Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Gold

The rest of my carefully crafted week, arranged around a bit of cleaning and tidying and lots of modelling activity has been left in tatters.

Nyda was informed yesterday evening that one of the Guides she'd seen on Monday evening (ironically at the first face to face meeting in 18 months) has tested positive for Covid.

On a brighter note, I was asked to look at a 4mm scale 52xx (ex GWR 2-8-0T) that would not work.

Checked on rolling road:  Nothing.

Removed loco body and motor:  Check motor away from loco ...it works.

Replaced motor and it's all going again.

I suspect that the motor clamps over the worm gear was misaligned, causing the worm to bind against the crown wheel and stall the motor.

I have to say that the chassis of these more modern  Hornby locos are far more sophisticated than my old Triang Jinty with it's X04 motor!

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium

Hmmm, a strange cardboard box arrived in the mail today. From England? I wonder what it could be?

1068347929_GWR74110-6-0shippingbox-001.JPG.4c3a30882e6ff6e2e24e3e72041b1a77.JPG

So open it up and make my day:

428495194_GWR74110-6-0box-001.JPG.5ca0efbf6af09fc9fd704190d7bd9b25.JPG

A 1:43.5 O scale GREEN GWR pannier:

312562370_GWR74110-6-0top-002.JPG.ec4f37286dc2080f3314eddda241dd6f.JPG

Isn't this just beautiful!

1467079725_GWR74110-6-0side-003.JPG.764c8a5714a9da9f8c71cc050ae56240.JPG

The running gear:

123437646_GWR74110-6-0bottom-004.JPG.53822ef122f2221f4983cfc809e1b9c9.JPG

On a serious note, I had planned on a black one as I had plans for re-lettering and "Americanizing"; lose the buffers and link couplers and install KD couplers, I will still install the KDs at some future date or maybe build up an adapter car. This is a used one with DCC and was significantly less expensive than a new one without DCC. I will eventually swap out the DCC board with the blanking board (included). I have this (unidentified) brake van(?) that I got at a US train show and may use it:

1759164380_LMS732418brakevan-005.JPG.fb5511496dfb40653b05abf36c49b4d7.JPG

So what if it is LMS! :yahoo: Seriously, can anyone identify this; kit-built or ready-to-run and manufacturer? TIA.

Note: The efficiency of the Royal Mail and the US Post Office is to be congratulated: I ordered this from Hatton's on 09sep21 and received it today 15sep21! :clapping: Seven days door-to-door, that is a record for me; the shortest before was thirteen days on a private sale.

Edited by J. S. Bach
To add some information and change some text.
  • Like 13

30 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

Hmmm, a strange cardboard box arrived in the mail today. From England? I wonder what it could be?

1068347929_GWR74110-6-0shippingbox-001.JPG.4c3a30882e6ff6e2e24e3e72041b1a77.JPG

So open it up and make my day:

428495194_GWR74110-6-0box-001.JPG.5ca0efbf6af09fc9fd704190d7bd9b25.JPG

A 1:43.5 O scale GREEN GWR pannier:

312562370_GWR74110-6-0top-002.JPG.ec4f37286dc2080f3314eddda241dd6f.JPG

Isn't this just beautiful!

1467079725_GWR74110-6-0side-003.JPG.764c8a5714a9da9f8c71cc050ae56240.JPG

The running gear:

123437646_GWR74110-6-0bottom-004.JPG.53822ef122f2221f4983cfc809e1b9c9.JPG

On a serious note, I had planned on a black one as I had plans for re-lettering and "Americanizing"; lose the buffers and link couplers and install KD couplers, I will still install the KDs at some future date or maybe build up an adapter car. This is a used one with DCC and was significantly less expensive than a new one without DCC. I will eventually swap out the DCC board with the blanking board (included). I have this (unidentified) brake van(?) that I got at a US train show and may use it:

1759164380_LMS732418brakevan-005.JPG.fb5511496dfb40653b05abf36c49b4d7.JPG

So what if it is LMS! :yahoo: Seriously, can anyone identify this; kit-built or ready-to-run and manufacturer? TIA.

Note: The efficiency of the Royal Mail and the US Post Office is to be congratulated: I ordered this from Hatton's on 09sep21 and received it today 15sep21! :clapping: Seven days door-to-door, that is a record for me; the shortest before was thirteen days on a private sale.

Could be a Slater's kit, especially if it is plastic.

Andy

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

If you can post a picture of the underside of the brake van it might well be identifiable.

Jamie

Here it is:

1806660385_LMS732418brakevan-006.JPG.2062eb9ead36d9fdeca6b3889e1cbca1.JPG

I am not sure what those two glue piles are/were for.

I bought this with the idea of converting it to a trolley work motor but like it too much as it is so it stays an LMS brake van.

Edited by J. S. Bach
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

Here it is:

1806660385_LMS732418brakevan-006.JPG.2062eb9ead36d9fdeca6b3889e1cbca1.JPG

I am not sure what those two glue piles are/were for.

I'd almost bet a slice of LDC that the glue secures some extra ballast weight - lead usually, though depleted uranium would work better.....:laugh:

• Agree 5

• RMweb Premium

I'm no expert on non-Midland Slaters kits but the underside doesn't look like Slaters to me.

Jill is going for a long walk with our friend Jean this morning so it's down to the shed for me to do some more DAS cobbling. I'm about 70% of the way through laying them now then after a few days drying time I'll set about painting and muckying them (that's a technical term). By the time they're finished I'll have used two packs of DAS and getting on for 100% of my patience with the process.

Have a good day y'all.

Dave  

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

I'm about 70% of the way through laying them now then after a few days drying time I'll set about painting and muckying them (that's a technical term). By the time they're finished I'll have used two packs of DAS and getting on for

Do you have any photos of said cobbling?  I'd be interested to see what it looks like.

• Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

I'm no expert on non-Midland Slaters kits but the underside doesn't look like Slaters to me.

Jill is going for a long walk with our friend Jean this morning so it's down to the shed for me to do some more DAS cobbling. I'm about 70% of the way through laying them now then after a few days drying time I'll set about painting and muckying them (that's a technical term). By the time they're finished I'll have used two packs of DAS and getting on for 100% of my patience with the process.

Have a good day y'all.

Dave  

Oh for large slabs of poured concrete..................

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Oh for large slabs of poured concrete..................

Quite so. Sometimes the idea of laying out an oval of track on the carpet and simply running trains around as in days of yore is quite appealing.

Dave

Edited by Dave Hunt
  • Like 6
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I suspect that the motor clamps over the worm gear was misaligned, causing the worm to bind against the crown wheel and stall the motor.

Had the same problem with my T9. Turned out to be a distorted Mazak component, replaced FOC by Hornby. Fortunately purchased through one of their long gone concession shops when they were having a sale and the original receipt was still in the box. 

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Quite so. Sometimes the idea of laying out an oval of track on the carpet and simply running trains around as in days of yore is quite appealing.

Dave

I'm currently making a routing fixture to manufacture halving joints.

I decided that the ex South Greenfield legs would be much improved as they are currently just butt jointed and held together with wood screws.

They will be considerably strengthened if the current butt joints were halved, glued and pinned, extra stiffening can then be applied with some 6mm thick ply triangular corner pieces.

I'm a glutton for punishment and am probably over engineering yet again, but I'm convinced they are less likely to wobble after my enhancements.

• Like 9
  • Agree 2

Hmmm do you wobble before enhancements HH or will that be revealing too much personnel information?

44 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I decided that the ex South Greenfield legs would be much improved as they are currently just butt jointed and held together with wood screws.

They will be considerably strengthened if the current butt joints were halved, glued and pinned, extra stiffening can then be applied with some 6mm thick ply triangular corner pieces.

I'm a glutton for punishment and am probably over engineering yet again, but I'm convinced they are less likely to wobble after my enhancements.

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Hmmm do you wobble before enhancements HH or will that be revealing too much personnel information?

The last time somebody slapped my a*se hard, Venice got flooded.

The ripple effect on natural elements allegedly.

• Funny 9

1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

Certainly a belt and braces approach.

I usually use the table saw for half and half joints but i prefer mitres stuck together with evo stick contact adhesive (not the solvent free) it gives you a bit of adjustment time then clamped using a loop of thick string tensioned with scrap wood blocks inserted between string and the framing to pull tight

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

Kim's obviously updating his Triang Hornby battlespace trainset. 4mm version will be announced in the Oxford Rail range next year.

• Like 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

Kim's obviously updating his Triang Hornby battlespace trainset. 4mm version will be announced in the Oxford Rail range next year.

I wonder what state the track is in after the launch.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Agree 7

4 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Better to over engineer than risk dumping several hundred quids worth of models from hight

• Agree 9