Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

On our way back we stopped off in Lubin

This was in the park

20210811_134141.jpg.2ce1aa617ba2ee20ea779fe32e54c202.jpg

A display about the Poles in the North Africa campaign. Very well done using old containers to house displays  and an awful lot of sand to recreate the desert.

This was also there in the Battle  of Britain  area 

20210811_134608.jpg.a20caf37cff0a48962eab971e070a787.jpg

A replica of a 303 squadron Hurricane flown by Witold Urbanowicz.

There were several railway vans forming part of a Great War display too

20210811_140012.jpg.6c9372484bf27534be0afcf2e373a67e.jpg

Of which this was one

The remarkable thing is that non of it had been vandalised despite being in a public park

Andy 

• Like 17

8 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Interesting that the railway van is a ferry van.

I think they may have used what they could get from PKP that looked vintage  but you never know

All three vans seemed to be the same basic design. This is the only one I photographed as it wasn't surrounded by people.

The other two were at the entrance to the display area near the children's play park so there were a lot of people toing and froing

Here is some detail of the wagon number

20210811_143139.jpg.bcbf40ea4efa756d76f7066821d02506.jpg

Quite a few containers were used throughout the display areas to very good effect. Even had an underground WW1 trench section recreated in one, a submarine interior in another and the outsides were well disguised too

Andy

Edited by SM42
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Didn’t know donkeys shed….

Didn’t know they wore Hawaiian shirts either…

He's not your average Donkey.  He gets around too - Donkhenge....

647780404_6(Medium).JPG.f440ae547fc2ff5ccbbed85bf6d3c1b0.JPG

Playing the Ukulele

P1200967.JPG.7aa54989c171ee3f5df66d31c52be38b.JPG

Electronics engineer....

2113244188_P1200063(Medium).JPG.a8281aab589a3782f5c9d3c4c0f03eba.JPG

• Like 15
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

There in fact two Eccles Neil. The original up North and a southern copycat one in missionary land.

The northern one is where the cakes originate from.

There are more than that , there's two in Norfolk, there is the remains of one on the Coast of Norfolk...  They petitioned Henry 8 to have their taxes cut, they were being taxed on 2000 acres, but only had 200 left... The rest was washed away.. there's less than that now. The church tower came down in a storm in 1895..

image.png.4f134e3a1d4541d3036cbc7c2a59c9be.png

PS English heritage is after the Donk.. for being inside the rope at Donkhenge..

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Sympathies to Ian from a long-term back sufferer - it's no joke when something goes twang in the lower reaches like that. 

It's good to see Donk back in circulation. I was beginning to think that he may have retired from public life and left to take up retirement in some offshore tax haven. Oh, hang on he lives on Fraggle Rock anyway doesn't he? 

Today's activities for me include a trip to the Hippodrome to see a certain pachyderm of local fame then with luck some time working on the layout. I'm currently painting track, which is one of the more boring things to be doing but unfortunately is necessary.

Ah, well, onward and upward. 

TTFN

Dave

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

At 2 this morning, cleaner Alison, and chauffeur François, delivered me to A&E at Mamers. We had first gone to La Ferté Bernard, but they have no overnight doc for a couple of nights! My back has been playing up big time since I overstretched it last Friday adjusting the mower ride-height while keeping the motor running. Last night I struggled to get into bed, and quickly shot out again due to pain that makes me shout!

A rather grumpy doc examined my lower spine and found nothing nasty, confirming that  it is purely muscular. So I was put on a drip for 20 minutes, mainly valium, I think, and was dropped off at home at 3. I have a cocktail of meds to take, but Alison has that prescription and will get it fulfilled today. It includes Tramadol, which I have been taking for the last few days, and mercifully don't suffer the nausea felt by some others. I also have a prescription for an MRI scan. 

All this has rather put a hold on my chance to get to England to see Sherry, which is a huge disappointment after so long. We will see how recovery goes. 

Hope it sorts itself soon Ian.  At leadt you have a good book to read.

Jamie

• Like 6
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Sympathies to Ian from a long-term back sufferer - it's no joke when something goes twang in the lower reaches like that.

Bear busted his spine many moons ago - I quickly learnt that:

1. Coughing is a big no-no.

2. Sneezing?  Bad news like you wouldn't believe - I still have the Bear-shaped imprints in the ceiling.....

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Gold

The Staffelfuhrer came and went having consumed tea and having had a nice chat.

He now has Jamie's tin of shot which has ben sealed with tape coloured in a most fetching Midland Railway red.

One can see the appeal of such a livery.

• Like 6
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Donks not wearing a Roman toga..

Neither are these, some of whom are Druids in robes, not togas.  Avebury, Spring Equinox 2008.  A fine day, until the circle called for peace in Tibet, when this happened.

42.jpg

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 11

3 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

I know the feeling well. 

The most innocent of actions can seem to set it off.

Last time mine was for no apparent reason, just walking to the car. 

I really hope it all gets better very quickly Ian  and you can be up on your feet and bouncing around soon.

Andy

• Agree 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Artur Itis was very quiet this morning when I got out of bed. Mind you one wrong move and he reminds you that he's waiting in the shadows.

My delight on waking up this morning was some dry eye.

The trouble is being it is so painful that it's very difficult to open the eye in order to get the lubricating eye drops in.

Cocodamol offers pretty quick relief.  It also helps with Artur at the same time.

The illustrious Staffelfuhrer dropped in for Jamie's tin of shot, which I tastefully decorated with Midland Railway coloured sticky tape.

One can see the appeal of the line with such a fine colour for it's livery.

I too can sympathise with Ian's back problems. Excruciating at times and not to be sneezed at.  (In fact sneezing makes the problem worse!)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

The Staffelfuhrer came and went having consumed tea and having had a nice chat.

He now has Jamie's tin of shot which has ben sealed with tape coloured in a most fetching Midland Railway red.

One can see the appeal of such a livery.

Thank the Good Lord that HH was never in bomb disposal as he's colour blind. The "Fetching Midland Red" to which he refers is actually an eye-wateringly vivid pink that  is probably banned by the Jockey Club on racing colours as it would frighten the horses and is quite possibly radioactive. When Jamie comes to collect it tomorrow I will make sure that it is in a heavy duty bag with a prominent health & safety warning.

Whilst at the Hippodrome I was shown the site for the next South Walesian 7mm extravaganza. It may be a little tight for Cardiff Central but after about six skip loads of extraneous furniture, fixtures and fittings are removed, something slightly smaller should be OK.

TTFN

Dave

• Like 2
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, petethemole said:

Neither are these, some of whom are Druids in robes, not togas.  Avebury, Spring Equinox 2008.  A fine day, until the circle called for peace in Tibet, when this happened.

42.jpg

The gods obviously mis-heard the request for "Peace in Tibet" as "P***in' wet", and granted their wish.....

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 9

4 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I too can sympathise with Ian's back problems. Excruciating at times and not to be sneezed at.  (In fact sneezing makes the problem worse!)

What I find frustrating about back pain, is all those helpful info sheets that tell you how to do things like lift a box, but never anything useful like how to put your socks on, or tie shoelaces  or wash yourself and other bathroom  necessities 

Andy

Edited by SM42
Predictive text and beer do not mix
  • Like 4
  • Agree 7
  • Friendly/supportive 2