Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

Welcome back Brian,

That church looks like the full sized version of the old Airfix kit:*

image.png.8d4261f1e56c86336cc6713151ac6b18.png

Note the typical modeller's error....

Stained glass in a church can only be seen as a picture from the inside of the building.

Edit:  Just seen Dick Rowland's comment:  we were obviously typing at the same time, but I was also watching Limp Pig  Ladies Rugby 7's.

unless it's at night and the lights are on..

• Agree 8

On the subject of Railway churches, does anyone know the origin of the Triang one? I saw what looked very like it on a tv programme where an RAF Hawk was flying around Britain but there was no commentary

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, laurenceb said:

On the subject of Railway churches, does anyone know the origin of the Triang one? I saw what looked very like it on a tv programme where an RAF Hawk was flying around Britain but there was no commentary

An interesting aspect of that programme was it was 'filmed backwards'!

The camera in the Hawk faced to the rear (no chance of it getting splatted with flies and other flying detritus, and the recording was then run in reverse in order to get a nose eye view!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

The camera in the Hawk faced to the rear (no chance of it getting splatted with flies and other flying detritus....

One of the instructors at the unit where I did my flying training had flown the Beverly. He reckoned that it was unique in that all recorded bird strikes on the aircraft had been from behind.

14 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Is there any other solid currency?

I always thought that cake was solid?

Dave

• Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

One of the instructors at the unit where I did my flying training had flown the Beverly. He reckoned that it was unique in that all recorded bird strikes on the aircraft had been from behind.

I always thought that cake was solid?

Dave

There is also single malt variety of liquid currency.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

An interesting aspect of that programme was it was 'filmed backwards'!

The camera in the Hawk faced to the rear (no chance of it getting splatted with flies and other flying detritus, and the recording was then run in reverse in order to get a nose eye view!

The programme (which I don't think I ever saw) was an episode of QED called "Round Britain Whizz":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Q.E.D._(British_TV_series)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
On 30/07/2021 at 18:28, Dave Hunt said:

It is a little known fact that when the smuggling of brandy, tobacco and wine into Britain was rife, that after they had dropped their cargo the smuggling vessels would go the other way laden with Eccles cakes as contraband into France. This was the start of what became the currantcy exchange.

Dave  

image.png.7df6ab5cf50ec8b1bc20128b1e3d45f3.png.bcd634d9244a9be51e1dcd10c7da7615.png

Edited by jamie92208
  • Agree 11
  • Funny 1

5 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

It is a little known fact that when the smuggling of brandy, tobacco and wine into Britain was rife, that after they had dropped their cargo the smuggling vessels would go the other way laden with Eccles cakes as contraband into France. This was the start of what became the currantcy exchange.

Dave  

I really wish I hadn't bothered to read all that.

That's 20 seconds  I'll never get back.

Could you perhaps warn us next time?

Andy

• Funny 12

• RMweb Gold

Our neighbour has just left, having invited us around to watch the second Lions v South Africa rugby test match.

I need to do a beer run!

In the meantime, I also need to sort through my metals collection.  I have far too much:  A lot of it being offcuts that might come in handy one day.  I've even found a box full of the brass bits from 13 A plugs.  What I was going to make form them is anybody's guess?

On the plus side, the garage has places where the floor can be seen at last!

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 2

Sounds like you need to do a scrap run 

Steel is around £140 per ton now.

We shifted a lot of scrap, mostly steel, out of dad's sheds and have made a tidy sum out of it. 

A new Hippodrome could be in reach

Andy

Edited by SM42
Units boy, units!
  • Like 9

47 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Some Midland Red

AD94D614-96E4-4443-A27D-CE07183E28FF.jpeg.a3fd9e0e0d5e3ff52a47d2fcbacfe04e.jpeg

As an aside that has little to do with this I once worked at the Midland Red Head Office at Edgbaston and it still had the old plug style telephone boards in reception. When Pat who was the longest serving telephonist answered the phone all anyone ever heard was "d Red". 

Apparently she had been answering this way for over 30 years :laugh_mini:

It was a fascinating place to work as it was in the final days of the Central Works where they used to build buses like the one in Tony's model.

The last things I recall being built were some Ford Transit bread van style minibuses. Walking round the works was a real history tour and I rather wish I had taken some photos.

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I've just been sitting in the shed doing a bit of modelling to the sound of midland redstarts. I think we have a fledgling as one rather flufy one was on a bookshelf bei g fed by a parent.

Jamie

• Like 10