Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

I once bought a right-hand drive (ex-US Post Office) International Scout but never got around to putting it on the road and soon sold it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Harvester_Scout

Note that there is no mention of the Post Office ones in the Wiki article, but they did exist.

I've seen pictures of US Mail vans with right hand drive, basically a box on wheels fitted with a lantern windscreen and some with a good old British Perkins diesel. I couldn't help thinking they would be great for transporting layouts. I wonder how much it would cost to import one and get it running on UK roads.

• Like 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

4 hours ago, AndyID said:

I was watching a drama on Britbox the other night but it was in a foreign language with subtitles. I had no idea what language they were speaking or where it was filmed but the odd thing was they occasionally dropped into English and the cars seemed to have UK style number plates.

After about fifteen minutes I eventually twigged it was in Cardiff.

My brother has lived in Cornwall for 40 years. One evening, after a hard day at work, he was vegging in front of the TV, watching a subtitled movie. It was only when a scene appeared, shot in the Clydeside town we grew up in, that he

suddenly realized he could understand the actors.

• Like 2
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, pH said:

My brother has lived in Cornwall for 40 years. One evening, after a hard day at work, he was vegging in front of the TV, watching a subtitled movie. It was only when a scene appeared, shot in the Clydeside town we grew up in, that he

suddenly realized he could understand the actors.

Reminds me of the story of the hijab-wearing woman talking with her children, travelling on a train near Newport.  A bloke nearby, obviously unable to understand her (even though she wasn't talking to him), starts ranting at her to, "Speak English, we speak English in this country!".  At least one other person jumped in to point out that the train was currently in Wales and she was speaking Welsh. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, polybear said:

Plus having to find somewhere to store them for 10 or 11 months a year...

We keep ours under the Scalextric track in the garage. We don't have winter wheels for the Fiesta we just get the tyre place to swap the tyres over. The winter tyres are not on for just a month. we change them when temperatures get down to below about 10C.

The Evoque has mud+snow rated tyres all year.

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

The Evoque has mud+snow rated tyres all year.

Though they are W speed rated  on 20inch alloys and fairly low profile which does seem odd for a M+S rated tyre. They do work in snow as we had some during a winter trip to the Lake District in December 2019.

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 6

1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

On my initial police training course there was a lad from Ashington north of Newcastle. Even the geordies strughled to understand  him and the monkey hangers had no chance.

Jamie

We had something similar when I was training for my qualification in horticulture. There were a couple of lads from Geordie land and when they got going we had to get the translator in. It did get better once you got to know them or perhaps they just learnt to speak English. 

Having said that I did get accused of speaking posh on returning up north from doing missionary work in the South.

Edited by Winslow Boy
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Matthew, please. William was his nephew and works manager, until he moved to become locomotive superintendent of a small line south of the Thames.

I did not see a mention of Mathew in the Wiki piece that I read, oh well.

• Friendly/supportive 4

4 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

I've seen pictures of US Mail vans with right hand drive, basically a box on wheels fitted with a lantern windscreen and some with a good old British Perkins diesel. I couldn't help thinking they would be great for transporting layouts. I wonder how much it would cost to import one and get it running on UK roads.

They use RHD Jeep Wranglers here.

• Informative/Useful 5

12 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

You asked. The Phrase a Kirtley usually refers to one of Matthews, outside framed 0-6-0's such as this one.

P2256647.JPG.e2d70cbcd7bd6eda81c150c67898d2f0.JPG

The Midland had rather a lot of them, the last one lasted until just after nationalisation.

However he did produce other locos and his 2-4-0's looked rather nice.

141029-3.jpg.dc7cdcaad5d449632bad75bc4ab447ee.jpg

This was built by my late friend Tony Bond, who saw the last goods 0-6-0 at Derby.  Apparently the crews liked using it as a shunting loco due to the lever reverse.  I am responsible for 2716.   No 14 excelled itself on my layout.   I had unwittingly built my platforms a little close to the track and no 14 walked along with it's outside cranks on the platform.

I believer that Matthew was the inventor of the brick arch that allowed locos to burn coal rather than coke.

Jamie

Weren't Kirtleys double framed, rather than outside framed? 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

... which all points to why the Tudors created the institution of "the King's English" (or Queen's, as it might be) - because they recognised the importance, in an age when even spelling used by speakers from the same area was more a matter of opinion than fact, of a single, universally understood language in which legislation and the business of government be carried out. It was central to their great project (and despite the present fashion for portraying them on television as near-insane psycopaths, they thought deeply about their goals) of creating a unified nation in which the destructive family loyalties of the age were transferred to the Crown and Nation. This wasn't actually a new idea, it dated to the time of Alfred, but the Tudors worked out how to bring it about. 

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, rockershovel said:

Weren't Kirtleys double framed, rather than outside framed? 

Yes I should have said outside cranks.  Thst doesn't mean me when I go for a walk.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 2
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold

It has been reported to me that TNM has received some exposure over on ERs.

I'm  sure  I can cope with the huge influx of adoring fans as long as they leave their awl behind.

The cassette table saga continues with two of the four having had their lids attached.  

The other two will be similarly dealt with today after I have painted the inside of the replacement airing cupboard door, which will also coincide with Nyda leaving for Llandudno.  She has to go and do some admin work on the properties up their as well as ensure her brother renews his Rent Smart Wales landlord's qualification. (Yes, an online course followed by a test!)

Providing there is evidence of work being done around the place during her absence, I hope to get the cassette table legs I already have, modified and fitted.

However, prior to the leg fitting, I will need to smooth down all the tops and side faces to get rid of the lumps of excess plastic wood that was required to fill various holes, and get the tops, sides and under surfaces painted...

I hate going to shows and viewing a fabulously crafted model railway and then look into the off scene storage where the finish of the whole area is, let us say, somewhat lacking.

At least I can maintain a dismal standard throughout the whole edifice.

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

An exciting morning in prospect as it has been decreed in daily routine orders that I will be erecting new curtain poles then respraying some garden furniture pending its winter storage. This afternoon, though, Jill is taking my Dad out for lunch then to his clinic appointment in Shrewsbury so with luck I will be off to the workshop to set about the last stage of the layout cobbling. For now, though, there is a muggocoffee and judging by the aroma from the kitchen a nice bacon butty in the offing.

TTFN

Dave

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

It has been reported to me that TNM has received some exposure over on ERs.

I'm  sure  I can cope with the huge influx of adoring fans as long as they leave their awl behind.

I have been telling folk that TNM is a friendly forum where discussion of model railway subjects is welcome. I have pointed out, however, that the words green, pannier and western are specifically banned and attract severe penalties :P

Dave

• Agree 2
  • Funny 11
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

the words green, pannier and western are specifically banned and attract severe penalties :P

image.png.29d33a3ed63b03a1c2feb3418e216200.pngimage.png.d7f4f539031c52958a7c31c9fd920e1b.pngimage.png.6146e378ff1cd48aa128e32e7c27f7d9.png

Go on then...

(NB that middle photo is for the BG enthusiasts amongst us.)

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 5
  • Funny 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

image.png.29d33a3ed63b03a1c2feb3418e216200.pngimage.png.d7f4f539031c52958a7c31c9fd920e1b.pngimage.png.6146e378ff1cd48aa128e32e7c27f7d9.png

Go on then...

(NB that middle photo is for the BG enthusiasts amongst us.)

Those aren't words, Stephen, they are pictures. And although stumped, overdecorative and cowboy could apply to Swindon and its products, they are not on the banned list.

Dave

Edited by Dave Hunt
  • Like 1
  • Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

I have been telling folk that TNM is a friendly forum where discussion of model railway subjects is welcome. I have pointed out, however, that the words green, pannier and western are specifically banned and attract severe penalties :P

Dave

Horse patootie!!

1172612778_GWR74110-6-0side-003.JPG.2294bfa4f463d4b25ceb27da841ed5f0.JPG

:clapping::jester::dancer::yahoo:

Edited by J. S. Bach
  • Like 2
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1