Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

Evening all,

Work was very interesting today. As the usual customer service person was out with an injury my boss had to take over the shop for most of the day, meaning I was left to do some work. This involved taking the movement out of a high quality (in its day of 1920) American clock which was skipping an hour. This meant I had to adjust the rod that drops down into the count wheel. After doing this I ran the movement through a 24 hour chiming cycle with my hand. My boss came back and after some more testing he found it to still be skipping so he adjusted the spring tension on the rod, solving the problem. After that I recassed the movement and was put to work extracting the same type of movement from an American “gingerbread” clock, which my boss then made some adjustments to, and then I greased it. The rest of the day was spent observing. Most enjoyable. 

In other news I have decided that I will be producing a fairly thorough guide on repairing Bing and Bassett Lowke clockwork mechanisms, this will be in a (hopefully pinned) topic over in collectible/vintage. 

While on vacation up on the northwest I will be cycling part of the old Milwaukee Road mainline to (I think) Portland, on a cycle trail that includes several tresses and a 1.6 mile tunnel, which should be interesting. 

Re LDC. Will contact my various contacts on this side of the pond to ascertain whether or not it can obtained for test purposes. 

Douglas

• Like 6
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Evening all, ...snip... Re LDC. Will contact my various contacts on this side of the pond to ascertain whether or not it can obtained for test purposes.

Douglas

Mallwart carries a mini-LDC (@ $ 1.00, I believe) but it has a slightly different name. Anyway, it is quite tasty:

972192957_Lemoncake.JPG.533aafd66c547df25e4a905e872ee959.JPG

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Premium

A much cooler and breezier North Hipposhire this AM, which whilst somewhat welcoming means that the spectre of house cleaning has reared its ugly head. There's allus bl**dy summat as the Welsh say. However, since the workshop is probably the most equable place in Hunt Towers climate-wise, much of yesterday was spent there with the result that I managed to finish the water tank and tank house for my layout and will later be posting some pictures of it over on The Midland Railway Company.

Dave

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Today's mission is to get from Reading to Headcorn.

I am looking at a map trying to find a way that misses out a carpark called the M25.

Odiham, Guildford, A25 to Sevenoaks, A21 to Lamberhurst, A262 across to Sissinghurst, then to Headcorn. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Odiham, Guildford, A25 to Sevenoaks, A21 to Lamberhurst, A262 across to Sissinghurst, then to Headcorn. 

Living in M25 country, I'd suggest that route (in fact, almost any alternative) going to take longer than just taking the M25 and (maybe) being held up.  The Orbital gets an unfair reputation IMO.  Yes it has hold-ups, but I lost count of the times I drive round the M25 from J12 with almost no slowing down, then joined the M1 and stopped.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I am looking at a map trying to find a way that misses out a carpark called the M25.

[sucks air over teeth]

I wouldn't start from Reading...

• Funny 11

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

As @Northmoor said it would be better to use the M25. The worst of the traffic on the M25 is around the Dartford crossing and up to the M1. A lot will also depend on the time you are travelling and the day of the week.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

58 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I'd cadge a lift if I were you. Don't you know somebody who could lend you his lighter than air craft?

• Funny 8

• RMweb Gold

The only time I avoid the M25 is if the live traffic advice advises not using it. Otherwise for en route problems I have learned to trust the sat nav. Aditi has cousins who live in Uxbridge and I have given up driving through Central London or using the North Circular to get there or back. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Northmoor said:

Living in M25 country, I'd suggest that route (in fact, almost any alternative) going to take longer than just taking the M25 and (maybe) being held up.  The Orbital gets an unfair reputation IMO.  Yes it has hold-ups, but I lost count of the times I drive round the M25 from J12 with almost no slowing down, then joined the M1 and stopped.

Well the last time we did the M25 was 5 years ago, a Friday afternoon in October, the day having started with my brother's funeral in Derby. When we found the wake was hopelessly oversubscribed in small premises we cut and run up the M1. We found south of the M4 the M25 was glacial, and when we finally reached the Leatherhead turnoff everywhere was gridlocked. It improved when we finally got on to the A24, but was still slow-moving right through the emasculated (why? why?) Deceptive Bends and Mickleham Bypass. 

Richard wanted to avoid M25. My route would have taken him through pretty villages in Surrey and Kent, many of which begged for M25 to be built "Build the South Orbital Road" was the cry in the '60s. Before M25, the route via Odiham was the best option to get from home in Betchworth to the West Country. 

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

My No. 2 son lives in Leatherhead and we find when going to visit that the stretch of the M25 near Heathrow is the most likely to be snarled up.

We had a major traffic jam here last week due to roadworks. It took nearly five minutes to get through.......

Dave

• Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

When I last went to the exhibition at Bishops Stortford instead of going M25/M11 I went via A130/A1060. I saw a few familiar faces from this area and all had used the Motorways. They had all taken between ten minutes and half an hour longer than I did.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I wonder if Hippo is still on the M25...

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 7

Afternoon all,

Some excellent BBQ was had for lunch today, and this morning was spent packing for our early flight tomorrow. In about 30 minutes I’m off to the doctor for my yearly, whatever it’s called. 

Re the M25. Not worth the trouble. I remember getting stuck on it heading south. 

Douglas

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Afternoon all,

Some excellent BBQ ...snip...

Douglas

Those two words should NEVER be used together!! Especially in that order!

• Like 2
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1