Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, coastalview said:

The first test train has just completed a circuit on my first layout since I built one for the boys 30 years ago.

A feeling of smugness pervades the train shed. :blink:

It's not finescale just code 100 10x8 roundy roundy from a CJ Freezer plan. But it works and nothing falls off the track so well happy.

Next job is ballasting:help:

Chris

We'll be pleased to accept pictures.

I'm still looking for some inspiration to start on one for the grandchildren.

I think it will probably be of the racetrack variety rather than a skilfully crafted section of the Midland main line.

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 6

Afternoon all,

I thought we might like these photos I took on Friday night if the Palm Court Grill at the Davenport hotel in Spokane, where our hosts treated us to dinner. I don’t remember exactly how old the hotel is but 1896 springs to mind. 

C8A051F4-7A29-4B41-A8E6-76B7A36BCC97.jpeg.fc2519dc1f524637946e22fa52f78072.jpeg

E4D6F674-216F-427A-B596-D9E0D01AA9B3.jpeg.810d6b62ab0adb0c767a146c04ac42ad.jpeg

3400B995-F6E3-41DE-8C55-56D6735B81D4.jpeg.44646c533f3625be3c3f529114a5aff3.jpeg

It was a very nice dinner. 

We are departing soon for Houston, and it appears I have been given a first class seat from Houston to Tulsa, something I’ve never had. 

Douglas

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

14 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

We'll be pleased to accept pictures.

I'm still looking for some inspiration to start on one for the grandchildren.

I think it will probably be of the racetrack variety rather than a skilfully crafted section of the Midland main line.

Seeing as you ask..

It's got more track than baseboard and is wired for DCC, so don't expect realism but it should be fun when the grandkids come up (although I think they will have to run a little faster) as I've just discovered that a second one is due this Christmas 

Edited by coastalview
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Amongst other things today, it has been the mini-transport festival, so of course the handy to us MER was in fine form, with 8 different car sets in constant action on the 17 mile line.  We were in our fave little trackside cafe for an hour so saw a few grind by, including numbers 1 and 2, from 1893.  Car 14 is a rare cop too, doesn't often run as she is hand braked only.

mer1.jpg.ace3abe8d23b7faf2be038724b4bb077.jpg

mer2.jpg.b0d4eed2b90f136932a7a9797b0e603d.jpg

mer14.jpg.9bef0cfc7c2e7c8f93086e6d08d3ecce.jpg

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

I was sitting in that very cafe two years ago this week having travelled from Douglas on that very car (the toast rack behind No. 1). Wish I was there this week......

Who's a jammy NHN then?

Dave

Edited by Dave Hunt
  • Like 6
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

That's one of the 6 original 1893 trailers too, Dave, allowed out on high days and holidays.  We do like sitting at 'The Little Shed' at Dhoon, it is a little sun trap and much improved eats over the previous proprietors.  In the past I would have been at Groudle Glen in an operational role on a gala day, so although I miss doing that I do now get the opportunity to see other things!

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

We travelled on that combination twice, Neil, and on one trip the guard was very knowledgeable and proud of his charges. When we stopped at Laxey he showed us round the cars and then came and had a coffee with us. He was a really nice chap and enhanced our trip considerably.

Dave

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, Northroader said:

Indeed!  That's a cracking photo of 3 down the Ramsey quayside, very rare to see a shot there, especially as it is right down at the bottom - they tend to be up at the top end just after passing over Bowring Road.  Thanks for the link.

The track is no longer appalling though. Mrs NHN shares office space with the head of PWay, he seems to do a good job!

• Like 7
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

We travelled on that combination twice, Neil, and on one trip the guard was very knowledgeable and proud of his charges. When we stopped at Laxey he showed us round the cars and then came and had a coffee with us. He was a really nice chap and enhanced our trip considerably.

Dave

Yes, most (but not all!) of the staff are very enthusiastic and proud of the railways, and of course their Manx heritage.   I have a couple of friends there, and they work there because they really want to, also Andrew Scarffe who is a driver, is also a driving force in the voluntary support movement and is behind many books on the railway and a total fount of knowledge for anything MER.  He's driving 14 in this photo.

Debs shares office space with the PWay manager and the rolling stock manager in particular, she reports he often has amusing telephone calls with suppliers.  Sort of go.....yes, 500V....yes DC.....no, not recently....actually 1893...no 18, not 1993......yes really.....no, daily use......not preserved, just still in use......and so on! :lol:

20210801_112620.jpg.e22213bbe2ff2562b8e74a3a15d3f6a3.jpg

• Like 16
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Northroader said:

And here's a video:

:laugh::laugh:

• Like 2
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Northroader said:

there’s a nice selection of old fraggle rock pix been posted here:

Yes, what a great set of photographs - takes me right back to my nipperood in the 1950s. Oh, that more of it was still in existence. Sometimes I'd go off for the day with my Granddad and we'd just go where the whim (and timetables) took us on the IOMR and the MER. Great days. Nostalgia, eh?

Dave

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

Yes, what a great set of photographs - takes me right back to my nipperood in the 1950s. Oh, that more of it was still in existence. Sometimes I'd go off for the day with my Granddad and we'd just go where the whim (and timetables) took us on the IOMR and the MER. Great days. Nostalgia, eh?

Dave

Indeed, some rare images.  Was that Foxdale in one shot, with the scissors crossover?  Seeing a photo of "Derby" in service must be rare as well. 

• Like 4

Morning all,

We arrived safely back in Tulsa last night at about 10:30 at night, and were home by 11:00. Now I’m back home, I can set about deciding what I wish to continue modeling. 

Currently I have 3 options:

1. Expand my fleet of Bassett Lowke stock for the George and the Mogul. Very costly.

2. Start modeling the Milwaukee road or the BNSF around Tulsa as I remember it in around 2010. (Lots of SD40-2s) Relatively costly.

3. Build a OO gauge BR eastern region minories layout. Relatively costly.

If you all have any advice it is most welcome. 

Douglas

Edited by Florence Locomotive Works
Minories not minority’s.
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Morning all,

We arrived safely back in Tulsa last night at about 10:30 at night, and were home by 11:00. Now I’m back home, I can set about deciding what I wish to continue modeling. 

1. Expand my fleet of Bassett Lowke stock for the George and the Mogul. Very costly.

2. Start modeling the Milwaukee road or the BNSF around Tulsa as I remember it in around 2010. (Lots of SD40-2s) Relatively costly.

3. Build a OO gauge BR eastern region minority’s layout. Relatively costly.

Douglas

Opt 3  - relatively costly - compared to what?

Obviously this depends on the size of your proposed layout, but a few 2nd hand items, fettled to be in good working order and hand-made points ( which I'm sure you are capable of) needn't be that expensive.

Stu

• Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

Indeed, some rare images.  Was that Foxdale in one shot, with the scissors crossover?  Seeing a photo of "Derby" in service must be rare as well. 

Yes, that's Foxdale with the scissors.  The station building is still extant.  My first job on the rock was as Sub-Postmaster in Foxdale - miserable up there in winter, it's high!  It isn't exactly my favourite place on the island.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Morning all,

3. Build a OO gauge BR eastern region minories layout. Relatively costly.

Douglas

Just do something that is very/relatively/quite/horrendously costly!

Never do something that is very costly.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
On 01/08/2021 at 11:26, polybear said:

Blue Diesels?  Now that really does mark the start of the irretrievable descent into the dark side......

:jester:

Don't worry, the green diesels will get a run but I said it would be blue locos next...

1054442361_kingblue.jpg.d44ffb377fa20ab8cb080decea7235d9.jpg

• Like 7
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium

Douglas,

i agree with Stubby that a relatively small layout with second-hand rolling stock that can be fettled, as I'm quite sure you are capable of doing, and with a few hand built points, which again shouldn't faze someone with you capabilities, would fit the bill. If you plan it well, although it would start of small it could be extended when funds allow. I think that you already have a locomotive that would fit the BR(ER) bill. If you want to see BR(ER) modelling, go over to Wright Writes where some of the finest 00 models from the area and era you are interested in are featured.

Dave 

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2