Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

I understood that naked lady skydivers always wear knicks because it stops that whistling noise.....

This one was definitely not wearing any knickers. The effect of a 120 mph wind on the human skin is interesting. And the effect on female genitalia makes me think that any males doing the same would have watering eyes. 

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
52 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

I Googled skydiving and found this.

https://www.chattanoogaskydivingcompany.com/blog/the-truth-about-naked-skydiving/

There was also a film of a young lady skydiving naked as well but I won't put it on here for obvious reasons. 

19 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

I understood that naked lady skydivers always wear knicks because it stops that whistling noise.....

10 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

This one was definitely not wearing any knickers. The effect of a 120 mph wind on the human skin is interesting. And the effect on female genitalia makes me think that any males doing the same would have watering eyes. 

I read the comments on the film, most of them very funny. As I said I can't post it on a family forum such as RMweb but if any adult member wants to view it I can PM it too them.

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Northroader said:

I reckon any single driver is going to be highly good looking, without worrying about which partickler company had it, so here’s six examples, all differing designs, builders and companies, without worrying about bogie stuff neither.

g4DD819B4-B376-4D33-A0C1-4B0928ED24F4.jpeg.9d3d3a4881739f09630269a3905341ab.jpeg

I don't know, I prefer something with a little more heft :jester::

867587947_TDCpossibilityAll-NationGeneralModels-02locomotivefront.JPG.045629aacabbdbceffca9c24759867ea.JPG

• Like 11

16 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Dear Mr. Arse,

At first reading I was inclined to dismiss out of hand your accusation of scurrilous statement and discriminatory comment mongering but on reflection I decided first to do some fact checking and found that your objection to my earlier post has some merit. My search has revealed that I was indeed wrong to deny hippos the ability to hang glide, although their achievements in that pursuit are somewhat limited. It turns out that the world speed record for a hang glider is held by a certain Major H. Hippo during a flight from the top of the cliffs of Mojer to a landing directly below the take off point a matter of a few seconds later. I hope that this admission of fault on my part will satisfy your objections and negate the need for 'satisfaction'. If not, then as the challenged party my choice of weapon is the McDonnell F4J, K or M.

I await communication from you appointed second.

D. Hunt

Dear Sir

Further to your recent communication regarding our abysmal attempt to excuse yourself from your lamitable  evidence of a hippos ability.

I await your seconds approachment and my choice of weapon is a Starstreak ground to air missile system.

Yours

Mr A Arse

• Funny 5

6 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

@bbishop, missing the information that it was singles specifically that were under discussion, 

Guilty as charged, well I was skim reading.  

There was, of course, William Adams' "might have been" - the 8 foot single.  The history of locomotive design is littered with a member of the Locomotive Committee having a good idea.  This was one of them, the member had travelled from St Pancras behind a "Spinner" and suggested a similar beast on the LSWR.  Adams was no fool, so John Reid took the T6 design, raised the boiler, replaced the coupled wheels with an 8 foot driver and 4' 10" trailing wheels.  A quick weight diagram gave 19 ton on the driving wheels, which was unacceptable to the resident engineer.  Our member did not believe this, so a letter was sent to Derby, asking for the weights of a Spinner.  Johnson rather disingenuously replied with the design weights, Adams smelt a rat and asked for the actual weights, and the answer killed off the Adams single.  Much to Adams' relief.  Everything would have been forgotten except for the preservation of a coloured scale drawing. 

Bill

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Currently staying in Colyton, I am deep into LSWR territory.

My favourite English non GWR line.

I once planned a small station called Merry Meeting, just west of Blisland, (a friend's grandfather had once owned the forge there) on the line up to Wenford Bridge. Unlike the real thing, my version had a vestigial passenger service.

I'll dig out the plan and bore you all with it once I get back to the Hippodrome.

For those who feel that that Cornish clay line has been just slightly over exposed, it would transpose easily into West Wales.

A simple name change to Llansawel and the clay branch became a quarry branch

• Like 12

Afternoon all,

A good but sweltering session at the track was had today. On the way home we passed these Dash 9s (probably, don’t quote me on that) heading south on the old Frisco mainline.

38D7F139-25C2-4B2C-B489-D7125D45B893.jpeg.9bb583fdbcbb73d26fdbc69aad8bd786.jpeg

With regards to 4-2-2s, my absolute favorite is Sturrock’s GNR experimental, the first east coast high speed engine.

D25A51DB-3196-4901-9524-C1523CD5E459.jpeg.df0809b034be78fa243a364993fa2d2c.jpeg
Credit

Douglas

Edited by Florence Locomotive Works
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

my absolute favorite is Sturrock’s GNR experimental, the first east coast high speed engine.

A standard gauge version of Gooch's broad gauge singles; Archibald Sturrock had been Gooch's works manager at Swindon before moving to Doncaster in 1850. He retired in 1866 but lived to 1909 - long enough to witness the rise and fall of the second generation of singles.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

12 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Ian is right about falling objects.  They can only accelerate indefinitely at 10m a second squared in a vacuum.

Not in the case of hippos. They have sufficient mass to distort space-time enough to cause the Earth to accelerate towards the hippo thereby reducing the net acceleration.

• Funny 11

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, AndyID said:

Not in the case of hippos. They have sufficient mass to distort space-time 

Is it in fact the case that your average hippo is sufficiently massive that, from its relativistic reference frame, it perceives the Earth as revolving around it?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 12

55 minutes ago, AndyID said:

They cause the Earth to accelerate towards the hippo …

I believe this is correct. Gravity is a mutual attractive force. Any body falling towards the Earth is also causing the Earth to move ‘upwards’ towards that body. Normally, because of the huge imbalance in mass, this movement of the Earth is completely imperceptible, but in the case of hippos? - who knows!

• Agree 6
  • Funny 3

Evening all,

First light and temporary coat of black applied to the SB door, looking pretty good IMHO. I’m still undecided as to what to use for a dart, but it will be in LNWR/Caledonian style with a wheel and handle. This specific design of door was inspired by the London, Tilbury & Southend Railway 4-6-4 tanks and the MR Johnson Compound.

06216EB3-ECF8-40AD-BABD-D3402A72E14E.jpeg.91b4cea536e6bbbaafbd45458263678c.jpeg

Dinner was had at the grandparents house this evening, and it consisted of red beans and rice with a fruit tart for desert. Thankfully all the family down in New Orleans are safe and have electricity, but no tv. Most got generators right before the storm, so they don’t have mains power yet. The only problem with that is finding gas.

Re the Sturrock single, I had read that it was more or less a standard gauge Iron Duke, but I did not know Sturrock was ever employed by the GWR. Thank you for that.

Douglas

Edited by Florence Locomotive Works
  • Like 10

6 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

This is interesting, I'd like to go and see it.

https://nla.london/exhibitions/the-new-london-model

Big models are always interesting. I visited the Ringling Museum in Sarasota in Jan 20 and was much impressed by the "circus model" including, at one end a very nice "circus train" model which I believe is 1 gauge, you might imagine the size if the whole layout ...

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, AndyID said:

Not in the case of hippos. They have sufficient mass to distort space-time enough to cause the Earth to accelerate towards the hippo thereby reducing the net acceleration.

7 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Is it in fact the case that your average hippo is sufficiently massive that, from its relativistic reference frame, it perceives the Earth as revolving around it?

6 hours ago, pH said:

I believe this is correct. Gravity is a mutual attractive force. Any body falling towards the Earth is also causing the Earth to move ‘upwards’ towards that body. Normally, because of the huge imbalance in mass, this movement of the Earth is completely imperceptible, but in the case of hippos? - who knows!

All the above made Bear think that Hippos could be THE answer to Global Warming - all we need to do is put the word out that FREE cake would always be available, but only in the middle of the night at one specific location on Earth.  Net result?  (1) Mass migration of Hippos  (2) World moves towards Hippos (who are on the side furthest away from the Sun) - so the World effectively moves away from the Sun and hence drops the temperature.  Cunning, eh?

At that point in the planning (and bearing in mind it's only 07:14 on a Sunday morning) Bear's brain began to hurt; visions of a World Cake Shortage didn't help and eventually I thought that such a plan just wasn't worth the cost.  Another great idea crashes n' burns.  Oh well.

• Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Funny 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

All I did was post about a hippo falling off a cliff and now we're on to relativity and global warming. What on earth would happen if someone was incautious enough to mention black holes and time dilation in the vicinity of extremely large masses......

Oops.

Dave

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 3