

Dave

Edited by Dave Hunt
Flamin' predictive text rubbish AGAIN!!
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

It would be great to sit on the balcony there and watch the bikes thunder past again after a gap of over sixty years. Maybe someday......

Dave

That's a hell of a lap time!:laugh_mini:

I was up early this morning on a fighting patrol.

A couple of pigeons who fancied their chances in the veg plot took early retirement.

• Like 3
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

North Hipposhire has a cool and cloudy prospect this morning. I'm shortly about to meet a lady from the OT team at Dad's house so that she can assess what is required to enable him to be discharged from the care home. Once she has reported there will be a team meeting to review his progress and decide what sort of initial care package will be needed. After all the decisions are implemented he will be sent home so I expect that within a week or two that will happen. After I get back it has been democratically decided by a vote of two (Jill's entitlement) to one (mine) that we 'need' to go to the garden centre at Bridgemere for a shopping extravaganza. I can hardly wait.....

Have a good weekend everyone.

Dave

• Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

North Hipposhire has a cool and cloudy prospect this morning. I'm shortly about to meet a lady from the OT team at Dad's house so that she can assess what is required to enable him to be discharged from the care home. Once she has reported there will be a team meeting to review his progress and decide what sort of initial care package will be needed. After all the decisions are implemented he will be sent home so I expect that within a week or two that will happen. After I get back it has been democratically decided by a vote of two (Jill's entitlement) to one (mine) that we 'need' to go to the garden centre at Bridgemere for a shopping extravaganza. I can hardly wait.....

Have a good weekend everyone.

Dave

Hope the OT's visit goes well Dave. They are usually very good and have access to all sorts of gadgets that make life easier. A couple that I have had dealings with were quite eady on the eye as well.

Jamie

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

After I get back it has been democratically decided by a vote of two (Jill's entitlement) to one (mine) that we 'need' to go to the garden centre at Bridgemere for a shopping extravaganza. I can hardly wait.....

Garden centres sell wooden sticks (wagon loads), hanging basket liners (will moorland grass), Christmas LED lights (er, LED lights), plus probably coffee & cake.

Prepare a long list of possible items and inform Jill of your willingness to attend as you have said list....

• Like 5
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

After I get back it has been democratically decided by a vote of two (Jill's entitlement) to one (mine) that we 'need' to go to the garden centre at Bridgemere for a shopping extravaganza. I can hardly wait.....

I feel your pain.

When I am volunteered for the Bridgemere run, I spend quite a bit of time in the attached Hobbycraft store or looking at the garden buildings (Although I really shouldn't covet another.

30 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Hope the OT's visit goes well Dave. They are usually very good and have access to all sorts of gadgets that make life easier. A couple that I have had dealings with were quite eady on the eye as well.

Are we talking about the OT or the gadgets?

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

56 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I feel your pain.

When I am volunteered for the Bridgemere run, I spend quite a bit of time in the attached Hobbycraft store or looking at the garden buildings (Although I really shouldn't covet another.

Both.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

I feel your pain.

Looking for another shed?

• Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

Garden centres sell wooden sticks (wagon loads)....

And the coffee shops often have freebie  wooden sticks for stirring tea etc. It's surprising just how many sticks may be needed to carry out such a task....:wink_mini:

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

Just got back from Bridgemere. Jill is popping round to see a friend. The workshop is but a few yards away. Byeeeeee.....

Dave

If he's off to the workshop that quickly, he must have been into Hobbycraft and had a rush of blood to the head.

• Like 6
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

If he's off to the workshop that quickly, he must have been into Hobbycraft and had a rush of blood to the head.

Is that whilst he remembers  what he's gone to the worksop to do.

Jamie

• Agree 1
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

My favourite part of military manuals was the last chapter "How to put beyond use to the enemy"

Especially the Escape and Evasion booklet.

That would be 'DON'T GET CAUGHT!'

Especially by me!

• Like 8

Friday dawned with no more shifts for a week

It has been therefore decreed that the previously postponed trip to a large Swedish home furnishing establishment is back on tomorrow (You may recall it cost me a fridge freezer to get out of it last time) and this will be followed by a visit to a large shopping emporium built upon the remains of Round Oak steeelworks. I really can't wait, honest

The only consolation is that sausages have been promised for breakfast to give us plenty of energy as we storm the gates of Hades

I did have a little win during the week though.

A package of modelling goodies was delivered and as no-one was in, they were left as per instructions in a safe place in the garden. This safe place is in full view of the kitchen window (a sort of hide in plain sight idea) and Mrs SM42 was home from work 3 hours before me.

I noted the package out of the window whilst performing the necessary home coming greeting and resolved to collect a little later.

5 minutes later I was walking through the kitchen, past Mrs SM42, package in hand and she never noticed.  The contents were swiftly amalgamated into existing modelling room mess stock, the box anonymised and it joined the others in the useful for sending stuff to distant relatives  pile.

Now either this was a win and I have managed bypass Mrs SM42's KGB training or she is playing it very cool and will casually use it against me around Christmas

Bouyed with this success, another parcel is on the way now . Wish me luck

.Andy

P.S  Yay!, tea and chocolate have  just arrived at the keyboard.

• Like 8
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2