Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

6 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

...whilst what you have just written is read over your shoulder...

Ahh but no.

I flipped to something less embarassing (pictures of panniers) as the dainty footsteps of Mrs SM42 came  crashing up the stairs. :imsohappy:

Andy

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 3

8 hours ago, polybear said:

And the coffee shops often have freebie  wooden sticks for stirring tea etc. It's surprising just how many sticks may be needed to carry out such a task....:wink_mini:

In my experience the only thing that coffee stirrers are no good for is stirring coffee

• Like 2
  • Agree 10
  • Funny 1

Afternoon all,

Today has unfortunately been fairly miserable, I seem to have not lucked out with minimal symptoms from the vaccine. I woke up feeling quiet tired with bad aches in my upper back, neck and arms, and am now getting some in my ankles (search me). I did however during a two hour period of feeling normal after taking an Advil get some modeling done, which consisted of cutting off half an embankment to make more room on the layout. It looks much better now. 

Hopefully tomorrow will be better as I have several things that need doing.

Douglas

• Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

If he's off to the workshop that quickly, he must have been into Hobbycraft and had a rush of blood to the head.

A rush of blood to the head certainly but not due to Hobbycraft. As I was being dragged round enjoying the shopping expedition my mind was elsewhere trying to solve a modelling problem and just as the end of the torture happy outing came I thought I had it sorted. Hence when the opportunity to try my idea arrived I couldn't wait to get into the workshop and put it in action. And when I did, guess what?...............

It didn't bl**dy work!

Ah, well, there's always tomorrow I guess.

5 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Is that whilst he remembers  what he's gone to the worksop to do.

Jamie

Send me a reminder tomorrow Jamie.

Dave

• Friendly/supportive 12

Well this has been a frenetic week, two days of gardening at Julies Dad's  and a significant amount of prep to get the trailer tent spruced up for collection by its new owner who turned up today at 0915 having driven up to West Hipposhire from near Brighton this morning.

We then did the handover and he was heading south soon after with said trailer tent after transferring an appropriate amount of pound notes.

He must of been totally cream crackered when he got home. But my bank account looks rather happier :mosking:

This retirement malarkey does seem rather busy I think I need a bit of a rest from it. :laugh_mini:

• Like 7
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Is that whilst he remembers  what he's gone to the workshop to do.

Jamie

Paws up all those who know why they're going upstairs at the bottom - but have forgotten once they're up the top? :yes:

And then remember again once they're at the bottom....:banghead:

• Like 1
  • Agree 12
  • Round of applause 1

1 hour ago, polybear said:

Paws up all those who know why they're going upstairs at the bottom - but have forgotten once they're up the top? :yes:

And then remember again once they're at the bottom....:banghead:

A very common thing.

Apparently we have a working memory that lasts around 1 minute or so and this can hold between 5 and 7 things in it.

Once overloaded by any item over capacity something gets dropped to make room.

Our brains do this so they don't  have to be the size of a planet.

It's one reason that verbal  safety messages should be repeated in numerous industries as this moves things into short term memory 

So go around reciting lists of things to do whilst upstairs, in town or wherever, out loud , like any same person would and you will be fine 

Andy

• Like 7
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, SM42 said:

So go around reciting lists of things to do whilst upstairs, in town or wherever, out loud , like any same person would and you will be fine 

Andy

Mine would sound like a rendition of the railway modeller's almanac

• Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

One of the problems with reciting lists is that if you are interrupted it can have disastrous consequences. A well-known cause of air accidents is that if you are following a checklist and are interrupted, your brain can be convinced that you have just carried out the last action you came to on the list when in fact you hadn't got round to it. Hence in multi-crew aircraft checklists are always challenge and response with one crew member reading out the action required and the other, who is actually carrying out the action, responding WHEN IT HAS BEEN DONE and not before. There have, unfortunately, been occasions when even that procedure hasn't worked because the challenge and response has become so automatic but various other safeguards have been introduced over the years.

Luckily, my short term memory is very good so such things don't bother me.

Luckily, my short term memory is .................

Dave

• Like 7
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 5

Today's list is

Take.Mrs SM42 shopping

Now if only I could do a bit of modelling as well I would need to finish off those 16tonners, 12t vans,  get that underframe detail on a Plate wagon, paint the 21tonners and finish off that brake van.

Now what was the first thing on the list?

Oh yes, 16 tonners 

Andy

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 4

27 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

One of the problems with reciting lists is that if you are interrupted it can have disastrous consequences. A well-known cause of air accidents is that if you are following a checklist and are interrupted, your brain can be convinced that you have just carried out the last action you came to on the list when in fact you hadn't got round to it. Hence in multi-crew aircraft checklists are always challenge and response with one crew member reading out the action required and the other, who is actually carrying out the action, responding WHEN IT HAS BEEN DONE and not before. There have, unfortunately, been occasions when even that procedure hasn't worked because the challenge and response has become so automatic but various other safeguards have been introduced over the years.

Luckily, my short term memory is .................

Dave

Quite

Anyone who has seen a Japanese train driver in action will have seen them point to and call out the aspect of any signal they approach as it reinforces the message.

Whether they act on it is another thing entirely, especially if they get interrupted, but there is a better chance of remembering afterwatds

And hopefully before the enquiry.

Andy

Edited by SM42
Clarity and mixed tenses
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Gold

My to do list today was:

1. Raid Tesco - done

2.Take No.1 son to footy training 

3. Lunch

4. Watch footy

5. Tidy modelling shelves in garage

Apparently items 4 and 5 have been replaced with - 4. prune tree. Not exactly sure why I'm involved, but it's probably due to a lack of management height and No.2 son being off site playing sailors.

Hmm.

• Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium

An exciting day for me too. I'm just about to go online to chair a meeting of the Midland Railway Society committee then, providing that has finished, at 1.30 attend the AGM of the S7 Group - both via Zoom. No doubt by the time that is finished there will be essential domestic duties to be under taken as Jill is visiting Dad this afternoon so I will be sole occupant of Hunt Towers for a while. The optimist in me says that I may be able to get down to the workshop for a spell but the realist is dubious about that.

Have a good weekend all.

Dave

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

My to do list today was:

1. Raid Tesco - done

2.Take No.1 son to footy training 

3. Lunch

4. Watch footy

5. Tidy modelling shelves in garage

Apparently items 4 and 5 have been replaced with - 4. prune tree. Not exactly sure why I'm involved, but it's probably due to a lack of management height and No.2 son being off site playing sailors.

Hmm.

Isn't life curious. 

Elderly neighbour across the road has some low firs edging his garden. 

Random garden maintenance man arrives and tries to knock on his door. We spot this and I go over to offer assistance.  Turns out it was an ad hoc, touting for business visit.  

Said gardener is now pruning our trees instead, so saving me doing it :) 

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Todays list at Chateau Guest.

1. Spend an hour talking to young Emily.  Done she was on good form

2. Muck out the hen hut.    Done by me and management.

3.  Change flat tyrecon Volvo.  Done 

4.  Check and clean pool filter at house we look after  done.

5.  Break for coffee and biscuits.   Ongoing

After lunch it was going to be shed time but that has now been replaced by sourcing new soil from compost heap 2.

Jamie

• Like 11
  • Round of applause 1

Well the raid on a nearby Swedish enclave is done, excursion to Round Oak steelworks called off due to full car park.

Why does a range of Swedish furniture come in many colours till the one item you want that fits the mission statement to a tee doesn't  come in the colour you want, whilst all the other items under the same name do? :banghead:

Anyhow an alternative was found luckily. 

Parcel arrived in full view of Mrs SM42 as we were departing base camp and was explained away as supplies.  

It was too easy.:unsure:

I have just opened the cardboard  box full of furniture we purchased armed with numerous flat pack constructing tools to find that it is already built. Bonus. 

Tea and strawberries (but not in the same cup) now being consumed.

There may be some model making later, but I understand Poland are playing later so I may be required to put flags out. 

To make the day,  cakes were purchased too. :danced:

Does it get any better?

Andy

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, SM42 said:

Does it get any better?

Andy

A couple of pints of Brains Dark and a large bag of decent cheese and onion crisps whilst watching a live steamer perambulating around the garden line  could be added to your original list.

• Like 8
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 1

56 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

A couple of pints of Brains Dark and a large bag of decent cheese and onion crisps whilst watching a live steamer perambulating around the garden line  could be added to your original list.

Now really HH a man of your calibre must surely realise that a point is reached in the 'to do list' where fantasy replaces reality.

I'm most disappointed with you. Go away an repeat after me the following ' I will not engage in wishful thinking and flights of fancy'. One hundred times please.

Edited by Winslow Boy
  • Like 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

Evening.  Mrs NHN in charge of my life today.

But it turned out OK as we met John (the other Mr Trackshack) and partner for lunch, via the MER, then went oop the mountain on the SMR and it wasn't foggy! Well a touch of mist, but not bad.  You can technically see our house in this shot.....1594429620_20210619_1407361.jpg.fec89063da3707db3269f88fe6b6d3d4.jpg

Then the ride back to Ramsey was on Car 16, my favourite on the MER.  Andrew Scarffe who is a prolific author on MER matters was driving and he had the old girl growling along at a fine rate.  Not bad at all. (That's not Andrew BTW, it's the Guard turning the trolley around).

2086981962_20210619_1626151.jpg.62566fb6b0fec907d5f025aec0a81574.jpg

• Like 12