Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I believe we also all have differing reactions to alcohol when it is ingested.  Some have far more tolerance than others and show little signs of inebriation.

So, how much Penderyn does it take to inebriate a  Hippo? To the nearest bottle will do as a rough estimate.

Dave

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

So, how much Penderyn does it take to inebriate a  Hippo? To the nearest bottle will do as a rough estimate.

Dave

Don't forget differing versions have different effects, so any answers need to be compiled on a spread sheet.

This is especially important if a switch between versions is made mid session.

I am available for consultation and to take part in any scientific experiments.

Obviously the laboratory has to provide the test samples and I would recommend Dave Hunt and Jamie Guest as the two subjects needed as controls.

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Obviously the laboratory has to provide the test samples and I would recommend Dave Hunt and Jamie Guest as the two subjects needed as controls.

So this is actually a contest to see which one becomes as silly as a rook - and which becomes as silly as two rooks! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Oldddudders said:

So this is actually a contest to see which one becomes as silly as a rook - and which becomes as silly as two rooks! 

Damn, found out!

But it was a good idea as it would have been at someone else's expense (great expense:laugh_mini:)

• Like 2
  • Funny 10

38 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Damn, found out!

But it was a good idea as it would have been at someone else's expense (great expense:laugh_mini:)

Hmm not if its done as a double blind. Yourll also need a control subject as well. What's the placebo going to be - cold tea?

• Like 2
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Hmm not if its done as a double blind. Yourll also need a control subject as well. What's the placebo going to be - cold tea?

Probably, but well volunteered for taking on the unenviable task of drinking it whilst myself and Messrs Hunt and Guest do the serious stuff.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium

Well, the Gothic horde two grandchildren have been here six hours and the house appears to be the site of something resembling the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. However, I haven't wasted my time as already I have negotiated:

1. An outing for all of us on Tuesday to the Severn Valley Railway.

2. An outing on Wednesday for Jill, Auntie jean (a good friend whom the children regard as one of the family) and the children to Hoo Farm without me :yahoo:As long as I prepare dinner while they are away, the day is mine to spend as I like!!! :senile: 

Sometimes the good guys win. 

I must try not to smile too much as jill will detect that there must be some reason that is contrary to the rules of SWMBO Central and it could all collapse around me.

Dave (AKA Mr. potentially Happy Bunny) 

PS - There's a programme on BBC2 at 2000 about hippos but the synopsis doesn't mention cake or whisky so it can't be very realistic.

Edited by Dave Hunt
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

On 14/08/2021 at 11:18, NHY 581 said:

What the bloody hell were you drinking !!!???

Concerned of Rumney. 

I don't know but I need some

Back in reliable  WiFi range and trip back that had everything. 

A concert in the square at Gorzow Wielkopolski, mainly religious themed songs for the 15th August. 

A chance to mooch about the station. 

An interesting layout, with a low level out of use goods yard next to the platforms and a mysterious sign to more platforms, that directed you through a subway, under  said yard and onto a platform that to all intents was a separate station

A bit like Waterloo  and Waterloo East really

Found this lurking at the "secret" platform

20210815_145137.jpg.be0724d7bc8389f2669ba7b5f39cd2a4.jpg

And a wider view with the other train that was there. 

20210815_144954.jpg.5ebaaf03a2f942f9ab5ee466e9f31071.jpg

The trip back threw up a warning on the hire car dashboard.

this was translated as check tyre pressures then press set for 3 seconds to reset the warning

We stopped at the next garage and did so.  

Pressed set and nothing , tried for next 47 miles pressing the "set" button on the steering wheel without joy. 

Stopped at BIL's to seek further local knowledge. We tried turning it off and on again. Getting out locking and getting in and starting up again, without success

He went off to find a torch, and in the meantime I had a look  around and found another set button hidden on the left, under the steering wheel.  SUCCESS!

I have a headache  now and  drinking a prescription beer, but may need something stronger.

Andy

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 4

On 14/08/2021 at 16:27, J. S. Bach said:

EDIT:

WBBM - Chicago; AM 780, FM 105.9

WBKB - Chicago TV Ch 4 (until @1953) Now a station in Alpena, MI TV Ch 11

WGN - Chicago TV Ch 9; AM 720

WMAQ - Chicago TV Ch 5

Those are today's locations. I have heard of the two Chicago stations, at least their AM radio outlets. Both could be heard in Baltimore under the right conditions as they may have been nighttime "clear-channel" stations.

For World radio here's a nice website I found the other day. Almost as much fun as tuning into Radio Luxembourg on an old fashioned set 

Http://radio.garden 

Can't  seem to be able to copy the link. Sorry

Andy

• Like 7

Afternoon all,

Today I made the second side valance and fitted it to the engine. Unfortunately I don’t think I have the patience to cut out all the needed shapes with a jewelers saw so I used the tin snips this time as well, but thank you to the Hippo for his advice. Up next is to consult with the machinist on the price of machining the wheels and then paint the engine in a base coat of LNWR black.

Oh, I also made a proper smokebox wrapper which will in good time be soldered to the smokebox plate, in the photos it’s just sitting there.

748ABEB1-5E46-49B8-9764-C957E8A278A0.jpeg.993075b677101dad6f0482b3d6d80392.jpeg

31EFA067-9212-4D5B-81C4-D53F3E7DBB5C.jpeg.3ae8991894e1fe29c2a21536b773ce5a.jpeg

Douglas

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

9 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Probably, but well volunteered for taking on the unenviable task of drinking it whilst myself and Messrs Hunt and Guest do the serious stuff.

You know me too well H - anything to help a 'pal' in need. Just so long as my palm is crossed muulah (and plenty of it at that)

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium

I punched out early yesterday; I must have been sick because just before I did, I ended up on Hatton's website and almost ordered an O scale green pannier. :o Anyway, I am out of here as a great book about the Naval war in the Pacific and my recliner awaits me. It is the story of US Admiral Nimitz and a Captain Evans and the Japanese Admirals Kurita and Ozawa. It tells of their march to the Battle of Leyte Gulf where they meet.

Edited by J. S. Bach
To add some information.
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

Missed yesterday. We went to a play in Stratford, Three Tall Women.  It was done with a 2 1/2 hour intermission over supper hour and we returned home well after sunset. 

Audience was limited to 50, well spaced and all masked.

• Like 11

10 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

PS - There's a programme on BBC2 at 2000 about hippos but the synopsis doesn't mention cake or whisky so it can't be very realistic.

I spotted that just before the programme was transmitted.  It was narrated by Sir David Attenborough with an arguably mischievous choice of music.

Chris

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

I punched out early yesterday; I must have been sick because just before I did, I ended up on Hatton's website and almost ordered an O scale green pannier. :o

That's a very serious condition - of every case I've heard of it has never ended well, sadly.  Seek help, urgently.  Apparently a prescription containing a concoction of LNER, LMS and BR Standards can work wonders.

• Agree 3
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, polybear said:

That's a very serious condition - of every case I've heard of it has never ended well, sadly.  Seek help, urgently.  Apparently a prescription containing a concoction of LNER, LMS and BR Standards can work wonders.

The only worse related condition is American O scale.

The small pink terrorist  Tornado is still quiet so I am making the most of the day.

Jamie

• Like 10
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

I was dragged earlier from my normal early morning activity - I.e., snoozing - into wakefulness and a discussion about, of all things, the reason for the seasons and the autumn equinox (I kid you not) by a bright eyed and bushy tailed six year old. To help my system get over the shock I was, thankfully, presented with a large muggocoffee and some measure of equanimity has been restored. Poor old Horace the cat has taken to spending most of his time outdoors with just the occasional foray into the house for food as the noise and commotion of the SPTs is not to his liking. 

After two phone calls on Friday from the practice nurses rearranging appointments for having the dressing on my hooter changed I have just received a text message reminding me that I have one tomorrow morning. Unfortunately the last conversation I had with a nurse informed me that it was this afternoon so bang goes half my morning trying to get through to a receptionist to clarify (?!) the situation.

Have a good week everyone.

Dave

• Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium

I have discovered a sure-fire SPT calming device to be the promise of granddad's chocolate cake. The effect on our two small visigoths would suggest that they have the potential to become disciples of certain ursine or pachyderm contributors to this forum. As a result I will be starting the manufacturing process later today.

Dave

• Like 11
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

The only worse related condition is American O scale.

Surely the detrimental effects of American O scale can't compare in magnitude with the potential for lasting damage due to an interest in green pannier tanks? 

Dave

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1