Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium

It's probably an old story, but I am reminded of the man whose wife asked him to go to the shop for a bag of potatoes then added, "And if they've got any eggs, get six." When he got home and put six bags of potatoes on the table she asked why he'd bought so many. "Well," he said, "They did have eggs so I did as you told me."   

Dave

• Funny 10

• RMweb Premium

Also nearby (back where we used to live) is the Great War Flying Mseum

https://www.bramptonflightcentre.com/community/airport-community/great-war-flying-museum/

Kitchener used to be Berlin. It was renamed at some point in the 19teens.  We have towns named after many of the capitals of Europe.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

Evening all,

I was thankfully recovered yesterday, except my left arm does still hurt slightly. As today was Father’s Day, we had a nicer than usual dinner at home and one of dads friends came over for a lengthy chat which was very interesting, as I was permitted to attend. 

Some modeling was done yesterday in the form of ballasting a siding, and the B12 is arriving tomorrow. I also serviced dads Bachmann A4, as it had t been run in 15 years and needed oiling. 

Douglas

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

It would go right through him.....

:help:

Is it a bird?  Is it a plane? No - it's......

Superbear.......

:superman:

Faster than a speeding bullet sorry, arrow.....

• Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, BR60103 said:

Also nearby (back where we used to live) is the Great War Flying Mseum

https://www.bramptonflightcentre.com/community/airport-community/great-war-flying-museum/

Kitchener used to be Berlin. It was renamed at some point in the 19teens.  We have towns named after many of the capitals of Europe.

We have an almost complete WW1 airfield locally.

https://www.stowmaries.org.uk/

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

We were over at Julies Dad's yesterday for Father's Day and were talking about metrication.

I had never really thought about it before but the only non metric weight and measure I use is MPG.

I just can't get my head around litres per 100km. I'm quite happy with getting 60 litres of fuel but when talking fuel economy it has to be MPG.

• Like 2
  • Agree 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

We have an almost complete WW1 airfield locally.

https://www.stowmaries.org.uk/

I notice they invite careful pilots (usual PPR needed).

I've looked at the aerial photo of the site, and I'd suggest that the runways may be more suitable for smaller aircraft.

The longest runway being listed at 550m x 40m, so no real chance of our resident Flug Kapitain getting in there in a Hunter, Lightning, Phantom or Tornado:laugh_mini:

Dave proves me wrong!!

image.png.49ed01eee366a41e035268d6484c22f0.png

• Like 2
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, coastalview said:

We were over at Julies Dad's yesterday for Father's Day and were talking about metrication.

I had never really thought about it before but the only non metric weight and measure I use is MPG.

I just can't get my head around litres per 100km. I'm quite happy with getting 60 litres of fuel but when talking fuel economy it has to be MPG.

I can't think of any time I use metric over imperial...

Height (ft/in), distance(miles), speed(mph), baseboard sizes(ft) - all imperial.

Oh, apart from vehicle engine sizes, which are metric.

And OO track (16.5mm).

And 4mm scale.

And jack plugs.

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

..........so no real chance of our resident Flug Kapitain getting in there in a Hunter, Lightning, Phantom or Tornado:laugh_mini:

Dave proves me wrong!!

Doesn't count - you said in a Lightning etc.

Dave

• Funny 10

• RMweb Gold

Don't see why he couldn't land any one of those planes.

Fly horizontally until over the airfield, go into a vertical climb, throttle back until the aircraft is just about falling, then gently drop to the ground, levelling out at the last moment.

What's the problem ?

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Doesn't count - you said in a Lightning etc.

Dave

George Aird, the test pilot of the plane in the photo took off in a Lightning and landed in a greenhouse!

But seriously, knowing parachutes quite well, and looking at the deployment sequence, he was almost certainly under an only partially inflated canopy when he hit the greenhouse.  He was very lucky to walk away end up with a few broken bones and scratches.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Agree 10

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

Don't see why he couldn't land any one of those planes.

Fly horizontally until over the airfield, go into a vertical climb, throttle back until the aircraft is just about falling, then gently drop to the ground, levelling out at the last moment.

What's the problem ?

He'd have to be a member of Thunderbirds to do that.

• Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

George Aird, the test pilot of the plane in the photo took off in a Lightning and landed in a greenhouse!

But seriously, knowing parachutes quite well, and looking at the deployment sequence, he was almost certainly under an only partially inflated canopy when he hit the greenhouse.  He was very lucky to walk away end up with a few broken bones and scratches.

When George ejected he was actually well below the escape envelope of the seat and was more than just lucky to get away with it ( the standard formula for minimum escape altitude with the seats then in use was 10% of the rate of descent). There was a similar narrow escape by an RN Phantom pilot at Leuchars when he landed in a ditch and his feet were actually below the top of the ditch when the main chute opened.

Dave

• Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, coastalview said:

My car is easy to calculate MPG. It normally averages ten miles per litre. 1 gallon = 4.6 litres so 10 X 4.6 = 46 MPG.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

9 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

My car is easy to calculate MPG. It normally averages ten miles per litre. 1 gallon = 4.6 litres so 10 X 4.6 = 46 MPG.

Not quite right doesn't 1 gallon (UK) = 4.54 Litres ! were is the other 0.06 ? yes over a tank full it adds up . So your really getting a higher MPG

Edited by johnd
  • Like 5
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I notice they invite careful pilots (usual PPR needed).

I've looked at the aerial photo of the site, and I'd suggest that the runways may be more suitable for smaller aircraft.

The longest runway being listed at 550m x 40m, so no real chance of our resident Flug Kapitain getting in there in a Hunter, Lightning, Phantom or Tornado:laugh_mini:

Dave proves me wrong!!

They've landed a Hercules on an aircraft carrier so why not:jester:. Stow Maries is a remarkable survivor, the site was leased by the war ministry and after the war normally such sites were demolished but in this case the farmer requested that all the buildings remain and he used them for storage and animal shelters. During WW2 the Germans bombed the site thinking it was North Weald and the hangers (used for storing hay). Apart from a couple of other buildings the rest of the site remained unscathed. Hopefully I will be able to visit the site in the near future.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

They've landed a Hercules on an aircraft carrier so why not:jester:. Stow Maries is a remarkable survivor, the site was leased by the war ministry and after the war normally such sites were demolished but in this case the farmer requested that all the buildings remain and he used them for storage and animal shelters. During WW2 the Germans bombed the site thinking it was North Weald and the hangers (used for storing hay). Apart from a couple of other buildings the rest of the site remained unscathed. Hopefully I will be able to visit the site in the near future.

There's one west of York just north of the A64. I believe it's used by Askham Bryan agricultural  college. The hangar certainly survives

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

7 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

There's one west of York just north of the A64. I believe it's used by Askhm Bryan agricultural  college. The hangar certainly survives

Hmm that's interesting Jamie. Did my horticulture course there many moons ago and don't recall seeing anything like that. Was it on the main campus? 

I do recall that there was a 'satellite' site for the 'yokels' so it could have been there. Unfortunately given the passage of time I can't remember what is was called.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

There's one west of York just north of the A64. I believe it's used by Askhm Bryan agricultural  college. The hangar certainly survives

Stow Maries is the only completely unaltered WW1 airfield as it was abandoned in 1919 and not reinstated or rebuilt or demolished. There are several early hangers some dating from WW1 used for agriculture or industry often the only indication that there was ever an airfield there. The only other WW1 air related site that is intact is a Royal Navy airship station in Southern Ireland. That was abandoned 100 years ago when Ireland became an independent nation. The hangers being largely of wood  have disappeared but the shells of the buildings still survive but in a derelict state.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium

I There’s Rendcombe, a grass airfield near Cirencester, opened by the RFC in 1916. A few years ago there was a collection of WW1 replicas flying from there. They did have some oldtype hangars, which have been taken down. They seem to have dispersed and there’s a Wingwalking outfit operating there now.

Edited by Northroader
  • Informative/Useful 5