Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Don't worry - both Astra Zeneca and Pfizer are in the process of developing vaccines against Pannieritis that enable those vaccinated to look at, and even operate, such machines but to maintain a healthy devotion to crimson lake.  Whether face coverings will be necessary is still undecided though.

Dave

Rumour has it that a whole new breed of Anti-vaxxer is already up and running and just waiting to break cover to protest against such a vaccine.  It's ringleader, a Mr. H. Ippo, is currently remaining silent on any protest tactics; however the fact that he always seems to have a gobfull of cake may have something to do with this.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, BR60103 said:

Where's the "Jealous" button?

We have to wait till 6 months after our 2nd jab which falls on Christmas  Day.  As to the anto pannieritis jab, I took part in an early trial and am well immune.  I am willing to donate antibodies if my palm is crossed with eccles cakes.

Jamie

• Funny 11

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, Tony_S said:

I was once asked to look after the NMRA stand at an exhibition (Leytonstone) while the people who knew anything about American trains went for lunch and a look round the exhibition. Fortunately the person who came to make enquiries was actually interested in scenery techniques .

I had a similar experience many years ago at the Derby Show. One of my friends had a demo stand covered in soldering irons and assorted tools along with a number of 4mm brass chassis that he had built, some with wheels spinning on rolling roads. Time for lunch and I was asked to just look after all his kits and equipment - but every time a club member went past I got the comment 'What the h*ll are you doing sitting there - you've never built a model in your life' !!   That comment is still true . . . . . . . 

• Like 1
  • Funny 14
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, polybear said:

Rumour has it that a whole new breed of Anti-vaxxer is already up and running and just waiting to break cover to protest against such a vaccine.  It's ringleader, a Mr. H. Ippo, is currently remaining silent on any protest tactics; however the fact that he always seems to have a gobfull of cake may have something to do with this.

How many times do I have to tell you?

It's gobful, not gobfull!

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 8

4 hours ago, Mike Bellamy said:

I had a similar experience many years ago at the Derby Show. One of my friends had a demo stand covered in soldering irons and assorted tools along with a number of 4mm brass chassis that he had built, some with wheels spinning on rolling roads. Time for lunch and I was asked to just look after all his kits and equipment - but every time a club member went past I got the comment 'What the h*ll are you doing sitting there - you've never built a model in your life' !!   That comment is still true . . . . . . . 

One day Mike, one day

• Like 2
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Mike Bellamy said:

What the h*ll are you doing sitting there - you've never built a model in your life' !

Was it you who used to  work with NG  Trains at shows? I assumed it was you. You were very convincing about the products. 

• Like 3
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

If you're of Welsh extraction, 'll' sounds as if you're trying to spray the cake from between your teeth.

Not far from us is a tourist farm called Llama Land - as we drove past and I, without thinking, pronounced it Clhama Land I got laughed at...  

• Like 4
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, laurenceb said:

One day Mike, one day

Well I didn't get much chance this weekend did I as I was on the pay desk for 90% of the show opening time - thanks for your voluntary donation of £5 to the rebuilding fund. About five years ago a surveyor said our building wasn't in danger of imminent collapse but we should consider 5-10 years as the remaining life - so we're on the final countdown. What our visitors didn't see was the bucket on the floor behind the O Gauge layout as the roof was leaking again - in the same place that was supposed to be fixed last year. Time to find another contractor - so your £5 and the other 386 contributions will go to the building fund.

57 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Was it you who used to  work with NG  Trains at shows? I assumed it was you. You were very convincing about the products. 

That's right Tony - and it was the same Paul Martin who was running that demonstration at one of the early shows at the Assembly Rooms. I had met Paul at the club and been with him to the Festiniog a couple of times where he was a volunteer driver - at that time he was an apprentice electrician at the BR Carriage and Wagon Works in Derby - then he got a full time job on the FR followed by commissioning work on Docklands before ending up in York working for a railway consultancy. His love for narrow gauge turned to all things American and he set up EDM Models as the retail side of ngtrains.com. What started out as very part time developed into full time after redundancy and I went to a number of shows to help out - after listening to Paul so many times, I did start to understand some of what I was selling. He was so knowledgeable about so many things that we operated a queuing system for those with questions - if I hadn't been there he wouldn't of sold much. Covid and a number of unrelated health problems has forced a rethink so there will now be a lot less shows and instead of a long wheelbase van, the stock is going to be just a few boxes in the back of his car.

Edited by Mike Bellamy
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Well that's put a damper on things

A full Monday of activity was planned but I am now on light duties as managed to do my back again whilst tightened up a doorknob just after 8 this morning

Don't ask cos I don't know either.

Andy

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, BSW01 said:

This is my first post on this thread and I suspect that it won’t be my last. I think most folk on here know me. Anyway, the reason for my post is to show off what me and Ava, my 13 year old granddaughter, have been building over the last few Saturday’s. It started off as a down loadable kit, which has since been heavily modified to make it more prototypical, although it is still not 100% accurate, but it’s closer than the original kit was.  ...snip...

Not knowing what the prototype is, I would say that the model is quite nice just as it is.

14 hours ago, BSW01 said:

...snip... This evening, I bought a loco kit from the bay of fleas. I’d been watching it for some time and it had been re-listed a few times and I received an offer of a 10% discount, so I succumbed to an offer!

Been there, done that, and been, usually, quite satisfied with the outcomes. Saving a few pounds/dollars is always nice. ;)

Some years back, I asked a friend coming over from the UK to visit to bring an OO water tower kit (Metcalfe, I believe, but please do not quote me!  :o) so I could blow it up to O scale. Square tanks on brick buildings were unusual over here, the vast majority were round and on stilts or some kind of structural work. The round tank is a better design structurally I would think. I have not done it yet.

Edited by J. S. Bach
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

Not far from us is a tourist farm called Llama Land - as we drove past and I, without thinking, pronounced it Clhama Land I got laughed at...  

We used to say the same with the Italian motorcycle manufacturers, Benelli.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 9

35 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

We used to say the same with the Italian motorcycle manufacturers, Benelli.

Isn't that near Swansea?

Andy

Edited by SM42
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, BSW01 said:

This evening, I bought a loco kit from the bay of fleas. I’d been watching it for some time and it had been re-listed a few times and I received an offer of a 10% discount, so I succumbed to an offer!

I had a similar windfall last week on ebay.fr. A Mistral X3800 Picasso railcar, with sound, was fairly attractively priced - but being one of those with horrid yellow ends, hadn't sold in many months. And by 'watching' it, the seller got wind of the fact that he might have a buyer at last, and knocked 11% off, so I bought it. Were you to look in my cupboard, you might ask me why I would want yet another Mistral Picasso? Especially one w the horrid yellow ends? That is because I can swap the chassis into X3965, currently running with a modified Mistral non-DCC chassis, which means very limited lighting etc options. Mistral sold three versions of the Picasso - silver (analogue) titanium (DCC silent) and gold (DCC sound). The titanium ones were rare, but I have managed to acquire several of the titanium PCBs, which simply plug in place of the analogue ones. The sound is just a bonus. 

I continue to await LS Models' release of the unique blue and white refurbished Picasso, 93953, that ran on the Bréauté - Fecamp line some years back, and now plies the rails near me in the short season that TRANSVAP operates each year. Despite atrocious track, the ride is sublime.

• Like 13

9 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

We have to wait till 6 months after our 2nd jab which falls on Christmas  Day.  As to the anto pannieritis jab, I took part in an early trial and am well immune.  I am willing to donate antibodies if my palm is crossed with eccles cakes.

Jamie

You do realise that if the frogs cut off the power point to Guersay then one of the retaliatory strikes being considered is the banñing of the living export of Eccles Cakes.

• Funny 8

• RMweb Premium

There I was having a coffee and doing a crossword after the morning's domestic duties had been carried out, happily contemplating an afternoon in the workshop, when the most dreadful six words in the English language were uttered by the nearest and dearest, namely, "When you have a few minutes....." The chilling shock momentarily gave me the shudders, made more profound by that awful follow-up, "It's only a little job, shouldn't take long." It turned out to be the mounting of a bracket in the conservatory for hanging some sort of horticultural display and at first seemed as though it would indeed be quick and simple but turned out to be far from it (funny old thing eh?). Additionally I discovered a couple of things that also needed sorting out, as is often the case. Hence, I've just finished cleaning up the brick dust and other detritus resulting from my efforts and the time remaining before evening directives take effect means that it's not really worth getting started on the modelling front so a visit to TNM seemed the best bet. 

Ah, well, the best laid plans of mice and men........

Stop press.... The fixing of the bracket and the other local improvements have been well received and sufficient brownie points awarded to earn half a day's workshop time tomorrow. Hoorah!

Dave

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Hence, I've just finished cleaning up the brick dust and other detritus resulting from my efforts and the time remaining before evening directives take effect means that it's not really worth getting started on the modelling front so a visit to TNM seemed the best bet. 

image.png.90298af5b74ea0885a941c9e9dd941df.png

It was fine until he put the hammer drill into the wall!

• Like 1
  • Funny 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

56 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

"So, when you have a few minutes............."

Dave

Or the alternative " you've got a day off tomorrow. You can redecorate the house"

Andy

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4