Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, rockershovel said:

Weren't Kirtleys double framed, rather than outside framed? 

Yes, although the earlier ones originally had the inner frames bolted to the front of the firebox, so they weren't full length. By the early 1860s it was realised that treating the boiler as a structural component wasn't really such a good idea.

11 hours ago, rockershovel said:

... which all points to why the Tudors created the institution of "the King's English" (or Queen's, as it might be) 

The Tudors were 40% female by monarchical headcount* and 42% by regnal duration. Elizabeth's long reign (or that of Mary Stuart in Scotland) probably wouldn't have been possible if her elder sister had not established the principle that a woman could be monarch in her own right.

*Their own heads, that is, not those of others that they had removed.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 5

Just finished a run of 5 night shifts and an early start for me as the man who does was coming round at 9 to service the boiler.

After that I wasted, or rather put to productive use, the short period till lunch doing nothing in particular.

The lawn has been cut to give the bin men something to collect on Monday and I have contemplated the junk yard AKA the garage. 

The Royal decree that it should be converted to my hobby room is now published in local periodicals, but some must be sacrificed to extend the utility room.

This will require a serious clear out. The shed is full, so that will need one too.

Luckily bonfire night approaches, so there should be less trips to the tip.

I have an overwhelming feeling of gloom as there is much mess, clearing and decorating on  the horizon.  

Oh joy

Andy

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 9

Afternoon all,

Just finished a quiz so have now to do for the rest of this class.

The big news is that we finally were able to schedule a contractor to do the long delayed rebuild of my sister and I bathroom/hall (which is still in original 1950s condition, bar the hall floor which is new) along with replacing some retaining walls appraise which are made of old Frisco ties. This was all supposed to be done starting in July of last year but unfortunately it had to be postponed for covid. This means that I will know longer have a convenient sink for testing boilers in, but oh well.

A new steering wheel hub was also fitted to the kart as the other was affixed with a bodge job doe by the previous owner, albeit a good bodge. It’s anodized aluminum, so it does get scratches over time, but the important part is that it matches the wheel hubs.

9FE9494E-C49F-4FB2-ACD2-2D350D81638C.jpeg.1b9a5b58a53ccefdd04836d02f8e787d.jpeg

You can also see Pwllheli in the background which just acquired a new old stock Mainline 5 coach rake of BR chocolate and creams, seen in the down platform with my B12 having pulled into the headshunt. Once they get weathered they should work quite well.

Douglas

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Where's the eye bleach gone. I need to check my vaccination status. On Friday I was OK becsuse I got plenty of eyefulsvofca duchess after the pannier.

Jamie

I had a retinal eye test yesterday and given the all clear and now someone posts a pic of a pannier.

• Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 5

3 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

I had a retinal eye test yesterday and given the all clear and now someone posts a pic of a pannier.

Well would you prefer a King or a Castle?

image.png.08df7801e0614a4f72bd9f47323ffa43.png

image.png.ac0975215a133b84ca252e523c2b55bf.png

As a Bristol born lad now living in Chippenham, I have to stick up for God's Wonderful Railway 

• Like 3
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

They all look the same though

My layout is based on the earlyish LMR period of British Railways but I do have a few GWR and ex GWR locos and coaches. A Castle hauled train had no problem departing the station but a King (nice BR blue model) got stuck, requiring some precision (ha, wielded mini-surform) reprofiling of the platform edge.

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

Horse patootie!!

1172612778_GWR74110-6-0side-003.JPG.2294bfa4f463d4b25ceb27da841ed5f0.JPG

:clapping::jester::dancer::yahoo:

I was aware that there are several different types of Greasy Wet and Rusty engines with water tanks slung on the sides but the Horse Patootie Class is a new one to me.

Dave 

• Round of applause 2
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Tony_S said:

My layout is based on the earlyish LMR period of British Railways but I do have a few GWR and ex GWR locos and coaches. A Castle hauled train had no problem departing the station but a King (nice BR blue model) got stuck, requiring some precision (ha, wielded mini-surform) reprofiling of the platform edge.

The Kings were quite capable of reprofiling platform edges themselves when they ventured  on to other lines such as the Great Central.

• Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

The Kings were quite capable of reprofiling platform edges themselves when they ventured  on to other lines such as the Great Central.

I did originally use a few “Centenary” coaches (ex Airfix GMR) to set platform clearances but at that time didn’t have a King.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

I believe that the same thing happened to platform edges at Stoke on Trent when the Stanier Pacifics were first tried through there on the London - Manchester trains.

Dave

My Stanier Pacifics are fine though I don’t have any of the streamlined versions. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

After their withdraw 6023 and 6024 went from Cardiff Canton to Woodhams at Barry.

What could have been termed their last great act of defiance,  was dislodging some of the down platform edge coping stones as they passed through Cogan station.  (T'was not a double red route, so the two Kings should not have been sent down there.)

Fortunately, they are both still with us.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Tony_S said:

My Stanier Pacifics are fine though I don’t have any of the streamlined versions. 

I think that the problem with the Pacifics ar Stoke was caused by the curvature of the station and the overhang of the big locomotives. 

Dave

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

I think that the problem with the Pacifics ar Stoke was caused by the curvature of the station and the overhang of the big locomotives. 

Dave

Unfortunately, I am well aware of large locomotive overhang!

Especially as I have a short wheelbase.

image.png.7f3ed41c47171044931f69aeffed87bb.png

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 14
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

Dave

My King got stuck on a slight curve at the end of the platform. The contact was just sufficient to halt the loco. Perhaps I should have sent one of my ON30 locos round. They would have modified the platform and created clearance for any of my OO locos. 

• Like 10
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, laurenceb said:

Sad

I hope the family weren't complaining for years about, "How much he spent on his toy trains", and now rubbing their hands with glee at what it's all worth?  When they say they didn't know, do they mean, "We knew what he spent, but didn't know it would all go up in value"?

A friend of ours used to have a couple of Fleischmann DB steam locos in a display case in the living room, alongside the children's sports trophies etc.  Although she herself had no interest in model railways, it turned out her father - who'd died not that long before - was a keen collector and she wanted to keep a couple as it reminded her of him.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I always cringe when certain types gentlemen boast about how much they spend on their hobby, and how their wife does not know how much it's worth.

I bet they are tying themselves in knots whilst they lay in their wooden box  and wife sells it all for a pittance to an unscrupulous individual, or worse gives them all away to the little kids next door.

• Agree 15

Strangely enough I had just been looking at the auction catalogue on line I subscribe to a few Yorkshire auction house catalogues via email and Dugglebys is one of them. There is some OO in the catalogue as well as dublo buildings and other accessories. I assume it is part of the collection in Question but it does nt give vendor details apart from the Adrian Batty collection. It would be lovely to go to the sale tomorrow and have a day in Scarborough finished of with a battered sausage and chips

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I always cringe when certain types gentlemen boast about how much they spend on their hobby, and how their wife does not know how much it's worth.

I bet they are tying themselves in knots whilst they lay in their wooden box  and wife sells it all for a pittance to an unscrupulous individual, or worse gives them all away to the little kids next door.

One reason to leave instructions should the worst happen

A dear departed friend of mine when learning of his terminal illness did the selling himself and kept only a few things to keep his interest going. 

Mr SM42 tolerates my hobbies rather than take an active interest in the model railway market.

She admits she wouldn't have a clue where to start.

Andy

• Like 2
  • Agree 8