Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, SM42 said:

Luckily telephone numbers start with a 0  so it is only a matter of pence

Seems a good excuse:biggrin_mini2:

Andy

Would your wife believe you though.

Jamie

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, SM42 said:

Luckily telephone numbers start with a 0  so it is only a matter of pence

Seems a good excuse:biggrin_mini2:

Andy

Depends on how many and what numbers come after it.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Sadly my wife and the Y6B owner's wife are members of the same coven friends so the chances of getting away with anything are non-existent.

Dave 

I haven’t got a Y6B in. 1/48 scale but I do have a Baldwin 2 6 6 2. I occasionally contemplate an outdoor railway. I think the route negotiation would be more complicated than HS2 though. 

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 2

20 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Depends on how many and what numbers come after it.

There is an establishment nearby in a rural location that advertises their phone number with the village name followed by 123

£123 seems quite reasonable 

Andy

• Like 6
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Afternoon all,

Got sudden burst of courage and attempted to repair the mogul today. 

(is that a monumental sigh from a hippo I hear)

On the whole it went well, but the solder didn’t melt in the intended way so it was still leaking. 

here’s a video.

Douglas

Please, please invest in a tripod! That was so bouncy that I had to stop as I was getting a headache.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Sadly my wife and the Y6B owner's wife are members of the same coven friends so the chances of getting away with anything are non-existent.

Dave 

How about you part with  a large brown envelope and then get the Y6B sent to me.

A cooling off period then occurs (say a week) then I turn up at Hunt Towers with a box saying it's a load of bits I no longer need.

You disappear down to the workshop and at a suitable moment reveal what you made from that box of bits.

Was it your good self that wanted some of my recovered airgun pellets?  I found the bag yesterday and it's heavier than Jamie's tin of shot.

Edited by Happy Hippo
Question insert
  • Like 4
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 7

1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

How about you part with  a large brown envelope and then get the Y6B sent to me.

A cooling off period then occurs (say a week) then I turn up at Hunt Towers with a box saying it's a load of bits I no longer need.

You disappear down to the workshop and at a suitable moment reveal what you made from that box of bits.

Was it your good self that wanted some of my recovered airgun pellets?  I found the bag yesterday and it's heavier than Jamie's tin of shot.

I don't think that would be good thing HH as Lady Hunt would have ammunition to uses on Lord Hunt.

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

I don't think that would be good thing HH as Lady Hunt would have ammunition to uses on Lord Hunt.

And might secretly be a member of the same coven.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

And might secretly be a member of the same coven.

I believe that Dave has already said that she is. All we need is for Nyda to join and the male inhabitants of Hipposhire are all doomed.

Jamie

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I think we are forgetting that when retired military officers get together and plot, regardless of their service, there are various grades of cunning.

In this particular case we are not talking low cunning, but positively subterranean cunning.

• Funny 9

When i got my lump sum from my pension i did look on the Steam Workshop website at some of the 5inch gauge live steamers. Swmbo said a lot of unrepeatable words and threatened ultra violence which as a lass from Chequerfield is violent (Jamie will know the estate well) so that idea went on the back burner a back burner so far away it will keep emperor penguins warm. It was 15 grand.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

When i got my lump sum from my pension i did look on the Steam Workshop website at some of the 5inch gauge live steamers. Swmbo said a lot of unrepeatable words and threatened ultra violence which as a lass from Chequerfield is violent (Jamie will know the estate well) so that idea went on the back burner a back burner so far away it will keep emperor penguins warm. It was 15 grand.

I once entertained the idea of a 5" gauge live steam loco.

The downside is the continual maintenance you need to keep on top of it to ensure it runs (well).

An acquaintance of mine  had a 3.5" gauge Black 5.  He ran it quite a bit and seemed to change the  gland packing every quarter and the expansion link bearings all too frequently.

Then of course you have the boiler regulations that are a lot more stringent than the sub 3 bar litre variety as loved by Neil, Douglas, myself,  and many others. 

Taking one to bits to work on is not a 10 minute job.  You also need a big bench.

When I finally decided to build the 7.25" gauge loco,  steam was a non starter. It was petrol electric from the outset, although this may change to purely battery electric.... or both!

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

An acquaintance of mine  had a 3.5" gauge Black 5.  He ran it quite a bit and seemed to change the  gland packing every quarter and the expansion link bearings all too frequently.

The gland packing I don’t know much about, but with regards to the expansion link I think that problem could have been fixed by fitting the superior marine type of expansion link* to the engine, unless it already had this is already fitted. 

*The dye block is covered on both sides and runs in two pieces of channeled steel.

Douglas

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, simontaylor484 said:

Oh why oh why did you have to mention such a website before the watershed, such that an impressionable young Bear goes looking......

• Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 3

10 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

Please, please invest in a tripod! That was so bouncy that I had to stop as I was getting a headache.

Unfortunately a tripod won’t do much good with the type of filming I need to do (too bulky). What I really need is a auto stabilizing camera handle, but these are also know to make people sick. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

Yes I knew Chequerfield well.  One day I will tell the story of the gent who burgled a lingerie shop one Boxing Day  night.

Jamie

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

The gland packing I don’t know much about, but with regards to the expansion link I think that problem could have been fixed by fitting the superior marine type of expansion link* to the engine, unless it already had this is already fitted. 

*The dye block is covered on both sides and runs in two pieces of channeled steel.

Douglas

It was the die block pin itself that was wearing.

So he fitted a stepped pin and then sleeved the pin on both sides with brass bushes to act as a bearing surface. 

When these finally disintegrated it was time to get a new set fitted. 

The expansion links themselves had been case hardened, which probably accounted for the wear in the die block bearings, but he preferred to replace the die block sleeves rather than get enlargement of the expansion link slot which would have needed to be re machines then have to fit a larger die block pin.

I suspect if he'd not case hardened the expansion links then a well lubricated steel on brass system would have worked well. (And lasted a lot longer).

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

Did I miss the birthday party last week?

image.png.452dcd89c07c3314781dce1ad8c01877.png

Well spotted Stu.

I'm afraid it completely passed me by.

327 pages later Jamie and my little bit of a joke seems to have developed rather well.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Now you've gone and done it. We were keeping it quiet as didn't want to attract any attention.

We had a really good time. There was plenty of falling down water, pork pies, pasties- proper one's mind you and to round it of we had a rather large Lemon drizzle cake.

So sorry your invite got lost in the post. Looking forward to next year's shindig.

• Funny 10