Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, laurenceb said:

If anyone questioning the sanity of railway modellers visited this thread all dought would be removed!:jester:

I apologise unreservedly for having started the general insanity about relativity  etc.as it relates to hippos. Just in case anyone thinks that I am actually crackers, I assure you that I am quite normal as my cat and the little leprechaun who lives in my workshop will testify.

Dave

• Funny 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

I apologise unreservedly for having started the general insanity about relativity  etc.as it relates to hippos. Just in case anyone thinks that I am actually crackers, I assure you that I am quite normal as my cat and the little leprechaun who lives in my workshop will testify.

Dave

So that's where Schroedingers cat is.

Jamie

• Funny 7

6 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

So that's where Schroedingers cat is.

Jamie

Relatively. Don't forget relatively. Is the cat actually there. Is the Hippo actual there. Relatively speaking of course.

Edited by Winslow Boy
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I just open my mouth....

Dave mentioned something about a black hole!

Tried that one too.  That Mince Pie at the front suddenly became a dum-dum bullet at the back.  Messy.

3 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

I NEED HELP!!!!   I just ordered a pannier! GWR Green!! I need help! :o

You don't need help.  You need Broadmoor.....

:laugh:

3 hours ago, AndyID said:

Probably not quite as much help as I'll need tomorrow as I prep for my upbumscope on Tuesday.

Piece of cake.  Just remember not to f@rt on the way to the appointment, just in case.....

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

There's probably something in the South Carolina state legislature banning the importation of offensive objects and material that could apply here. We can contact your local sheriff's department for guidance. There is also the Board of Health to consider as they probably have guidance on mental health issues. Take heart, it may not yet be too late.

Dave

• Agree 6
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Recent discussions about parachutes are tragically put into perspective here.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-58459694

In the last few days I think I saw a report of a couple of RN divers losing their lives on an exercise.

Lots of concern about veterans' mental health in the wake of the Afghan withdrawal, and charities being funded to support such people, is fine, but is the military doing enough to look after its own?

Not looking for answers but those who have served might have a view.  

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

Sorry, you are beyond medical help but keep taking the pills anyway. (Now where did I put those pharma company shares?)

• Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

In the last few days I think I saw a report of a couple of RN divers losing their lives on an exercise.

Not sure they were RN Divers, if this is the accident in question:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9957429/Two-divers-missing-feared-dead-Cornwall.html

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, AndyID said:

Probably not quite as much help as I'll need tomorrow as I prep for my upbumscope on Tuesday.

Mine is on Wednesday morning. At the moment I am on the don’t eat vegetables or roughage day. Nothing to eat after breakfast tomorrow. The pre-procedure medication hasn’t arrived yet, being couriered due to short notice of appointment. I suppose if it doesn’t appear tomorrow I will have to reschedule. 
Tony

• Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Gold

For some reason a lot of my recent birthday cards had locos on them. The card Aditi sent had a nice portrait of a GWR pannier tank. She said she knew it  probably wasn’t the right sort of loco but I reassured her I did have models of them and was familiar with such locos from when I lived next to a former GWR branch line in Somerset. No ex LMS locos on other cards either. 

• Like 8
  • Round of applause 1

Henry Wallwork cast iron Single Wheeler from c1890. Given that it is modelled wide for height/ length (easier for a child to hold?) has a GWR 'look'? Perhaps loosely based upon Aristo Class? Even this trio weigh in at pushing 2 lb weight, a full set of the floor Train would casue some damage to the Victorian Nursery as it gets dragged around the room crashing into the furniture  

20210906_142847.jpg

20210906_142924.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Canal Digger said:

Henry Wallwork cast iron Single Wheeler from c1890.

1892, at a guess?

That carriage is a better representation of a LNWR vehicle than some I could mention!

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 6
  • Funny 1

27 minutes ago, Canal Digger said:

Henry Wallwork cast iron Single Wheeler from c1890. Given that it is modelled wide for height/ length (easier for a child to hold?) has a GWR 'look'? Perhaps loosely based upon Aristo Class? Even this trio weigh in at pushing 2 lb weight, a full set of the floor Train would casue some damage to the Victorian Nursery as it gets dragged around the room crashing into the furniture  

20210906_142847.jpg

20210906_142924.jpg

I think that version is quite rare, I’ve only seen the 4-4-0 which is almost certainly a Midland Johnson 4-4-0.

Edited by Florence Locomotive Works
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

I’ve only seen the 4-4-0 which is almost certainly a Midland Johnson 4-4-0.

Well, possibly:

image.png.774e46f177aa4233010feb4f2b39bb2c.png

Without being able to see the exact shape of the chimney it's difficult to be sure...

But there's another LNWR carriage. Certainly neither engine is remotely LNWR-ish of the period! The tender is the wrong way round - somebody at the auction house from whom I stole this photo had never played trains before.

Edited by Compound2632
-ish
  • Like 6
  • Agree 2