Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Gold

Nothing is ever simple.

The shelving units have been assembled, one set of old shelves dismantled and the new shelves put into place.

Ideally I ought to treat the MDF shelf tops prior to loading them up, but space dictates otherwise.  In order to keep the shelves clean, I've been covering them with cardboard, and will unload the shelves and paint them as I am able to create more space as the demolition of old storage cupboards continues.

Having seen what I've got and what the capacity the new shelving has, the future looks promising, with quite a bit of clutter being disposed of and what is left being sensibly stored away and not left in heaps on every available flat surface.

I have been looking at storing a number of my tools using a large board on the wall and what are known as French cleats.  It's a racking type system but it enables tools to be stored in small racks and moved around as needed.

A work bench that is  sturdy enough of holding a 4"  engineer's vice has  to be found a home along one of the walls.

Plus, Nyda would like enough space for us to be able to put one of the cars to bed during the winter!  

That might be a wish too far.

• Like 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

16 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Nothing is ever simple.

The shelving units have been assembled, one set of old shelves dismantled and the new shelves put into place.

Ideally I ought to treat the MDF shelf tops prior to loading them up, but space dictates otherwise.  In order to keep the shelves clean, I've been covering them with cardboard, and will unload the shelves and paint them as I am able to create more space as the demolition of old storage cupboards continues.

Having seen what I've got and what the capacity the new shelving has, the future looks promising, with quite a bit of clutter being disposed of and what is left being sensibly stored away and not left in heaps on every available flat surface.

I have been looking at storing a number of my tools using a large board on the wall and what are known as French cleats.  It's a racking type system but it enables tools to be stored in small racks and moved around as needed.

A work bench that is  sturdy enough of holding a 4"  engineer's vice has  to be found a home along one of the walls.

Plus, Nyda would like enough space for us to be able to put one of the cars to bed during the winter!  

That might be a wish too far.

Perhaps Nyda is looking into a part exchange ? BMW to Smart? BMW to BMW aka Mini? BMW to C5.......

• Funny 9

• RMweb Premium

Problem with my garage is it was built in 1959, the same year that the 105E Ford Anglia, the Triumph Herald and of course the Mini were introduced. The problem today is that cars are far bigger and even a modern day 'mini' car would have trouble fitting into it.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Winslow Boy said:

Perhaps Nyda is looking into a part exchange ? BMW to Smart? BMW to BMW aka Mini? BMW to C5.......

Fortunately the Ibiza is good for a few years yet once I've sorted out the track rod ends and the rear shock absorbers.  The BMW will go before the end of the year and be replaced with another vehicle with the ability to shift things... mainly railways and shooting stuff.  Various vehicles have been considered and suggested.

But as you can imagine, there are some differences of opinion.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Is that a euphemism for, "Nyda hasn't decided what we're getting yet"?

Dave 

Edited by Dave Hunt
  • Agree 5
  • Funny 1

21 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Fortunately the Ibiza is good for a few years yet once I've sorted out the track rod ends and the rear shock absorbers.  The BMW will go before the end of the year and be replaced with another vehicle with the ability to shift things... mainly railways and shooting stuff.  Various vehicles have been considered and suggested.

Challenger tank?

I believe there's someone on here who might be able to point you in the right direction. No names, no packdrill but I believe he answers to Baz.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Is that a euphemism for, "Nyda hasn't decided what we're getting yet"?

Dave 

No, but I do need to consult her on the suitability of the vehicle in question because she has to drive it as well.

40 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Challenger tank?

I believe there's someone on here who might be able to point you in the right direction. No names, no packdrill but I believe he answers to Baz.

No need, got the T shirts for the CVRT range, Chieftain, Centurion, plus Ferret, Vixen and Saladin.

Personally I'd go for the Samson recovery vehicle.

I could make a fortune pulling the idiots and their cars out of ditches in the winter time.

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

58 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

No, but I do need to consult her on the suitability of the vehicle in question because she has to drive it as well.

No need, got the T shirts for the CVRT range, Chieftain, Centurion, plus Ferret, Vixen and Saladin.

Personally I'd go for the Samson recovery vehicle.

I could make a fortune pulling the idiots and their cars out of ditches in the winter time.

Ah yes there is that. But would it fit in garage I believe was the original question.

Wonder what the road tax would be? And how many AA batteries would it need. Got to be green nowadays and not just in terms of colour.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Winslow Boy said:

Ah yes there is that. But would it fit in garage I believe was the original question.

Wonder what the road tax would be? And how many AA batteries would it need. Got to be green nowadays and not just in terms of colour.

Historic and classic vehicle of over 40 years old, the last of the Samsons entered service in the late 70's so does not pay VED or require an MoT.  

Of course it would fit into the garage.

Whether there would be much of a garage left after you had parked inside is open to debate.

It would fit if the crane/winch A frame was lowered or removed and I replaced the current pair of twin doors with a wider single roller door:  However the cost of the long RSJ is eye watering which is why most double garages end up with pairs of doors rather than one big one.

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

How about a Chiefrain HH? You'd be able to ignore the Telfs driving like cockwombles and just push them out of the way. Could bring a whole new meaning to traffic jam. One of my abiding memories of being the air liaison officer with 3RTR in the early 70s in Germany is of cruising down an autobahn standing in the turret of a Chieftain and watching the heavy trucks treat us with a great deal of respect.

Dave

• Like 5
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

How about a Chiefrain HH? You'd be able to ignore the Telfs driving like cockwombles and just push them out of the way. Could bring a whole new meaning to traffic jam. One of my abiding memories of being the air liaison officer with 3RTR in the early 70s in Germany is of cruising down an autobahn standing in the turret of a Chieftain and watching the heavy trucks treat us with a great deal of respect.

Dave

For a fast jet pilot I would imagine seeing the world flash by at such speed  and at such a low level would have been like flying riding a very large snail.:laugh_mini:

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Dave

I recall there being a You Tube clip of a car having an altercation with a tank.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

Dave

I get similar respect for my landrover from cars, Bull bars, a toe ball both ends and rock sliders on an old battered landrover makes for much room.. Not so much from trucks though..

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Back in the late 80's we bought a Halti lead for our border collie, because he was quite strong when on a normal lead (the Halti attaches under the snout, so the dog can only pull from his neck, not his shoulders). They were quite new at the time.

As the straps went around his snout and head, it looked a little bit like a Hannibal Lecter mask.  Walking along a busy street had a similar effect - the crowds just parted out of our way :)

• Funny 13

• RMweb Premium

yes many thought Halti's  were muzzles, they work by closing the dog's mouth, if they pull so the have to slow down to get a good breath of air..

• Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

They sound very cruel but then not as cruel as a choke chain.

not at all, I don't remember our dog having trouble breathing, it just it stopped him using his strength to pull.  He just saw it as 'walkies time' :)

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

The garage now looks much worse than before I started.

Ruthlessness regarding the disposal of 'stuff that might be useful' has now taken hold.

Between the rain storms I've been cutting up my old timber stock, and sorting out all the treated timber so it can go down to the recycling centre for processing.

However, I am convinced that there is a small glimmer of light at the end of a very long tunnel.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

They sound very cruel but then not as cruel as a choke chain.

No not cruel, the halti is soft webbiing , soon as they realise it's holding their mouths closed, they can still breath through their noses. But like a human that doesn't allow for great effort. So they stop pulling..

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

The Rocket Site at Misson be Doncaster was an excellent source of ex Mod equipment to the public they were selling Cheiftan tanks at one point as well as ex army land rovers

It is called the rocket site because it was a base for bloodhound missiles used to protect Raf Finningley and Lindholme (before it became a prison)

I was once asked to play softball at Hatfield YOI I did say I'm not going near any lag who is tooled up with a bat. It was my Dad who asked me to play for Doncaster Estate Agents and it was a charity game against the screws. It was a good night 

• Like 8
  • Funny 1

The garage now looks much worse than before I started.

Ruthlessness regarding the disposal of 'stuff that might be useful' has now taken hold.

Between the rain storms I've been cutting up my old timber stock, and sorting out all the treated timber so it can go down to the recycling centre for processing.

However, I am convinced that there is a small glimmer of light at the end of a very long tunnel.

Wouldn't it just be easier to scrap the garage and store everything in the Centurion?

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 6