Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Neil is Jack Dibnah still working on the IoM, I thought at one time (maybe now) he was quite high up in the rebuilding maintenance facility.

No Douglas, he lives in Cumbria now and runs John Fowler Engineering, in Bouth, he's a pal from my Groudle Glen days.  Does a lot of work for the Ravenglass and Eskdale and has recently bought and restored a standard gauge  industrial saddletank for himself.

He served his time as an apprentice on the IoM steam railway, and then became a fitter and was largely responsible for Caledonia's overhaul.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Afternoon all,

Headway is being made with my no scenery layout. 

Apparently DCC concepts makes fully working scale point rodding, which looks very enticing. Here’s a link:

https://www.dccconcepts.com/product/working-rodding-set-including-all-parts/

And here’s a video:

There also just happen to be not one but two GEM lever frames for sale in the USA, so there’s a good incentive to get started. However I’m still lacking a track plan. I’m thinking of it being a double tracked terminus, so if anybody has one they want to share that would be much appreciated. Here’s a link to its topic.

Douglas

Minories by Cyril Freezer

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, pH said:

Cheating! It required intervention by a sentient being!

Not to mention the runniest Peanut Butter that Bear has ever seen.  Presumably the other gunk that went on was "Jelly"?  WTF is that, precisely?  Some sort of Jam maybe?  Strange......

Though a certain Bear did try Marmite and Strawberry Jam sarnies once, egged on by workmates.  Ok, surprisingly.

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

One might starve to death awaiting the completion of a food making task from those machines.

I've estimated that it would take 3.5 days to make Poly's staple LDC.

A time lag such as that is just not acceptable to cake addicts.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 7

At the moment Castell Danemouth is erecting defences to guard against marauding hippos.

Today SWMBO and I are celebrating our Ruby Wedding so she has presented me with a bottle of Penderyn.

I know that a certain mischievous pachiderm has a fondness for this particular tipple hence the implementation of defence measures to protect this precious spirit.

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Congratulations to the Clan Danemouth on their Ruby wedding anniversary today. Any cake and whisky is safe from me today as I am going to Attingham Park this afternoon with Nyda's Ranger unit. 

In other news, the triple decked herb rack has been delivered and is now populated. 

However the arrival of more boxes of 'stuff' means the garage remains full to the gunwhales. IMG-20210626-WA0007.jpg.b6d0b245eee1deb9dce39f8735706e10.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

One might starve to death awaiting the completion of a food making task from those machines.

I've estimated that it would take 3.5 days to make Poly's staple LDC.

A time lag such as that is just not acceptable to cake addicts.

It does introduce the possibility of a nocturnal production line, however.  LDC for brekkies, anyone?

• Like 4
  • Funny 4

2 hours ago, polybear said:

Presumably the other gunk that went on was "Jelly"?  WTF is that, precisely?  Some sort of Jam maybe?  Strange......

‘Jelly’ is jam with all the solid fruit strained out of it, so made only with the juice of the fruit. I remember helping as a kid to pick blackcurrants and use them in making blackcurrant jelly. It saved ‘topping and tailing’ the individual currants (a mind-bending exercise) if jam was to be made.

What was being made in that video was a PBJ (peanut butter and jelly) sandwich. The jelly is allegedly spread on top to stop the the peanut butter sticking to the roof of the mouth when eaten.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Danemouth said:

At the moment Castell Danemouth is erecting defences to guard against marauding hippos.

Today SWMBO and I are celebrating our Ruby Wedding so she has presented me with a bottle of Penderyn.

I know that a certain mischievous pachiderm has a fondness for this particular tipple hence the implementation of defence measures to protect this precious spirit.

Cheers,

Dave

Congratulations to Dave and the boss. Well done.

1 hour ago, pH said:

‘Jelly’ is jam with all the solid fruit strained out of it, so made only with the juice of the fruit. I remember helping as a kid to pick blackcurrants and use them in making blackcurrant jelly. It saved ‘topping and tailing’ the individual currants (a mind-bending exercise) if jam was to be made.

We made bramble jelly from blackberries then they were strained through a jelly bag suspended from a clothes horse with a broom handle through the tapes.  Good memories.

Jamie

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

I've just got back from Dad's house having spent the night there to make sure he's OK to manage on his own during the night and all seems OK.

First of all for this epistle, though, are congratulations to the Danemouths on 40 years of wedded bliss....

Secondly, good luck with the point rodding Douglas. The DCC cranks don't look scale but I guess that when viewed lifesize rather than enlarged in the video they will look OK and the satisfaction of seeing it all move properly should be worth it. I used GEM point levers many years ago and providing you put omega loops in the runs they do a good job.

Thirdly, although I haven't tried PB's Marmite and strawberry jam sarnies, I am a fan of mature cheddar cheese and strawberry jam butties - yum yum stuff, especially using home made jam with lots of strawberry pieces in it.

Lastly for now, my Mum used to make bramble jelly and when I was a kid we went blackberry picking for the raw materials on a couple of overgrown bomb sites (no shortage of those in Liverpool in the 50s) near Olive Mount cutting. The expeditions could take a long time, though, as when a train was heard we'd drop what we were doing and rush to the edge of the cutting to watch. And there were quite a lot of trains.....

Enjoy Sunday people. 

• Like 12
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Thirdly, although I haven't tried PB's Marmite and strawberry jam sarnies, I am a fan of mature cheddar cheese and strawberry jam butties - yum yum stuff, especially using home made jam with lots of strawberry pieces in it.

Must try that one tonight, though:

(a) the jam will be from a shop

(b) the bread may well be toasted (we'll see...)

(c) I might melt the cheese under the toaster....

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, polybear said:

Be careful, hot jam will burn your mouth.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, polybear said:

When I make cheese on toast I put a layer of chopped onion between the cheese and the toast. (And that can get hot too).

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

When I make cheese on toast I put a layer of chopped onion between the cheese and the toast. (And that can get hot too).

Bear usually uses Branston Pickle as the foundations, sometimes with Baked Beans as the second floor and occasionally a fried egg for the roof.  It has been known to snow salad cream (or Mayo if you're posh....)

• Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, polybear said:

Bear usually uses Branston Pickle as the foundations, sometimes with Baked Beans as the second floor and occasionally a fried egg for the roof.  It has been known to snow salad cream (or Mayo if you're posh....)

And your arteries are pleading for mercy.

• Like 4
  • Funny 4

21 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

No Douglas, he lives in Cumbria now and runs John Fowler Engineering, in Bouth, he's a pal from my Groudle Glen days.  Does a lot of work for the Ravenglass and Eskdale and has recently bought and restored a standard gauge  industrial saddletank for himself.

He served his time as an apprentice on the IoM steam railway, and then became a fitter and was largely responsible for Caledonia's overhaul.

The original John Fowler steam Pioneer died in Ackworth just down the road from here

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

The Attingham Park trip consisted of me trailing along at a discrete distance chatting to parents and helpers when required, and eating fresh scones when the mood took me (which was often).

According to the papers, eating on the move is good for you, so I obliged.  however, I also ate when stationary, just to be on the safe side.

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 26/06/2021 at 14:38, Florence Locomotive Works said:

My pre grouping modeler eyes read that as LCDR (London Chatham and Dover Railway), and I thought wow, I never new a railway known for its horrific carriage quality was a food group!

My ex-Navy eyes read your LCDR as Lieutenant Commander. :o

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 2