Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Probably Oakington in Cambridgeshire with the bombing runs at  Holbeach and/or  Wainfleet.

Dave

Holbeach rings a bell. they were targeting an old and very rusty shipwreck but didn't drop anything on it as far as I could see. When I first went abroad nearly fifty years ago it was by car/ferry, Dover-Zeebrugge. The sea was so rough that the swell in the inner harbour at Dover was at least ten feet. We had opted for couchettes that were right in the bows of the ferry and in the heavy seas every time the ship hit a wave it was like being in an oil drum with someone hitting with a hammer. I couldn't sleep with that going on so I went up to the restaurant for a meal of egg and chips. Quite by chance I sat by the entrance and people coming into the restaurant seeing what I was eating turned a funny colour and rushed out.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Morning all,

Airsickness. Depends on how calm the boarding experience was, at least in a public plane. I’ve never had any problems with a private plane. I do occasionally get it in the car but it’s typically just a nasty sensation that lasts 10 minutes, and then goes away. 

On a ship I don’t remember ever having problems, one that springs to mind a was a ferry crossing from Falmouth MA to Martha’s Vineyard that didn’t have the calmest of seas. I was from memory perfectly fine. 

Douglas

Edited by Florence Locomotive Works
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Living close to the Pembrokeshire ferry ports in my youth, we did a few day trips to Rosslare and sometimes on to Waterford/Wexford.

It was amazing how often people came on board already anxious (or is the phrase, "tired and emotional"?) and asking the way to the bar, because they NEEDED a drink.  Even as a young teenager I realised that being in the stuffiest, smokiest part of the ship, probably with no view of the horizon, wasn't going to help with their seasickness.  I preferred to be up on deck if it wasn't raining, wrapped up against the cold if required and enjoying the sea air and the hum from the funnel.  Never got seasick once.

• Like 9
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

I have been to Hampshire and back and Plymouth and back since Sunday, am now feeling the after affects but have to 'work' instead - 1st meeting of the afternoon at 14:00...

I am lead to believe that Andy Peters has just about recovered his sanity.

• Like 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium

Bear used to have problems flying long-haul; on my first trip to Korea in 2000, and then two trips to Malaysia in the mid 2000's I was as sick as a dog once in the Arrivals Terminal (fortunately in the right place for doing so, (though the Korean jaunt was very, very close).  Though return trips to UK I was absolutely fine.  I could understand it if it was nerves going to a new country, but the second journey to Malaysia just a couple of years after the first was as bad, even though I knew what to expect (as was really looking forward to it).  All the usual pills etc. were of no help whatsoever.

So when I went back to Korea back in 2019 I wasn't looking forward to a repeat barfing experience; I consulted the GP who was equally baffled - she prescribed me some Prochlorperazine Tablets; I also tried wrist bands and ginger tablets for good measure.  Result?  No barfing....:yahoo: - and on two separate trips.  I didn't even feel rough either.  Happy Bear.

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

I dare you to come to the SWAG party next April...

Where and when?

I can be persuaded although I would probably have to bring my keeper who would insist on making a weekend of it.

Will there be cake and pasties?

• Funny 9

• RMweb Gold

There will be cake and pasties, most definitely. 

Sunday, April 24th, Taunton.

Keepers are accepted too.

Saturday is often spent on the WSR, but who knows what will be open next year...

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I have had the delights of circuits and bumps in the back of a Herc when on a Cadet camp at Lyneham there were a few barf especially when one of the loadmasters started eating veg soup from a sick bag.

When I went up to Kinloss with my brother when he first went there a Nimrod was doing circuit and bumps the rate it was going made me feel queasy and I was parked in the medical centre car park

• Like 6
  • Funny 1

Only weird motion sensation  I have had is sleeping on a narrow boat.

At around 2am  it's always around then, I'd become aware of the sensation  of the boat rolling to one side,  normally to port,  and not rolling  back the other way. 

A most odd sensation  that would wake me up and I would lie there for a few seconds trying to work out which way was up in the darkness and why I wasn't getting wet. 

Andy

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

Prochlorperazine Tablets - it's usually spelt 'Placebo' ;)

The NHS website doesn't suggest that - and I'd no reason to believe they were any more magical that various others I'd tried previously.  They seemed to do the trick, which is good enough for this Bear :biggrin_mini2:

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Happy Hippo said:

I thought Prochlorporazine was spelt Lemondrizzlecake

Just as an informative post, cakes at Taunton are brought/donated by the visiting members. So an LDC is eminently possible.

Should that be your persuasion. 

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Ol NHN was never seasick physically back in my seadog days, but the first couple of days away usually felt a bit queasy. (we did 4 month trips).  I was close though on the ferry here a couple of years ago, up forrard was a mistake,.  Also once flying, on a Saab twin turboprop job in New Zealand, which had an autopilot fault and was cycling a roll every few seconds - I think the crew thought it was funny, I nearly chucked.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

Prochlorperazine Tablets - it's usually spelt 'Placebo' ;)

I was prescribed it once as attempt to reduce nausea. It did work I suppose but only by producing severe vomiting. When I was a child I used to get motion sickness when we went on long journeys but not on the return.

Tony 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

Just as an informative post, cakes at Taunton are brought/donated by the visiting members. So an LDC is eminently possible.

Should that be your persuasion. 

PB and I are more concerned as to what happens to the left overs:  We do operate an emergency disposal service at very competitive rates.

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

PB and I are more concerned as to what happens to the left overs:  We do operate an emergency disposal service at very competitive rates.

That situation has not arisen. 

Ever.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I thought Prochlorporazine was spelt Lemondrizzlecake

Hmm.... I wonder if there's a LD "space" cake in Amsterdam......

(And no, even this Bear would keep his munchin' gear in neutral if there was)

7 hours ago, Tony_S said:

I was prescribed it once as attempt to reduce nausea. It did work I suppose but only by producing severe vomiting. When I was a child I used to get motion sickness when we went on long journeys but not on the return.

Tony 

I did "test" them a few days prior to the journey just to check for such side-effects, which would kinda defeat the point, really.  Perhaps a second dose the next day might've been ok, once your body had got used to the idea?  A brave test, though....

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Something has been bothering me for some time and now I know what it is...

If Polybear's location is the North Pole and his username is pronounced Poly (as in Roly)........

why is his avatar of a brown bear ?

image.png.cb4b8a79404ec80de1842362ccb9d904.png

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

Something has been bothering me for some time and now I know what it is...

If Polybear's location is the North Pole and his username is pronounced Poly (as in Roly)........

why is his avatar of a brown bear ?

image.png.cb4b8a79404ec80de1842362ccb9d904.png

Sunburn?

Dave

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 9