Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

8 minutes ago, bbishop said:

My first car!  Brown, so the rust didn't show!  Bill

I thought it was all rust instead of paint. 

See also just about every American built Ford between 1970-1980. 

• Like 7
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

..........so one has been ordered for delivery tomorrow.  By Yodel (not my choice!).  Sometime between 7:30 and 21:00.

Nothing like a nice tight delivery slot to screw up your day.....

2 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

I was thinking more of the Vauxhall Viva.

Jamie

A friend once smashed into the back of his bosses' shiny new Hillman Imp (IIRC); the body shop had to put a new rear wing(s) on it - they showed the old ones to the owner - they were rusting nicely on the inside cos' they weren't even painted.  He'd only had the car a matter of weeks.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium

The combination of McPhereson front suspension struts and unpainted insides of panels on some Fords could be catastrophic. A colleague of mine once had the whole top mounting of one of the front struts on a Mk. 2  Cortina break off the surrounding metal and punch up through the bonnet as the car lurched viciously to the left. Fortunately no-one was hurt but the car was a write-off.

But even the worst Fords couldn't compete with the Vauxhalls when it came to rust bucket status.

Dave

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

14 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

The combination of McPhereson front suspension struts and unpainted insides of panels on some Fords could be catastrophic. A colleague of mine once had the whole top mounting of one of the front struts on a Mk. 2  Cortina break off the surrounding metal and punch up through the bonnet as the car lurched viciously to the left. Fortunately no-one was hurt but the car was a write-off.

But even the worst Fords couldn't compete with the Vauxhalls when it came to rust bucket status.

Dave

My first car was an Austin 1100 the front almost fell of when someone ran a red light and hit me. The rear of both the front wings had rusted through and it had been held together with filler 

• Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, coastalview said:

My first car was an Austin 1100 the front almost fell of when someone ran a red light and hit me. The rear of both the front wings had rusted through and it had been held together with filler 

My first car was a Morris 1100. Bought for £50 in 74, rusted to bits, the rear floor was flapping in the breeeze when I scrapped it 8 months later for £8. Liked thd bench seat though.

Jamie

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

We had assorted Fords, Vauxhall’s and and a Volvo that all rusted  In the late 1990s we got a Renault. That didn’t rust. Since then I don’t think any of our cars have had corrosion problems. Our Ford Fiesta is a 2012 model and is fine.  Whatever they do to car bodies now seems to work. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

My first car was a Morris 1100. Bought for £50 in 74, rusted to bits, the rear floor was flapping in the breeeze when I scrapped it 8 months later for £8. Liked thd bench seat though.

Jamie

Back in the 80's a friend had a 2CV - the front wings were sewn on with stainless steel locking wire....:laugh:

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

We had assorted Fords, Vauxhall’s and and a Volvo that all rusted  In the late 1990s we got a Renault. That didn’t rust. Since then I don’t think any of our cars have had corrosion problems. Our Ford Fiesta is a 2012 model and is fine.  Whatever they do to car bodies now seems to work. 

I drive a 19y.o Freelander without any visible rust, even the odd dent hasn't broken through the paint.

I had a few Peugeots (309/306/406); for a while I would park my completely rust-free 12y.o 306 at work, next to a 10y.o Mercedes C-class which had holes in the wings.  Of course that may say nothing about MB and everything about people who wash the visible shiny bits of their cars to impress the neighbours but never clean them underneath.

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Northmoor said:

Of course that may say nothing about MB and everything about people who wash the visible shiny bits of their cars to impress the neighbours but never clean them underneath.

I believe my car is black under the spiderweb and Saharan sand weathering effect. . Interior is clean though. 

• Like 3
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold

I've owned two Fiats, as has my daughter.

Never had an issue with rust, I was impressed by their reliability and performance, although some years ago, this performance did get me a speeding ticket on the northbound A470, by the top reservoir on the climb up to Storey Arms.

• Like 8
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, polybear said:

A friend once smashed into the back of his bosses' shiny new Hillman Imp (IIRC); the body shop had to put a new rear wing(s) on it - they showed the old ones to the owner - they were rusting nicely on the inside cos' they weren't even painted.  He'd only had the car a matter of weeks.

Back in the early 70s, when the car registration year started on August 1st, we were on holiday at the back end of August, and came across someone with a "new" Moskvitch (remember those ?) which had the rust showing through the paintwork.

Adrian

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

If you drive over the Avon M5 bridge at Portishead, you can see acres of 'new' vehicles parked up. Similarly,  Google Earth views of old airfields show the same.

When you buy a 'new' car, how long has it been sat around in the open air? 

• Like 1
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Premium

The garage in Coningsby I used to take my cars to for servicing and repairs was run by three brothers and was a great place. One of their sons did an apprenticeship there and as part of it built a car using the front end of a Capri welded to the back of a Morris Minor, which stood in the old showroom that had been used when they also had a second hand car sales business. The hybrid was street legal and carried a valid registration but I sometimes wondered which of the donor vehicles it came from.

Dave

• Like 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Gold

I have been thinking of whether we ought to think of a daily word... Just for a bit of fun!

After much consideration (about 5 seconds)  today's word is Membrane!

So, good morning Membranes:laugh_mini:.

That's all.

• Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, coastalview said:

16 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

My father bought a 1300 sometime around1972-3. It was some while before he realised that it said Austin on the front and Morris on the back...

It also had the classic boot latch problem - journeys to Cumbria for family holidays would invariably feature a stop on the hard sholder of the M6 after the boot had spung open. I don't think we ever actually lost anything.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Are they related to MeNbranes and Womenbranes, two very different objects. 

As to  the 1100. I also used to go up to Cumbria in mine to volunteer on the Ratty, the first time it lost  part of the nearside sill at Worsley interchange going from the M62 to the M61.   Later on it got stolen but returned and  the Morris badge that operated the horn was removed. For the last month of it's existence I had a small screwdriver to short out to copper spring and the centre contact. That worked the horn.

Jamie

• Like 1
  • Funny 11