Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

1 hour ago, J. S. Bach said:

I remembered the South American ones but did not remember if it was Argentina, Brazil or Chile. At least the "Little Joes" did go to their original intended buyer!! :biggrin_mini:

Am I missing something here? They were ordered by Soviet Railways and developed under the supervision of Russian railway representatives. Hence the nickname ‘Little Joe” after Joseph Stalin. None ever got to the USSR as the US State Department banned the sale before they were delivered. The Milwaukee ones were originally delivered with the controls labelled in Russian.

• Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, pH said:

Am I missing something here? They were ordered by Soviet Railways and developed under the supervision of Russian railway representatives. Hence the nickname ‘Little Joe” after Joseph Stalin. None ever got to the USSR as the US State Department banned the sale before they were delivered. The Milwaukee ones were originally delivered with the controls labelled in Russian.

Five were operated by The Companhia Paulista de Estradas de Ferro in Sao Paulo.

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

16 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

Five were operated by The Companhia Paulista de Estradas de Ferro in Sao Paulo.

Yes, but those were originally intended for the USSR as well. The Milwaukee Road could have had all 20 that were built but they dithered about buying, and when they did decide to buy, GE had already sold those 5 to Brazil and 3 to the South Shore Line.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Joe_(electric_locomotive)

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Was the Little Joe some form of electric pannier tank?

Because like the little GWR star, these locos seemed to get everywhere.

In other news, residents of the lane in which I live were subject to a power cut last night which lasted nearly four hours.

Not all the houses in the lane are on the same main circuit, so the galling part of the power cut was the street lighting came back on, then our neighbours on either side got their power back, but the Hippodrome remained shrouded in darkness. 

With no internet or TV, I was unable to send messages nor even catch up with the Limp Pigs, so I had to resort to finding a bottle of suitable beverage and drowning my sorrows.  This I continued to do long after the power had been restored.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Gold

What sort of task would the regauging he Little Joes have involved? The ones for Russia would have been 5 foot so I assume would have been altered for the US and whatever gauge they use in Brazil.

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

IIRC Brazil is 5 foot too?  Not too big a job to re-gauge inwards for standard though, just axles really on a job like that, plenty space in the US loading gauge!

Brazil is Irish gauge. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

When we went to Rugen there was a huge marshalling yard layed out with Russian gauge track. Rail wagons were unloaded from ships and loads then transferred to road and rail. For some reason the Red Army were not inclined to ship stuff across Poland to East Germany. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Tony_S said:

What sort of task would the regauging he Little Joes have involved? The ones for Russia would have been 5 foot so I assume would have been altered for the US and whatever gauge they use in Brazil.

8 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Brazil is Irish gauge. 

Brazil is 5' 6", the same as the Iberian Peninsula.  It would not be difficult as although in this case they are one-offs many components are standardised and companies such as GE and English Electric (5' 3" gauge 08's for Victoria Railways) design their products with different gauges in mind.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Was the Little Joe some form of electric pannier tank?

No, much better looking than that.

Having had an operation yesterday to remove a tumour from my proboscis and not got much sleep last night as a result, I'm still officially on the sick list this morning and am being looked after with solicitous care as well as being excused duties. Me, milk the situation for all it is worth? Perish the thought! The only downside is that the memsahib has decreed that ethyl alcohol is in the bad thing category so small libations of happy juice are verboten. 

So I wish you all good morning from my recumbent position on the sofa. Time for another muggocoffee methinks.

Dave

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

No, much better looking than that.

Having had an operation yesterday to remove a tumour from my proboscis and not got much sleep last night as a result, I'm still officially on the sick list this morning and am being looked after with solicitous care

May the Lords of Swindon look down on you with sympathy and shower you with their wellbeing.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

IIRC Brazil is 5 foot too?  Not too big a job to re-gauge inwards for standard though, just axles really on a job like that, plenty space in the US loading gauge!

Just saw a bit off the axles and take some of the shim washers out....

I'm wasted, I really am....

12 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

May the Lords of Swindon look down on you with sympathy and shower you with their well-being.

Talk about cr@pping on a Guy when he's down.....

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

May the Lords of Swindon look down on you with sympathy and shower you with their wellbeing.

I thought we wanted him to make a speedy recovery? An antidote to that is required:

955855098_4-4-0_Midland_Beatrice_1757compressed.jpg.ca1eadae40229d62cb65e793d4b75bed.jpg

• Like 9
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

I thought we wanted him to make a speedy recovery? An antidote to that is required:

955855098_4-4-0_Midland_Beatrice_1757compressed.jpg.ca1eadae40229d62cb65e793d4b75bed.jpg

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh....

Feeling better already.

Dave

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

RMWeb a bit slow this morning. But working, so I know that my internet connection and WiFi are good.

And yet, when I want to go onto other sites, my computer tells me that I am not connected. How can this be, and what do I need to do to sort it? Inconvenient not to be able to do e-mails.

• Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Joseph_Pestell said:

RMWeb a bit slow this morning. But working, so I know that my internet connection and WiFi are good.

And yet, when I want to go onto other sites, my computer tells me that I am not connected. How can this be, and what do I need to do to sort it? Inconvenient not to be able to do e-mails.

It's a feature of the latest upgrade. Once you're in, you're in, and there's no way out...

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, polybear said:

Just saw a bit off the axles and take some of the shim washers out....

I'm wasted, I really am....

What do you charge GE for your consultancy services PB? 

Dave

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 9

Well, the 'staycation' is over and we've returned from Vectis.

Walking the former trackbed from Wroxall to Shanklin in a thunderstorm reduced the six of us to the wettest I've ever been in my 65 years.

But the coastal path from Shanklin to Ventnor in glorious sunshine required a very slight diversion inland to pay homage at what must be the hobby's most iconic church.

Still nothing running on the 'Island Line' and the view taken from the 'rail replacement' bus at St John's Road is the closest I came to 'the new' stock.

However, despite another torrential downpour that flooded the road beneath the Havenstreet overbridge, the Isle of Wight Steam Railway came up trtumps....as always.

20210726_115139.jpg

20210726_115332.jpg

100_4074.JPG

100_3920.JPG

100_3888 (2).JPG

• Like 18

The original Airfix church, memories!

I will have to see if I can find one.

With a little imaginative detailing, it would still be a good model.

About seven quid it seems, even though I model the DB in N gauge, I feel a 4mm scale diorama project coming on.

Edited by dick rowland
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Welcome back Brian,

That church looks like the full sized version of the old Airfix kit:*

image.png.8d4261f1e56c86336cc6713151ac6b18.png

Note the typical modeller's error....

Stained glass in a church can only be seen as a picture from the inside of the building.

Edit:  Just seen Dick Rowland's comment:  we were obviously typing at the same time, but I was also watching Limp Pig  Ladies Rugby 7's.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 11

Those of a 'certain age' will remember the 4mm scale "Tetfield" GWR branch line layout by H.H.Tetlow that featured in the RM circa 1960.

In a separate article "H.H." described how he 'kit-bashed' the Airfix church, to form the Tetfield station building, inspired by Tintern.

Exit stage left, bound for the man cave.

• Like 8