Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

12 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

If I won the lottery I wouldn't be moving very far. Just around the corner are some very nice chalet type houses with four bedrooms, two on the ground floor.

image.png.8bccc0fbfb000a07fc9bda24f023136e.png

If I won the lottery, which givern the fact that I don't play it due to moral issues is extremely unlikely, I'd just buy up the surrounding houses to my current abode, demolish them and landscape the area possibly with amenities ie tennis courts, bowling greens etc and charge people ten pence entry. The charge only being to make people appreciate them. About forty houses should do so say 100 million would be enough.

Edited by Winslow Boy
  • Like 5
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, petethemole said:

Formerly part of The Old Manor Hospital, Salisbury,  https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Main_entrance_of_OMH_about_1980.jpg

Slightly better condition than Odstock hospital (Now Salisbury District Hospital) was when I last visited in the late 1960's still using the below  buildings..image.png.1e13f954e50c6f97fe384dad8d1c9403.png

The pictures about 1942 when it was an American ww2 hospital.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

If I won the Euromillions or similar I'd get my mate Bob Meanley and the lads at Tyseley to make me a Kirtley 0-6-0 at 12 inches to the foot scale to run on the K&WVR. 

Dave

Edited by Dave Hunt
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

Apropos nothing in particular, but the idea of film sets brought this to mind, No.2 Son & I passed this building in Salisbury last weekend.

image.png.17e139d4f4e8abe25679e3d448ca3087.png

1 hour ago, petethemole said:

Formerly part of The Old Manor Hospital, Salisbury,  https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Main_entrance_of_OMH_about_1980.jpg

More on the buildings history.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Manor_Hospital,_Salisbury

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

Just back from the recycling centre:  I didn't even have to queue like some folk I know. 

The secret is to watch their live web cam and wait for a lull in cars going in.

Then it's a quick (street legal) sprint around the block to get in.

More trips are scheduled over the next week or so.

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, TheQ said:

Slightly better condition than Odstock hospital (Now Salisbury District Hospital) was when I last visited in the late 1960's still using the below  buildings..image.png.1e13f954e50c6f97fe384dad8d1c9403.png

The pictures about 1942 when it was an American ww2 hospital.

Odstock is still a bit like that round the back of the nice new bit. Think that all the Nissen huts have now gone (there were still some into the 2000s) but still a lot of WW2 era brick built buildings.

• Like 5

Morning all,

No, I’m not intending to build a little joe out of a clock and an oppressed combine, that seems a bit much even for me. However yesterday I cycled 15 miles over the former Milwaukee Road St. Paul pass. This goes from Montana to Idaho, and the line then continued on to Spokane and Tacoma. However the whole (formerly electrified even!) line over the mountains has been lifted and made into a cycle path.

You start off at the now abandoned foundation of Substation 120, and proceed into a 1.6 mile long tunnel, which except for the light on you bike is the darkest place on earth. After coming out of the extremely damp cold and wonderfully sooty smelling tunnel you come out on a clear stretch of the line on the side of a mountain. You then continue on this until you cross the first tressel. Unfortunately I don’t remember how many tunnels and tressels we crossed.

Here are some photos.

07ABECB7-32FA-4AAD-8515-8A6412FC2BDA.jpeg.406f90b7ecd5fa11f846341fbf3fe1d0.jpeg

Above is the entrance to the first tunnel, which is much taller than the entrance suggests, that’s dad and my sister Eleanor entering.

E2BDD623-8FEA-4408-A986-EB6CE0F6BBFB.jpeg.8e45d41656ad06aff55137b1170341a4.jpeg

Above is the west portal, you can see other riders emerging with their lights. 

9AA2FB76-D5B8-485F-9435-435F60B97061.jpeg.b606b742336dc10989a83571650c5ed9.jpeg

Above is one of the many tressels, which retained there wooden catenary. It’s about 175 feet off the forest floor, but you feel much shorter due to the 150 foot tall trees.

ADC44DB9-C56E-463F-B05E-AA922B11E0E8.jpeg.5d30e257be069fc685c5bdc2c7c6e39d.jpeg

Here’s another shot of a tressel.

A have a few other photos showing abandoned infrastructure which will go over on @jamie92208’s thread on American railroads. 

Getting back to little joes, I am looking at a Broad Limited Imports PRR P5a in Milwaukee livery, which although fictional seems to be the most affordable! If we get lucky perhaps the model shop will have one.

I can post more photos if wanted.

Douglas 

96E19AF3-3C7F-4DE0-8FCE-76551F47B5B1.jpeg

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Odstock is still a bit like that round the back of the nice new bit. Think that all the Nissen huts have now gone (there were still some into the 2000s) but still a lot of WW2 era brick built buildings.

Sounds a bit like Pinderfields in Wakefield. That started as the acute wing of Stanley Royd Psychiatric hospital. During WW1 it was expanded as a standalone hospital for war casualties with quite a few wooden huts.  Thesecwere still in use in the 1990's until the whole place was torn down in the early naughties and replaced by a PFI thing that my granchildren will probably still be paying for.  Meanwhile Stanley Royd closed and has become upmarket flats.

Jamie

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Morning all,

No, I’m not intending to build a little joe out of a clock and an oppressed combine, that seems a bit much even for me. However yesterday I cycled 15 miles over the former Milwaukee Road St. Paul pass. This goes from Montana to Idaho, and the line then continued on to Spokane and Tacoma. However the whole (formerly electrified even!) line over the mountains has been lifted and made into a cycle path.

You start off at the now abandoned foundation of Substation 120, and proceed into a 1.6 mile long tunnel, which except for the light on you bike is the darkest place on earth. After coming out of the extremely damp cold and wonderfully sooty smelling tunnel you come out on a clear stretch of the line on the side of a mountain. You then continue on this until you cross the first tressel. Unfortunately I don’t remember how many tunnels and tressels we crossed.

Here are some photos.

07ABECB7-32FA-4AAD-8515-8A6412FC2BDA.jpeg.406f90b7ecd5fa11f846341fbf3fe1d0.jpeg

Above is the entrance to the first tunnel, which is much taller than the entrance suggests, that’s dad and my sister Eleanor entering.

E2BDD623-8FEA-4408-A986-EB6CE0F6BBFB.jpeg.8e45d41656ad06aff55137b1170341a4.jpeg

Above is the west portal, you can see other riders emerging with their lights. 

9AA2FB76-D5B8-485F-9435-435F60B97061.jpeg.b606b742336dc10989a83571650c5ed9.jpeg

Above is one of the many tressels, which retained there wooden catenary. It’s about 175 feet off the forest floor, but you feel much shorter due to the 150 foot tall trees.

ADC44DB9-C56E-463F-B05E-AA922B11E0E8.jpeg.5d30e257be069fc685c5bdc2c7c6e39d.jpeg

Here’s another shot of a tressel.

A have a few other photos showing abandoned infrastructure which will go over on @jamie92208’s thread on American railroads. 

Getting back to little joes, I am looking at a Broad Limited Imports PRR P5a in Milwaukee livery, which although fictional seems to be the most affordable! If we get lucky perhaps the model shop will have one.

I can post more photos if wanted.

Douglas 

96E19AF3-3C7F-4DE0-8FCE-76551F47B5B1.jpeg

Great photos Douglas, I'm jealous and will have to get my books on the Milwaukee Road off the shelf. I'd love to ride that stretch on my trusty Ellis Briggs.

Jamie

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

I suppose that a liking for the Milwaukee Road wouldn't have anything to do with the initials MR would it Jamie?

Dave

Though the Colorado Midland was standatd gauge and had Maroon Pullmans. There is a Midland Avenuevin Glenwood Springs as viwers of my American Phot thread will discover.

Jamie

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

All will be revealed tomorrow…..

F1220286-7B36-4207-AD43-CBAC84181EA6.jpeg.b6d8bfc808e2995452eb2eabb3ae16be.jpeg

Douglas

Which Little Joe; Chicago, Milwaukee, St Paul, & Pacific or Chicago, South Sore & South Bend?

Edited by J. S. Bach
  • Like 3

At the same time Pinderfields was demolished the perfectly good Pontefract General Infirmary was flattened and replaced with a new "hospital" It is a shadow of its former self and more akin to a health centre

We bought a 3 storey townhouse to get a garage and a bit more space due to having to retire through ill health we are stuck and my knees are burgered.

• Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

The Brazilian one of course :rofl_mini:

No it’s the Milwaukee Road one.

I remembered the South American ones but did not remember if it was Argentina, Brazil or Chile. At least the "Little Joes" did go to their original intended buyer!! :biggrin_mini:

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

The Brazilian one of course :rofl_mini:

No it’s the Milwaukee Road one.

I hope that you've been saving your pocket money for a while to afford the wheelsets you'll need.

Dave

• Agree 3
  • Funny 2

32 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

I hope that you've been saving your pocket money for a while to afford the wheelsets you'll need.

Dave

1 minute ago, J. S. Bach said:

Northwest Shortline (NWSL) could probably help out.

I think there may be a misunderstanding, I’m not building a Little Joe at all. A good retirement project though.

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
56 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Dave

Not to mention parts scavenged from that harvester! :clapping:

• Like 2
  • Funny 3