Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

So far it’s the best fuel I’ve found for the engine, I personally haven’t tried it.

That time may well come.  You obviously need supplies of the Eau de Vie that is available under the counter round here in the Cognac region.  However it does make very good cherry brandy and Sloe Gin.

Jamie

• Like 6

1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

That time may well come.  You obviously need supplies of the Eau de Vie that is available under the counter round here in the Cognac region.  However it does make very good cherry brandy and Sloe Gin.

Jamie

Nothing like a personal recommendation to increase sales. I'll have two bottles of each please Jamie. Oh is delivery included?

• Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Winslow Boy said:

Nothing like a personal recommendation to increase sales. I'll have two bottles of each please Jamie. Oh is delivery included?

Unfortunately  it doesn't  seem to keep very well. We doo keep sampling, purely for Quality Control purposes though.

Jamie

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

That time may well come.  You obviously need supplies of the Eau de Vie that is available under the counter round here in the Cognac region.....

Eau de Vie seems like a bit of a misnomer for something that could probably kill you of you drank it neat! Should it be renamed Eau de Mort?

Dave

• Like 4
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Dave Hunt said:

Eau de Vie seems like a bit of a misnomer for something that could probably kill you of you drank it neat! Should it be renamed Eau de Mort?

Dave

Even straight out of the still at 75& ABV it tastes pretty good in small quantities.

Jamie

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

As a friend of mine says, since fruit is good for you (five a day and all that) and Cognac is made from grapes, it stands to reason that drinking Cognac must be beneficial to your health. And the stronger the Cognac the better, surely?

Dave

• Agree 7
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

As a friend of mine says, since fruit is good for you (five a day and all that) and Cognac is made from grapes, it stands to reason that drinking Cognac must be beneficial to your health. And the stronger the Cognac the better, surely?

Dave

And then add cherries to one batch and sloes to another, gives you 4 of your 5 a day.

Jamie

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 3

3 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

And then add cherries to one batch and sloes to another, gives you 4 of your 5 a day.

Jamie

There is logic in that. I don't know where but it is there. You just need to find it.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

This morning I was put to task and ended up cleaning all the decking behind my daughter's house.

Then I was required to remove the muddy deposits from the bottom of their pool which the grandchildren had carefully placed the previous day. The irony of me, builder of countless muddy hollows being required to remove mud from something with so much potential.

I can see the attraction of being a pool boy though, as as soon as I had stripped down and climbed into the pool, all the lady neighbours started calling around.

But not one of them threw me any fruit!

• Funny 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I have a confession to make. Before starting to follow this thread I had never heard of LDC and had no idea of what it was,

As, at about 10:30pm this evening, I complete my 76th orbit of the sun I thought it's about time that I found out what this LDC stuff is and what it tastes like. Luckily on my weekly visit to my local Sainsbury's I found this box on the shelves which was soon removed to my shopping basket:

LDC-01.jpg.258b4f5836578cd4c36bf8ad731b661f.jpg

Seems to be a number of red warning notices on the box which, on this special day, I will ignore. It also says 16 slices but I think that will be reduced to 8 slices which means I've got enough to last me for a few days. I'm not greedy so think that's just about right. If any friends drop by there will be no sign of the LDC.

Only problem, should I have any left over by the weekend, is that my LDC is only 24 miles down the track from Headcorn ....... Will it be safe?

Keith

• Like 9
  • Round of applause 6

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, tetsudofan said:

I have a confession to make. Before starting to follow this thread I had never heard of LDC and had no idea of what it was,

As, at about 10:30pm this evening, I complete my 76th orbit of the sun I thought it's about time that I found out what this LDC stuff is and what it tastes like. Luckily on my weekly visit to my local Sainsbury's I found this box on the shelves which was soon removed to my shopping basket:

Seems to be a number of red warning notices on the box which, on this special day, I will ignore. It also says 16 slices but I think that will be reduced to 8 slices which means I've got enough to last me for a few days. I'm not greedy so think that's just about right. If any friends drop by there will be no sign of the LDC.

Only problem, should I have any left over by the weekend, is that my LDC is only 24 miles down the track from Headcorn ....... Will it be safe?

Keith

You'll be fine as I'm currently gorging on one of Georgie's Chocolate Logs. It is being savoured as  she is back to London shortly to start work again.

After that I will be on a short cake moratorium. (Well, until Monday)

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, tetsudofan said:

Keith

If they expect you to get 16 slices out of that they should give you a microscope.

Happy special day

Chris

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Best wishes, Keith - any nice new LGB for the day?

No new LGB yet Neil, am waiting for the new Sachsen VIIk 2-10-2T due at the end of the year.

Keith

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, chrisf said:

If they expect you to get 16 slices out of that they should give you a microscope.

Happy special day

Chris

A scanning electron 'scope to be exact! :biggrin_mini:

Anyway Keith, congratulations on 76 orbits.

Edited by J. S. Bach
To add a missing word.
  • Like 6

This morning, I joined a long, two-lane lineup to a level crossing. The stop lights were flashing, and the half-barriers were raising and falling, but no train was visible and the lineup was slowly moving forward. As I got closer, it was obvious there were problems with the crossing. However, three CNR police were directing traffic. Traffic on the far side of the crossing approaches from a right turn off a major road, so they were directing it to go straight ahead and find another route. On the side from which I was approaching, they were getting the two lanes to merge and slalom round the half-barriers. They were also allowing you, if you were turning right immediately after the crossing, to take your chances going under the barrier while it was raised!

This is one of two level crossings in that town. The other, I believe, is to replaced by a bridge. But the road arrangement around this one is a bit complicated. To be replaced, the crossing would have to be moved.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 5