Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

Hunt Towers is presently chaotic with the patio being rebuilt, a wildlife pond being made and today a chap is coming to repoint the chimney stack as well as carrying out some roofing repairs. Then there is the electrician to fix the water pump and replace a security light and that's just what's going on today - decorating, carpet fitting and so on are scheduled for the near future. Lord only knows how many modelling tokens will ultimately be involved.

Bear predicts that deep, deep pain is inbound on your six at a vast rate of knots......:scared:

• Agree 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

At SM42 Towers many modelling tokens have been committed and many more will require to be hoarded as a builder has been engaged. 

A new east wing is to be erected, but there will be no modelling  space added unfortunately. 

The chaos will commence sometime next spring. 

I expect lots of dust. 

Does anyone know where I can get some windscreen wipers for the telly?

Andy

• Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

And my tail warning radar is on the blink.......

Dave

Good old Monica!

Today's outing was to Slime Regis.

It was quite hilly, busy and wet once the rain started.

I found a cake shop using my snout's detecting mode...

Like  Flensburg against Monica I was able to home in on the delightful emissions.

I ended up with a large slice of Golden Syrup and ginger tart, whilst Nyda was treated to an Apricot slice.

I can sympathise with Dave's gardening woes.  It takes time to create a decent wildlife pond, especially when you have to consider its wallowing capacity for potential visitors.  

Yesterday evening was spent doing some garden design and planning for our garden.  Unfortunately we have differing ideas, although neither mentioned the GR words.

• Like 8
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

And my tail warning radar is on the blink.......

Dave

I knew someone at work who had an "Orange Putter" TWR scanner/head from a Vulcan (and Canberra) on his desk as a paperweight;  I wish I'd persuaded him to part with it now, as I'm sure it would've done quite nicely on the 'bay....:banghead:

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, AndyID said:

Jolly good stuff that Propofol, and now that the effects have worn off I will be allowed to drive the tractor today.

Hope it goes well Tony.

I used Profanol quite a bit when things are not going my way in the workshop.  It can only be used when I'm on my own. 

• Funny 11

1 hour ago, polybear said:

I knew someone at work who had an "Orange Putter" TWR scanner/head from a Vulcan (and Canberra) on his desk as a paperweight;  I wish I'd persuaded him to part with it now, as I'm sure it would've done quite nicely on the 'bay....:banghead:

I was watching an old episode of find it fix it flog it the other day and they visited the charity that looks after a Vulcan bomber and they got some parts and upcycled them including a dinghy pod in to a drinks cabinet/wall mounted shelving. The thrust nozzle paired with a glass top to make a table and one of the crew seats (none bang) was done up as a lounge chair.

Just seen a trailer for bake off that may be of interest to certain bears and hippos. A tractor is loading a trailer with 2 huge slices of jam coconut sponge cake.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2

7 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

I was watching an old episode of find it fix it flog it the other day and they visited the charity that looks after a Vulcan bomber and they got some parts and upcycled them including a dinghy pod in to a drinks cabinet/wall mounted shelving. The thrust nozzle paired with a glass top to make a table and one of the crew seats (none bang) was done up as a lounge chair.

Just seen a trailer for bake off that may be of interest to certain bears and hippos. A tractor is loading a trailer with 2 huge slices of jam coconut sponge cake.

On a slightly related note my uncle in New Zealand has for the past 10 years been building a fully operational DC-10 cockpit in a spare garage. He had to order quite a few parts from the USA and they would refuse to ship the to NZ, so we often got some unusual packages. As an example we had the entire cockpit radar and throttle assembly sitting in our  spare bedroom for a few months. I think it weighed around 70lbs.

Edited by Florence Locomotive Works
  • Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, simontaylor484 said:

I saw that too and assumed they were taking the cake to landfill. I know other people love coconut but it is something I really dislike. When I first visited Aditi’s family (after hostilities ceased) MiL did a lot of baking as a way of using the eggs from their chickens. Aditi said I ate almost any kind of cake except for coconut. Every time we visited MiL made  coconut cake, “specially for Tony”. Somehow she thought I liked it. 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium

Since I love lemon, chocolate and coconut I can join in most homemade cakefests with ease. What I really dislike is oversweet cakes - I like to taste the flavours not just sugar - which is why I'm afraid I find most commercial, and especially supermarket own brand, cakes distasteful.

Dave

• Like 8
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

On a slightly related note my uncle in New Zealand has for the past 10 years been building a fully operational DC-10 cockpit in a spare garage. He had to order quite a few parts from the USA and they would refuse to ship the to NZ, so we often got some unusual packages. As an example we had the entire cockpit radar and throttle assembly sitting in our  spare bedroom for a few months. I think it weighed around 70lbs.

Home-built flight simulator by any chance?  Here's a pretty good example - fancier ones are 3-axis on hydraulics etc.:

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/fabulous/6209307/scots-dad-10k-cockpit-flight-simulator-garage/

2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Yuck!

Even I have some dignity and some standards (however low) when choosing cake.

Bear is inclined to agree with Big H - coconut is pure dross :bad:

1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

Aditi said I ate almost any kind of cake except for coconut. Every time we visited MiL made  coconut cake, “specially for Tony”. Somehow she thought I liked it. 

The trick is to say you're seriously allergic to the offending article. If MiL continues to make it then you know she's trying to kill you off.....:jester:

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, polybear said:

The trick is to say you're seriously allergic to the offending article. If MiL continues to make it then you know she's trying to kill you off..

We were having dinner at MiL’s house in Nottingham.One of the vegetables was baby asparagus. Aditi’s dad asked where it had come from and MiL said she had picked it from the garden. FiL said he hadn’t planted any asparagus. It turned out to be some plant that vaguely looked like asparagus. No one died. 

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 11

Well we have been through the whole range of emotions at SM42 Towers tonight. 

Relief,  finally, at the result of the hooligan's game tonight. 

Mrs SM42 is less grumpy than she was earlier and all is well ( or less bad at least. )

Andy 

• Friendly/supportive 11

I've been cutting a bit of firewood for the shop's woodstove. It looks like a lot but it's surprising how quickly I can get through it in the middle of Winter. There's plenty more wood still to haul and stack and I have to move it soon because we are selling our vacant lot.

That's mostly Douglas Fir and Grand Fir.

DSCN5110.JPG.c8d42963c2eb12f5bc8bb6d53c04e0a6.JPG

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1